Poll: Alk Monitoring

Alk Monitoring System - Which are you using or considering?

• KH Guardian

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • KH Director

Votes: 41 5.5%
  • Trident

Votes: 191 25.5%
  • Alkatronic

Votes: 38 5.1%
  • MIndstream

Votes: 11 1.5%
  • Reefbot

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Pacific Sun

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Other or I don't use an Alk monitoring system

Votes: 434 57.9%

• Total voters

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was excited for Trident but sending it in to Neptune every 18-24 months for routine service has me questioning it. Costing 150-200$ (or "under 100$" for the DIY kit) is a little absurd... and they'll tell us more about this "in a couple months."

They want us to invest 600$ on the unit and they can't even tell us definitively what the cost of routine servicing actually is!? :/

I really want an auto tester but I'm not sure what to get now....

Putting this in perspective, you would do yourself justice by having something to monitor at least dKH. The ideal situation is that it'll be easier to do yourself (if you're handy) and those that will just send it in will send it in. You have to really start to think about the mundane task of testing. Gives you time for other things to do with your tank, like really getting to understand things about your system you never thought were possible or knew about.

If you really want to have a stable system, run something that helps control a calcium reactor.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, any updates from users? I think I'm leaning towards Alkatronic or KH Guardian. Integrating into my Apex Classic and just monitoring the stability of my CaRX.

- What is the maintenance and frequency of these machines?
- What is the minimum frequency of testing allowed? I would like to only test once or twice a day really.
During the first month. Re-calibrate the Alkatronic every two weeks, then once a month.

I was testing every two hours and cut back to 4 times a day. At some point I'll go to two times a day.
Randy said that you can dump the Alkatronics reagent back into the sump. I've seen no change in the reef by dumping it back in.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the first month. Re-calibrate the Alkatronic every two weeks, then once a month.

I was testing every two hours and cut back to 4 times a day. At some point I'll go to two times a day.
Randy said that you can dump the Alkatronics reagent back into the sump. I've seen no change in the reef by dumping it back in.

@GoVols have you heard about this one coming out:

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting this in perspective, you would do yourself justice by having something to monitor at least dKH. The ideal situation is that it'll be easier to do yourself (if you're handy) and those that will just send it in will send it in. You have to really start to think about the mundane task of testing. Gives you time for other things to do with your tank, like really getting to understand things about your system you never thought were possible or knew about.

If you really want to have a stable system, run something that helps control a calcium reactor.

True. I'd love dKH at the very least. I'm more bothered with the lack of disclosure. Puts a bad taste in your mouth, knowing the product is released (tonight at midnight) but the full investment cost hasn't been disclosed.

Other options seem to be more on the controller side than just monitor. I'd be happy with just monitoring. Reefbot seems like a decent option, since testing multiple things would be great. But I also want all my graphs in Apex! haha

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last 24 hours with a cal reactor

IMG_20190507_172221.jpg
MVIMG_20190507_172442.jpg
MVIMG_20190507_172526.jpg

IMG_20190507_172036.jpg
IMG_20190507_172048.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I'd love dKH at the very least. I'm more bothered with the lack of disclosure. Puts a bad taste in your mouth, knowing the product is released (tonight at midnight) but the full investment cost hasn't been disclosed.

Other options seem to be more on the controller side than just monitor. I'd be happy with just monitoring. Reefbot seems like a decent option, since testing multiple things would be great. But I also want all my graphs in Apex! haha
You can use a BNC cable and see the Alkatronc's graph with other controller's including (a PM1 module) Apex Fusion

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm messing around with stuff right now running both kalk (currently in my ATO) and CaRx. Driving my pH higher and staying within +/- 0.5 dKH swing. Tuning it more to prevent the CaRx pump being turned off. Will start my kalk stirrer this week as well.

