Poland Union Elementary - Ich Support

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I see it now (in the second photo). You say it's white in color? Does it look to be a growth on top of the skin or something eating into the skin?

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is the dark square looking spot that big and by his fin. With th white lights on it actually looks like its green/reddish. It looks like it growing on top of the skin and thats what the wrasses are picking at.

Today its almost gone but yesterday there was a bunch of white stuff, not ich, that actually looked like dead skin the was bubbling up. But it appears to be a lot better today. Eating fine today as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an infection that the fish's immune system is fighting off. The wrasses are probably eating the dead skin tissue. I would start soaking the fish food with vitamin supplements to give the immune system a boost, and also have a broad spectrum antibiotic (exs. Kanaplex, Furan-2) on standby just in case.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the tangs have been in QT they wont eat their veggies. Have tried green, red, and purple nori. What can i introduce to the tank for them to eat so maintain a balanced diet and stay healthy. I know the veggies are very important for tangs.

Update, whatever wss on the blue tang seems to be gone now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the tangs have been in QT they wont eat their veggies. Have tried green, red, and purple nori. What can i introduce to the tank for them to eat so maintain a balanced diet and stay healthy. I know the veggies are very important for tangs.

Are you still treating with copper? If so, nori will absorb a little of that and make it taste bad. You can't put the fish back in the DT until the 76 days are up.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still treating with copper. Even more so since the ich showed it's face again over a week ago.

Should I not worry about the nori or getting veggies into them?

What do you recommend I do from here? Like I said a few previous posts ago, ich came back (I think because I lowered the copper to get the lower tang to eat) and it appears to be gone now. How much longer should they be in the copper before I remove it?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you recommend I do from here? Like I said a few previous posts ago, ich came back (I think because I lowered the copper to get the lower tang to eat) and it appears to be gone now. How much longer should they be in the copper before I remove it?

Ideally you want to treat for 30 days from the last time you saw white spots on your fish. When you do water changes, are you adding copper to the replacement water before dumping it into the QT?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still treating with copper. Even more so since the ich showed it's face again over a week ago.

Should I not worry about the nori or getting veggies into them?

Copper treatment should be for 30 days at therapeutic levels. there is a shorter way but it envolves having another qt ready to go. As long as they are eating the other meaty selections I would keep going.

Edit to say: oops! Humble beat me to it! lol

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want to treat for 30 days from the last time you saw white spots on your fish. When you do water changes, are you adding copper to the replacement water before dumping it into the QT?

Sorry bud, just saw this response. I add the correct amount of copper into the clean water before going into the QT.

Can someone direct me to some good information on Head and Lateral line disease? I think the tangs are getting it and I think it's because they won't eat their veggies. Can't get them to eat the green stuff just like my kids.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had something happen today that never happened and im worried.

The school gave me a box of instant ocean (never used before), i mixed it up for 6 hours then did a 15 gallon water change. Turn the tank lights back on and its super cloudy. My basement is really dark and i mix it in a brute trash can so i didnt know this before putting it in. I did notice some cloudiness half way through putting it in the tank but i just thought that was normal from stirring everything up. After i get all the water in the tank i noticed a bunch of salts in the bottom of the brute that were not dissolved, this never happens. And, looking back on it now when i opened one of the sealed bags there was some weirdness, the salt was a bit clumpy and it just seemed to have more moisture in it than the other salts i had used before. Didnt think anything of it because i never used IO before and the BAG WAS SEALED!! Im lost.

Anyway, because the water is cloudy and there were undissolved salts does that mean the salt is bad and can it do any harm to the fish? This type of IO was not the reef crystals type.

Quick update. Last week i put some carbon in the tank to start removing the copper and just did a 15 gallon water change. All these fish except for the hippo will be going back home. Because of the history with hippos and how many problems we had we are not going to chance putting it back in the tank so i am either going to keep it or find a appropriate home for it. I would absolutely take it if i didnt already have 2 tangs, a yellow and a sailfin. Im not worried about the hippo giving them problems because this one was already very friendly, when i had it there were never any problems with aggression. Im worried about the other 2. Any thoughts? The hippo would be the biggest fish in the tank so its got that going for him but im not too sure that means anything.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you either got an old box of IO or moisture got to it. Personally, I'd pitch it.

How big is the DT you are wanting to put the Hippo in with the two other tangs?

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like there is nothing to worry about. The fact that the water is still cloudy and the salts didnt mix right wont have any effect on the fish?

Right now they are in a 75g with a wrasse, 2 clowns and a chromis. My 120g is already under way so soon everyone will be in that tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like there is nothing to worry about. The fact that the water is still cloudy and the salts didnt mix right wont have any effect on the fish?

Right now they are in a 75g with a wrasse, 2 clowns and a chromis. My 120g is already under way so soon everyone will be in that tank.

Have you double checked the SG of the tank you did the WC on? That would be my main concern.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It raised it 2 points from what it was but its within range

That's not good, to instantly raise SG .002. SG (and temp) between the water vat and tank should match perfectly. It's very important to maintain stable parameters for sick (or healthy) livestock.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any long term effects from what just happened? Its been 2 days and everyone is doing just fine. I will make sure that it never happens again. I just ended up tossing the salt.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any long term effects from what just happened? Its been 2 days and everyone is doing just fine. I will make sure that it never happens again. I just ended up tossing the salt.

If all the livestock are looking fine, you should be OK by now.

Back