Votes: 230 65.2%

• Total voters

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after fifty years I still think of the 54 guys that died on this day on April 1st in a few hours. 7 of them were assigned to me. I was in the 1st of the 77th Arty. In a clearing on the Cambodian border about 150 of us were attacked by 400 regular NVA Communist troops. One guy Peter lemon was awarded the Medal of Honor. Him and the rest of my brothers who didn't come home are the real Hero's. That is what Memorial Day is all about. Those guys were all about 20 years old. I saw their names when I went to the Wall and cried.

U

User1

View Badges
My family has a long history in the Navy over the years with many of my aunts and uncles serving in WWII. I was the odd duck who joined the Air Force. First four years are active duty. Rest of my time was traditional drill status / Air National Guard through retirement. I used to get frustrated at some of the family members who would always greet me on memorial day with a thank you for your service. Then one day my better half asked me to relax and just take in the sentiment. Fair enough. I personally don't understand what some of my family members, and others, must have gone through especially the more I read from the articles my mother saved, never to show, that I found after she passed away. She never spoke about her brothers and my uncles never spoke about it. They came home, found jobs, led a productive life, and that was it. You wouldn't know unless they let it slip out or told a story - which they rarely, if ever, did. Not like today whereas a soldier will sell a tale for a buck or minute of fame...

Has a kid /growing up I delivered news papers and I clearly remember to this day reading the headlines with what went down in Vietnam. And the media machine behind it. Reading the news today brings a lot of it back to the forefront and how the years parallel. One of the major disappointments I witnessed is how we treated those who served during that time... Anyway I rant and for that I apologize.

85-89 - 44th fighter sqd, Kadena AB. 462x
90 - 91 - 940th, Mather AFB. 555x rapid runway / civil engineering
92 - 2015 - 152nd AW, Reno Nevada. 1S0x explosive and ground safety

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How Vietnam Era vets were treated 1973... I was a mechanic, didn't have to fight and served 3 years. When I left Korea I was flown to California and then to Newark Airport, New Jersey. Vets at that time were just kind of dropped off without any transportation home. My father was away at work, my mother didn't drive and I had $10.00 in my pocket. Had to hitch hike home which was about 15 miles on the NJ Parkway. Figured I would get a ride easier if I wore my uniform. Payed a taxi with the $10 I had to the Parkway entrance and, with my thumb out, waited for a ride. Was there about a 1/2 hour... 2 cigarette butts were flicked my way and a cup of coffee was thrown at me during that time. Finally a older man picked me up and drove me all the way to my parents house. Said to the man to wait and I will get some money from my mother to pay for his gas. He shook his head no, I thanked him for the ride and he drove off. I never forgot him...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.0%
Back