Alkatronic dKH last 7 days
upload_2019-5-7_21-3-13.png

upload_2019-5-7_21-3-59.png

Getting good growth all around thus far. My number one problem is I need to change the aquascape on one side and I know I'd get even better growth.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in phosphates and nitrates, but... (lol) my wallet is running thin... :)
Hey Freddy, I see your having fun with your system and thats the way it should be. Exiting times with all the working testing equipt. becoming available.
I will be using the KH Director on the new tank, been using the doser for 6 months and really like it. I was debating a CaRx but I have a small tank (75 swaping to 88) so dosing it is. I am really curious about daily consumption and times that it is used the most, I work alot so this will really help to let me know whats going on.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Freddy, I see your having fun with your system and thats the way it should be. Exiting times with all the working testing equipt. becoming available.
I will be using the KH Director on the new tank, been using the doser for 6 months and really like it. I was debating a CaRx but I have a small tank (75 swaping to 88) so dosing it is. I am really curious about daily consumption and times that it is used the most, I work alot so this will really help to let me know whats going on.
Siggy,
It's been too long and hope you've been doing well.

The KH Director makes sense (in your case) and seems to be spot on.

You can always go cal reactor down the line, or not... :)

Freddie

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't see a need for such item; certainly not something I'd invest in vs a weekly test using a Hanna.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that either. We all have our way we like to do things.

You could still run a CaRx if you want on a 75, you'll just need to have a higher pH in the CaRx and a faster effluent drip.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely nothing wrong with that either. We all have our way we like to do things.

You could still run a CaRx if you want on a 75, you'll just need to have a higher pH in the CaRx and a faster effluent drip.

lol
Been "tiny" streaming for over a year and a half, with a Sicce feed. Way better than dripping, in my case.

:)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol
Been "tiny" streaming for over a year and a half, with a Sicce feed. Way better than dripping, in my case.

:)

Yeah once you actually get a CaRx and understand how it works, you can do so much more with your system. I am shocked that more people do not use them. If I had to put my pieces of gear in order of necessity, it would be my calcium reactor, then my Alkatronic, then my Apex. I love all of them, but the CaRx makes the system stable and the other items help manage the heart of the tank, the CaRx.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah once you actually get a CaRx and understand how it works, you can do so much more with your system. I am shocked that more people do not use them. If I had to put my pieces of gear in order of necessity, it would be my calcium reactor, then my Alkatronic, then my Apex. I love all of them, but the CaRx makes the system stable and the other items help manage the heart of the tank, the CaRx.

I think there's a newer generation that just has not been around them. They used to be about all we had with kalk.

If @hybridazn have not shown me the method that he uses, I don't think, I would have gone back to a cal reactor.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's a newer generation that just has not been around them. They used to be about all we had with kalk.

If @hybridazn have not shown me the method that he uses, I don't think, I would have gone back to a cal reactor.
Morning fellas, Freddy I watched that video awhile back and it made it look easy, still on the fence. who knows what a year will bring....maybe a smart reactor:p

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning fellas, Freddy I watched that video awhile back and it made it look easy, still on the fence. who knows what a year will bring....maybe a smart reactor:p

You can make your reactor a smart reactor with an alk monitor. All you have to do is add a second solenoid, needle valve, and check valve on your regulator. Tee off your co2 line so both solenoids feed the reactor. Tune one solenoid and needle like you normally would. Then tune the other solenoid and needle to add Co2 at a very slow rate. Then you program your controllers to turn both solenoids off if Alk test is too high, both solenoids on if alk test is too low, and only turn on the regular solenoid if alk test is in range. Then your calcium reactor is automated via your alk monitor. I should start building custom regulators for this application.....

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup.. CArx can look intimidating st first, I think that's one of the reason not many reefers using it...and ofcourse the space it needs. Though in recent years so many reactors are out there and some are small..

But agreed, once you add one, you cannot live without it ha ha.
I tun sps dominant and used to dose all kind of stuff based off bi monthly ICP tests. When I added the reactor so many elements I no longer need to dose, coral just looked better..
Also along with my KHG it taught me how from controlling and understanding the alk everything else fall in place in a balanced way.
It was a good investment for me...

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ohashimz When you were dosing additional supplements based of the bi monthly ICP tests, can you share what those were and how much? After CaRX, you did not need any of those additional supplements anymore? How often you do water change? (If you have link to another thread that explains it, I can read there. Thanks)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back