Poll: Do You Use UV Sterilization?

Do You UV Sterilize?

• Yes - All the time

Votes: 202 21.4%
  • Yes - Only when "needed" (discuss in thread)

Votes: 69 7.3%
  • No - Tried one and didn't notice any difference

Votes: 111 11.8%
  • No - Never tried one

Votes: 560 59.4%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An often discussed topic is the use of UV in reef aquariums. I'm curious to see how many folks are actually using them. Feel free to discuss your reasoning/thoughts for using them.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An often discussed topic is the use of UV in reef aquariums. I'm curious to see how many folks are actually using them. Feel free to discuss your reasoning/thoughts for using them.
I have never used one. And I won't lie it's because I don't really understand them. Nor have i ever had the need to. But my uncle runs one on his tank and it seems to be working well for him :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it hooked up 24/7 for a few months, but it was a hassle to do any work under the stand because it was always in the way so I removed it. Last spring when my tank had Dinos I hooked it up to a canister filter so I could run in temporarily. After a few weeks the Dino was gone and I broke down the set up and put it away. Can't say it was just the UV that took care of the Dinos because I was doing other things as well, but I have it and the canister filter on stand by so I can hook it up quickly if needed.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased and used one to help with Dinos, which were taken care of (with a combination of several different things, including UV) pretty quickly. It has been running 24X7 every since.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in storage. Iv'e used it. Seemed to help with algae& water clarity. I'm not using it now, to me at least it's another unnecessary item.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a battle with dinos.... cyano... and ich all over the last year or so.. I was under the impression from one of my Reefer buddies that UV was just a tank gimmick and he swore left and right how it’s just a waste of money and blah blah blah.. so I avoided it

After my most recent battle I decided that it’s time to upgrade my tank and do things differently..

Researched day after day about UV and realized that 90% of the problems I experienced over the last year or so could have been prevented or at least helped in resolving it..

I have a massive UV sterilizer sitting in a box next to my new tank and sump waiting for the last few boxes to arrive!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an old salt who worked in a lfs in the late 90s thru '11. My boss always installed UVs on the tanks he set up for folks. They are not a cure all but they do help with water column borne pathogens and algaes. We always recommended them for fowlr systems but not so much for reef tanks.

Right now I am UV-less and my seahorse tank is doing great.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 114 watt unit on my 270g tank 24x7. It was installed expressly for the purpose of fighting dinoflagellates. It has proven very effective on the species that enter the water column. Previously ran a 57 watt unit on the tank which proved to be undersized for dinos on that size system.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 114 watt unit on my 270g tank 24x7. It was installed expressly for the purpose of fighting dinoflagellates. It has proven very effective on the species that enter the water column. Previously ran a 57 watt unit on the tank which proved to be undersized for dinos on that size system.

I completely agree with this statement. I think most people do not buy a strong enough UV. I had a 57w prior and still had some small break outs. Since I have gone to my 80w and a very low through it - I have seen a complete difference. The upgrade to the 80w was the best move I made.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I set one up to see what it could do to help against dinos and other algae. I didn't see any difference. Might give it another go soon!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you guys have it plumbed? In what order?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely oversize and keep an eye on the flow rate, you don't want it too fast for at least protozoan (ich) eradication. I'm not saying you'll remove ich from your system but it will kill any that go through it. Nothing faster than 200-300 gph in most applications. For clarifying algae/dinos/bacteria, you can go faster on the flow. And definitely oversize, most who haven't had success used one that was undersized and ran the flow too fast.

I currently use a 114 watt on 215 gallon tank, running 24/7 at about 250-300 gph.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally plumbed it in my sump via a manifold but had limited success. When I plumbed it within the display itself (pump behind a rock, tubing going up and out to UV, back down into display) I had the greatest success for ich suppression at least. With this setup, you're able to capture free-swimming ich trophonts/theronts in the lower levels of the water column and kill them with UV. When it was plumbed in the sump, I theorized that very little ich trophonts/theronts would actually make it all the way to the top to go through the overflow and down into my sump rendering the UV placement down there of little use. My theory was supported by me being able to keep a powder blue tang in my sump with no ich visible on it on months but when I moved it into the display, it broke out immediately.

For algae/bacteria/dinos, I don't think placement really matters in the long scheme of things. Again, oversize, run a slower flow throw it, and plumb in the display if possible for true benefits. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd even bother getting one.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've contemplated getting a UV but struggle with the appropriate size for my system (46G give or take).

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine plumbed totally independent from the rest of my plumbing. A pump sits in my sump, pumps water through the UV via PVC, and returns to the sump. Wanted to run it off a separate pump so that the water flow could be controlled easily for various applications.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7 plumbed through my drain 18 watt for my 44 gallon running 250 gph. Love it, no algea issues and no more ich issues after i installed it. I don't have a qt tank unfortunately. New 90 is getting a bigger uv in it too

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 220 gallon tank right now and just got a brand new 36w Coralife UV that I will be running 24/7/365 with this tank. I am starting off with all dry rock too, I don't want any pests, parasites, and trying to control algea out of the gate.
My tank will be mostly fish only, some LPS...maybe SPS later...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back