Votes: 17 4.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it's difficult if not impossible to get fish to actually school in an aquarium (unless it is very, very large), some do tend to shoal to some degree. Thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss what your favorite shoaling fish is and what type of success have you had with them displaying the shoaling/grouping behavior.

Obviously the poll is not an all inclusive list so feel free to discuss a fish species you've had success with if not on the list.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of

Azure damsels
Zebra barred dartfish
Red lined cardinals.

I’m not so sure that they shoal, but there are times when they are all together, especially the dart fish.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that Barrier Reef Chromis are schooling fish in the aquarium, however they are incredibly difficult to come by.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthais , iv only got 5 but they all swim together , iv also got 9 Chromis in another tank that I'll take a pic of
Anthais are my favourite tho as Chromis erratic chasing of each other is not as calming on me lol

IMG_20180826_114055.jpg

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted for Anthias...

Me too...I put three small Ignitus Anthias in my 120 about three months ago and so far they never leave each others side. Only time will tell if stays that way but one can sure hope!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the contrast of chromis and anthias together. I voted for chromis since I have had better luck keeping them alive long-term.

Last edited:

kangadrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted other. One of, if not my favorite, sight I've seen in a reef tank was a school of 9 moorish idols.
Seeing one healthy one is impressive, 9 is crazy!
It was on another site, so I won't post a link.

Drew

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue eyed cardinals look pretty sweet hanging out together, especially when you have more than 6.

Trick to get fish to shoal: throw in a predator, or what they perceive to be a threat, like a blue throat trigger.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cant beat the Anthias group. I have 4 different types. They squabble, yes but not continuous. They can be shy but eager feeders. I also have a 6 pack of firefish. Also a peaceful group. Very shy and always present at feeding.

kenya-squam2.jpg

image.php

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Vanderbilt chromis, but never had one. I'd love to put 5 or 7 in my new 180. They're damsels though, and most people say chromis fight until there's only one left. I'd hate to see that happen, so will probably get just the one.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Vanderbilt chromis, but never had one. I'd love to put 5 or 7 in my new 180. They're damsels though, and most people say chromis fight until there's only one left. I'd hate to see that happen, so will probably get just the one.

I find that if you keep chromis well fed, they won't pick each other off. But this can be difficult. Not sure why they are touted as a beginner fish. Probably some of the hardest fish to keep well fed and happy. Kind of like anthias, they are pelagic feeders and just hang in the water column waiting for particles to come by.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back