Poll: How often do you clean you glass?

How often do you have to clean your glass/acrylic?

• Daily

Votes: 90 10.5%
  • Every 2-3 Days

Votes: 396 46.3%
  • Every 4-6 Days

Votes: 164 19.2%
  • Once a Week

Votes: 140 16.4%
  • I don't clean mine until I can't see in the tank

Votes: 53 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 1.5%

• Total voters

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp,
I use the "Flipper" every two or three days.
It's just easy.

If I see an film build up more often and heavy, then I recharge my GFO reactor.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Rumba for the glass . LOL Pretty cool ! I clean my glass 3-4 days usually. I have a thin film of very rough stuff. My Magfloat doesn't even phase it & sounds like sand paper as it passes over .
I have to use a straight razor to scrape it off. I need to do this maybe once a week to keep in clean ,which I don't . Anybody know what this algae is?
As I was saying about every 3-4 days for me. No probs at all on the big tank that's just every so often . I think it's because the lighting set is pretty low as it's just a few fish .
Another good pole . Still chuckling over the Rumba .

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm every other day to every third day. I keep my tank's algae eaters (and myself) happy by having an agreement to never clean the sides of my tank, only the front panel. Given that I don't look through the sides very often it's pretty cool. If you wait long enough some weird stuff starts growing on the algae (little feather worms and etc).

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check your nitrates?
I find that the higher the nitrates, the more often you will need to clean the glass.
So you pretty much can get away with not testing for nitrates, just use algae on glass as an indicator of nitrate level.

That's the funny thing. I really don't test much any more but when I noticed this "change", I did run a full battery of tests and the NO3 was only around 5 ppm, which is pretty much where it's always been. It's not a big deal to clean the glass (all three sides of the peninsula) using the Flipper. I actually use the time to look everything over a little more carefully while I'm doing it. Maybe it's my tank's way of saying "Hey, look at me". :cool:

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nutrients got out of control and I recently put my algae scrubber back online. I used to have to clean every other day now with nitrates 20-40 and phosphate 0.09 I only clean glass every 3rd or 4th day

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the funny thing. I really don't test much any more but when I noticed this "change", I did run a full battery of tests and the NO3 was only around 5 ppm, which is pretty much where it's always been. It's not a big deal to clean the glass (all three sides of the peninsula) using the Flipper. I actually use the time to look everything over a little more carefully while I'm doing it. Maybe it's my tank's way of saying "Hey, look at me". :cool:

I think the algae on glass is a better indicator of nitrate level than any test.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run NoPOX and use the Red Sea Coral Nutritional regimen. I know it's contributing to the film on the glass every 3 days or so. But it's not algae, it's a faint white film, my Trochus still eat it, just not fast enough and Tunze Care Magnet long takes care of it. It also gives me some quality time with the tank.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean as needed... usually weekly, need it or not with my water change.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my glass every 2-3 days. Tank is well over a year old now. The algae that grows is pretty tough to remove. It looks like a thin dusting, but takes elbow grease to remove. I don't dare leave it for a week or I have to scrape it off with a ton of force. The tang, blenny, angel, and any other algae eating organism loves the stuff. When it grows on the rocks, it grows like a short fuzzy covering.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every two weeks, and then only really the bottom quarter of the front panel. If you want to reduce the frequency just eliminate the amount of light that falls on the front.

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, I only clean my 90 when someone comes over. even then there is barely anything on the glass. Sometimes I can go a few months in between. I guess the cuc is great. My 40 was once a day or two until a week ago when I supercharged the CuC. Now the glass is so clean. Wife's biocube is about once a week. or until I tell at her to clean it.

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeks to months. It never actually gets that thick that I cannot see through it. I scraped for the first time the other day and I think it was at minimum 2 months since the last time. Or whenever someone comes over to buy coral frags or something.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since upgrading my lighting ( Kessil AP700, SB Reefs (72" across), 14 bulb T5 and (2) 72" reefbrites, every other day , I get an algae buildup

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chose other i stopped caring after getting the flipper if theres a spot on front glass i real quickly clean that spot. Side glass every 2 weeks or so. Back glass whenever it doesnt look like glass anymore.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 days for me, although yesterday it seemed pretty clean and today when I got home it had a thick coat liberally marked with snail lip trails. So rather than clean it I’m going to let it go for a bit. Plus I just added pods and they seem to like cruising around in it after dark.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You upgraded from led to t5 or you have a hybrid led t5?
I have both. I use Apex and have timed schedules for each unit. Makes a nice balance for growth

360iii.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back