• 11+

Results are only viewable after voting.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve created a thread and I’d like to hear your thoughts and experiences with alkalinity. My tank is about 5 months old. I initially started running alk at 7.5-8, dosing ever hour. My LPS and softies looked good. I decided to increase the alk slightly and am now running 9.8. My LPS has never looked better. More polyp extension and my acans, blastos and lobos are puffier than ever. I plan on making this tank primarily a SPS tank here soon and I know I’ll have to lower my alk, but for now I’m loving the way the everything looks.

What are your thoughts and experiences with alkalinity and polyp extension?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 tanks currently, one of them runs ~8.5 and the other runs ~7.5. The corals in the 7.5 seem to be growing better/faster than the 8.5 but the 8.5 is doing well. They also have different lights and flow so I don't know whether to chalk it up to the alk alone or a combination of everything.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll find it much more common to run lower alkalinity these days (7 dKh - 9 dKh).

Historically, it appears that many reefers ran higher alkalinity. A while ago, I looked at the historical tank data from the Tanks of the Month at Reefkeeping.com. In 2006, for example, no TOTM had an alkalinity <= 7 dKh and only 17% had alkalinity <= 8 dKh. In 2015, 30% of the tanks had alkalinity <= 7 dKh, and 70% had alkalinity <= 8 dKh.

EDIT: This chart actually shows the weighting a little better. The 2015 tanks are heavily weighted to the lower end of the dKh scale, while the 2006 tanks have more representation in the higher ranges.

totm2.PNG

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve created a thread and I’d like to hear your thoughts and experiences with alkalinity. My tank is about 5 months old. I initially started running alk at 7.5-8, dosing ever hour. My LPS and softies looked good. I decided to increase the alk slightly and am now running 9.8. My LPS has never looked better. More polyp extension and my acans, blastos and lobos are puffier than ever. I plan on making this tank primarily a SPS tank here soon and I know I’ll have to lower my alk, but for now I’m loving the way the everything looks.

What are your thoughts and experiences with alkalinity and polyp extension?

A little off topic, but I just noticed your username. Although I didn't go there, a bunch of my money did - two daughters are UCF Alums!

OP
OP
UCF Alum

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off topic, but I just noticed your username. Although I didn't go there, a bunch of my money did - two daughters are UCF Alums!

That’s my alma mater! I think my parents would tell you the same thing.....
a bunch of their money went there 20 years ago!

Thanks for chiming in.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping parameters up is a constant struggle for me. I hooked up a dosing pump a week or so ago and added a CO2 scrubber a few days ago. This morning alkalinity is 8.5.

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is a correlation between alk, nutrients, and lighting. If your nutrients are low, I’d run a lower alk, 7-8. If you have higher nutrients I’d run alk 8-9. Same with lighting, if you have lower nutrients and alk, you should run lower lights. Lots of research has led me here. I wouldn’t just lower or raise one piece of chemistry without considering the others.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is a correlation between alk, nutrients, and lighting. If your nutrients are low, I’d run a lower alk, 7-8. If you have higher nutrients I’d run alk 8-9.

I agree. There are other factors to consider with ALK. I also try to keep mine at the same level as the salt mix used for water changes. I keep mine in the 7.5 - 8.0 range now. I also think that keeping you ALK on the lower end of your desired range is safer than the higher end. I read a lot more posts of people having issues with corals being damaged from ALK being to high than from ALK being a little low. I am willing to have slower growth as long as everything stays healthy.

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Radion Gen 4 pros on my 400. The growth was how I expected it to be for the first year or 2. I bumped my alk from 8.5 to 10.5 over 6 months and man, it's rockin now. My SPS grows 2-3X's faster. I get that there are a lot more variables here in play, like being an older mature tank, but I've always felt this was one of the big factors to my growth change over the last couple years.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks currently, one of them runs ~8.5 and the other runs ~7.5. The corals in the 7.5 seem to be growing better/faster than the 8.5 but the 8.5 is doing well. They also have different lights and flow so I don't know whether to chalk it up to the alk alone or a combination of everything.

Curious, what does your Ca and pH run on each tank as well, and what are the different lights?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious, what does your Ca and pH run on each tank as well, and what are the different lights?

Both tanks run Kalkwasser in the ATO. I don't test Ca as often as Alk but here's a summary from my Apex.

Tank 1 - 6ft 125 gallon
Ca for the last month
-Min 428
-Max 465
-Avg 440

Alk for the last month
-Min 6.89
-Max 7.78
-Avg 7.44

pH for the last week
-Min 8.02
-Max 8.27
-Avg 8.15

Lights - 3x Radion XR15 Gen 4 Pro
Flow - 1x MP40 on one side, 2x MP10 on the back

Tank 2 - 40 gallon breeder
Ca for the last month
-Min 447
-Max 452
-Avg 448

Alk for the last month
-Min 8.4
-Max 9.02
-Avg 8.67

pH for the last week
-Min 7.66
-Max 7.88
-Avg 7.77

Lights - 2x Kessil 360
Flow - 2x MP10, one on each side

I suppose it could be pH. Tank 2 is on the main floor and I can't keep the pH up while running the air conditioner. And this year we started having to run the air in probably April and it hasn't stopped since. When the weather is nice and I can open the windows and all of last winter while running the furnace the pH was generally closer to 8, but even last winter when pH was higher it didn't seem to grow as fast as the basement tank seems to be. Tank 1 is in the basement and the pH runs higher which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That tank has only been up since April/May so don't know what the pH looks like with the furnace running yet.

Last edited:

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently running between 7.5-8.0. BUT at the time my nutrients were much lower at .05 they are now pushing .16 (removed filter socks) waiting for that number to stabilize before I take any additional actions. I also lowered my intensity on Radions and I am noticing better faster encrusting. I have been considering allowing my ALk to float up to 8.5 but don't think I will ever go past that. I have always had HIGH flow.

I agree there is a lot that goes into coral growth and health. I have read articles about growing corals tooo fast being unhealthy so I am trying to find that healthy balance. I have no intention (YET) of selling so I am not pressured to grow fast, but I am sure in time that could change in time. For me, I am looking for good growth, good color and a overall healthy system. Just enjoying sharing this ever-changing hobby with my girls and you guys.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back