Poll: Display Stand Height

What is the height of your main display stand?

• < 24"

Votes: 22 5.8%
  • 24"-30"

Votes: 57 15.0%
  • 30"-33"

Votes: 68 17.9%
  • 34"-36"

Votes: 138 36.4%
  • 37"-38"

Votes: 26 6.9%
  • 39"-40"

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • > 40"

Votes: 37 9.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a question that comes pops up somewhat frequently - "How high should my stand be for my display tank"? I personally built mine to be 40" since I wanted the tank elevated a bit since it's used as a room divider. I've found it about perfect for viewing while standing and even sitting while eating dinner. Yes, I need a step stool to work on it but it works out perfectly in my situation.

So how how is your stand and what would you change anything on your next display?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just over 37" which is good for sitting and watching also while eating dinner but not too short that you can't enjoy it standing up as well. If you are worried about having to stand on a stool perhaps you should reevaluate how much time you spend working inside the tank vs how much time you spend either sitting or standing enjoying it.

Happy with the height but I would consider changing next tank if it goes in a different room or a different house. Top down views are very nice but in almost all situations they are not practical.

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant remember what my stand height finishes at, however i know its around the 30-33" mark. Im 6'1" so i didnt want my tank to be eye level for me to view as it wouldnt be optimal for a majority of people who see it. Thusly i chose a much lower height as when im sitting down on my sofa, its eye level for me then. I sacrificed a lot of sump real-estate unfortunately that i would like to have (ie. taking out my skimmer is a tiiiiight squeeze). I also like how i get a nice top down look on my tank when i am standing by it, either to feed or to just gander. I might also note its only a 17 gallon display, so reaching inside was never an issue, but would be one for a tank 75 gallons+ the higher its built.

The way its oriented in the room, its the first thing you see as you enter my apartment, so having it lower, makes my tiny abode seem just a tiny bit larger as its not an eyesore in the room, its blends smoothly. at least in my opinion. I see how a taller stand would be beneficial as a room divider, and would also make for a pronounced presentation. But I stand all day at work, so standing to view my tank isnt an option. lol

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 120Gs and two QT tanks, so I had 3 stands built, all 40" tall. I really like the higher viewing angles.
I know that alot of people say that anything over 36" is too tall for performing routine maintenance, and "yes", I do use a step ladder, BUT IMO I "should" be spending more time viewing and looking at my tank than bending over it with my hands and arms in it all the time. I hope that the "majority" of my time will be spent viewing and enjoying the beauty of my tank from the other side of the glass, not from overhead, so I had my stands built with that in mind.
I've had shorter stands in the past, and I never liked having to bend over and/or stoop to look at them from the front or side. Now I can view my tank much better whether I'm sitting or standing.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of my stand sits at 30" and if I'm being honest with myself I wish it was about a foot taller. The height it's at now is ok, but I'd like it higher for viewing purposes, but for working on and around the tank 30 inches works well.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My standard aquarium stand height determination method: Reach up as high as you can with one arm, measure from your armpit to the floor, and subtract tank height.

Anything higher, and you're going to need a stool when working on your tank. No, thanks.

I did not use this method on my latest build. No equipment under the tank, didn't need the space... open top, wide, shallow peninsula. I wanted a top down view... so I mounted it lower.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is 47 inches off the floor with a standard 180 on it. It's also is a room diver & is pleasing to my eye. I can stand & look straight into it. Lot's of room underneath but it's ladder work to reach inside.
HPIM9100.JPG
I really like these daily polls. I get a lot of helpful ideas & op's from other members.

Last edited:

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is 47 inches off the floor with a standard 180 on it. It's also is a room diver & is pleasing to my eye. I can stand & look straight into it. Lot's of room underneath but it's ladder work to reach inside.
HPIM9100.JPG
I really like these daily polls. I get a lot of helpful ideas & op's from other members.
That is really nice good looking setup.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a lot of custom stands out there because I'm not aware of too many commercially available (standard) 32+" stands. 30-32" for me; I can sit in a chair and have a nice view and I can actually work on the thing if need be.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to measure mine, i forget, but after having a few different height stands, I have settled on a height where I may need to bend over a bit to get a better look, but at the same time I can reach in and touch sand bottom while standing on my own two feet.
This is ideal for me. Of course tank size, whether its in wall or not, canopy or not, etc are all factors that come into play and could change that.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a lot of custom stands out there because I'm not aware of too many commercially available (standard) 32+" stands. 30-32" for me; I can sit in a chair and have a nice view and I can actually work on the thing if need be.

Commercial stands are generally too low for me. Especially if you're going to plumb equipment underneath. Had a friend that bought a 300DD with a factory stand, it was just plain short. Their reasoning is that it's too wide to fit through a standard door upright, so it's got to be short enough to fit through on it's side. Ended up taking the bottom out, building a 12" frame that the stand would rest on, and screwing it together in situ.

My current stand is low... 34", but I'm not housing filtration equipment under it, either.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I think you are right and to me custom is the way to go. My stand is 37" tall. I am 6'4" so a taller stand was exactly what I needed. I do have to use a small ladder when doing some maintenance, but I like the height. It keeps me from putting my hands in the tank ;)

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just measured my stand, and it’s 28.75” tall, and my tank is only 14” deep. So the top of my tank is roughly 42” high. I like it :).

Oh I forgot to mention though that with it being so short, I could run a smaller pump for my return because the head pressure height isn’t much at all! So I save a little money in that department.

Last edited:

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually like a minimum height of 36" inches, and that is mainly for gear room down below, gotta get a good skimmer and be able to maintain it and other gear inside easily.

Footprint of the tank may be a factor, I don't like too tall and tippy on something like a small cube.

I got a folding aluminum step stool that is pretty sturdy, most tanks you are probably going to like to have one to get down to the bottom working in tank.

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current stand is 32" with a 21" tall tank. I do not like having to rest my hands on my knees to look into the tank.

New tank build. Stand will be 34" tall + 36" tall tank. So around my eye level. I will need a steep stool of course. Eye level is about 42" on a typical couch so I think it should work as a happy medium between couch viewing and standing. Also a floating 8" tall canopy about 12" above the tank, so that about takes up most of the vertical space within its footprint.

Other build in progress is a shallow tank (4' x 3' x 10") that will be viewed top-down as much as from the side, if not more. I haven't decided on a height. I would love opinions.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a question that comes pops up somewhat frequently - "How high should my stand be for my display tank"? I personally built mine to be 40" since I wanted the tank elevated a bit since it's used as a room divider. I've found it about perfect for viewing while standing and even sitting while eating dinner. Yes, I need a step stool to work on it but it works out perfectly in my situation.

So how how is your stand and what would you change anything on your next display?

Same height (not yet built) same reason!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back