Poll: How often do you clean you glass?

How often do you have to clean your glass/acrylic?

• Daily

Votes: 91 10.6%
  • Every 2-3 Days

Votes: 396 46.2%
  • Every 4-6 Days

Votes: 164 19.1%
  • Once a Week

Votes: 140 16.3%
  • I don't clean mine until I can't see in the tank

Votes: 53 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 1.5%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed lately I'm having to clean my glass (interior with magnet cleaner) a little more frequently. I used to be able to go for 3-4 days or so until I started to notice a build up. I'm now having to do it about every other day. It's a must for me because I hate looking at dirty glass. It got me wondering, how often do other have to clean their interior glass.

Clueless Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing it roughly ever 4-6 because I have a lawn mower blenny and I don't want to starve 'em. I also have a ton of amphipods that chill on the glass and a lot of different fish including the angels like munching on them and the fresh algae too. My tank is between a large set of French doors and a double window so there's lots of radiation to grow the algae back up quickly.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my system runs cleaner, or maybe I have a better CUC. I clean my glass even 2 weeks or whenever somebody is coming by to buy coral or used aquarium hardware.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily for me, but I'm also picky. I could let it go two or three days, but my OCD kicks in and I have to clean it daily ;Hilarious (I'm kidding I don't really have OCD.....or do I?)

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cleaning every few days, but my tank is also young at 7 months old.

Does anyone clean the back glass panel? My mindset is to leave that for the snails, but the front and side panels need to be clean to keep the tank looking nice.

I’m beginning to have coralline develop on the back panel, which I am super stoked about. Hopefully it fills the entire back panel. I’ll be keeping it off the sides and front with my clipper cleaner, but my personal tastes love a coralline covered back panel! I’m getting purple and green!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine maybe once a week but they really don’t need it, I’m trying to bump up my feeding as I feel my tanks are to clean and the lack of any algae growing on glass is probably a good indication of this.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably clean mine 5 days a week. I don't actually have to, but as soon as I see a spot I'll wipe it. I mean I'm looking at the tank I can take 3 seconds to move my 12 year old magfloat across the glass. If it improves the view even 1% might as well. This year I finally replaced the pads on it.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the front and sides every other day but I leave the back glass untouched so my Coral beauty and yellow tang pick algae and pods . Also, I have like a brown film (like powder) that I hate to see there.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed lately I'm having to clean my glass (interior with magnet cleaner) a little more frequently. I used to be able to go for 3-4 days or so until I started to notice a build up. I'm now having to do it about every other day. It's a must for me because I hate looking at dirty glass. It got me wondering, how often do other have to clean their interior glass.

Did you check your nitrates?
I find that the higher the nitrates, the more often you will need to clean the glass.
So you pretty much can get away with not testing for nitrates, just use algae on glass as an indicator of nitrate level.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt algae build up on glass a sign that either your NO3 and/or PO4 is higher than it should be and its producing this unwanted algae????

@Randy Holmes-Farley plz put on your "Super Hero Super Suit" and give us your thoughts:)

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back