Polishing scratched acrylic

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this or not, but here goes.

SO, I have an acrylic "look down" box, that I really love. Unfortunately, I've got some scratches, smudges and even a tiny bit of super glue on it. Yeah, I've not always used it JUST for photography. It's been within reach, when I've needed something that holds water, to place a coral frag in, a time or two.

I promise, if someone can give me advice, on how to remove the scratches and smudges, I'll keep it out of reach and ONLY use it for photography!!!

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, thanks for the tips!! Looks like it's time to head to Home Depot or Lowes...lol. Can I find Novus at either of those or will I need to order it online? Is Novus some type of "rubbing compound?" Hmmm, I'm going to have to search for my drill as well...lol.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to get it at those stores not sure... Most car polish will work to a extent... Try a automotive store for head light repair kits they have all ya need..;)

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, on another forum, I've received very similar advice, with one difference, or addition. Someone said that with each change in grit, I should sand at a different direction. For instance, sand left to right, with one grit, up and down, with the next grit, creating a "crosshatch" pattern. What do you think?

Heck, without thinking about this, I'd have probably sanded in a circular motion, since there's no "grain" to follow...lol

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, on another forum, I've received very similar advice, with one difference, or addition. Someone said that with each change in grit, I should sand at a different direction. For instance, sand left to right, with one grit, up and down, with the next grit, creating a "crosshatch" pattern. What do you think?

Heck, without thinking about this, I'd have probably sanded in a circular motion, since there's no "grain" to follow...lol
You need to go 90* to the previous direction, to remove those scratches. You also overlap by 1/2 to 1", expanding outwards. This makes the scratches smaller and smaller, till they are not visible.

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
home depot doesn't have sand paper in that high of grit, at least i didn't see it last time when i was there looking for it...maybe try an automotive store. I have the same problem with my little lookdown box so i'm gonna give it a shot.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps but not a really big Deal iMHO.. Then again I do it every day so I know what to look for... Micro mesh is the best things hands down but it's gonna cost more than your top down box.. If you are restoring a tank or need to fix scratches with the tank running it's safe under water... The kit is nc-78

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back