Poll: Do you measure/control potassium in your reef?

DO you measure/test your potassium in your reef?

• Yes - But don't find the need to supplement

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Yes - And dose to supplement

Votes: 56 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 288 79.6%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question in hopes of generating some conversation regarding potassium. Do you or do you not test for potassium? If so, what are you using to dose for it? I personally have never measured for it so I'm curious to see what folks are doing when it comes to K.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2. I actually got a test kit and arrived yesterday so I cam measure it this weekend as I have never measured it in the whole life of the tank.

Hope Reef Crystals salt surprises me as I do a 15 gallon water change bi-weekly..

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the Red Sea Mixed Reef recipe which calls for dosing each of their trace elements at a 1:10 ratio to calcium consumption. (ex: 1ml of each trace per 10ml of Calcium) The Coral Colors (trace elements) include potassium.

However, I only test for it every month or so to make sure it is still around recommended levels. Plus, the Red Sea K test is a pain...

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes so I believe Trace elements are covered, if not and I just dosed I would think testing and adding would be a must

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started testing and dosing after an ICP test, apparently my water changes were keeping up with all the other trace elements but Potassium was ~30 ppm low. My reds and pinks had only been showing up on new growth, I've had it up to recommended levels for a couple of weeks now. I haven't seen any real change in those colors still have my fingers crossed though.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea trace colors - once a week I add it. Test for it about once every three months. Never been a problem. Do I need it? Probably not. But, it is fun.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested a few times, and with no dosing, it did not deplete in my reef tank.

Foods apparently offset any consumption. I also did water changes, but the tank was no lower than the new water, so there was no indication that the water changes added any appreciable amount of potassium.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose it about every two weeks with enough K to raise levels about 35 ppm. I believe my algae turf scrubber is using it becase it never tests above natural seawater levels. I use the Red sea kit from time to time. It is rather time consuming to use. I have not tried the salifert version.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a monti cap going grey and saw enough posts saying to check for potassium so I ordered a salifert kit. Was at 380, dosed to 400 and the color came back.

I have read that before that Montipora like potassium. It was anecdotal, not scientific.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested in the past and was within range. I used the red sea test kit and yes it is a pain. I also dose the red sea coral colors.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert potassium test kit is easy to use.

Yes and reasonably accurate with a clear-cut endpoint; 10 ppm measurement interval with a maximum of 470 ppm.

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Salifert Potassium Test kit. Easy to use and accurate compared to ICP Test. I dose to keep it at 400. Water changes test lower than 400 so I dose to maintain it. I did notice deeper coloration on red montiporas when I first found my levels at 340 and bumped it to 400. I dose Potassium chloride.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back