Poll: How often do you clean you glass?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by dbl, Jul 11, 2018.

?
  1. Daily

72 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Every 2-3 Days

370 vote(s)
    46.0%
  3. Every 4-6 Days

160 vote(s)
    19.9%
  4. Once a Week

139 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. I don't clean mine until I can't see in the tank

52 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Other

12 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I've noticed lately I'm having to clean my glass (interior with magnet cleaner) a little more frequently. I used to be able to go for 3-4 days or so until I started to notice a build up. I'm now having to do it about every other day. It's a must for me because I hate looking at dirty glass. It got me wondering, how often do other have to clean their interior glass.

Tags:

2. Reeferdood

Reeferdood Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

2-3 days seems average for me.

3. Edp251

Edp251 Member R2R Supporter

I am with you at 2-3 days but my tank is young at only 4 months. Looks so great when its truly clear!

4. Clueless Reefer

Clueless Reefer Member

I'm doing it roughly ever 4-6 because I have a lawn mower blenny and I don't want to starve 'em. I also have a ton of amphipods that chill on the glass and a lot of different fish including the angels like munching on them and the fresh algae too. My tank is between a large set of French doors and a double window so there's lots of radiation to grow the algae back up quickly.

DraggingTail, najer, Adele and 3 others like this.
  5. Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman Lets Go Snorkeling! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I guess my system runs cleaner, or maybe I have a better CUC. I clean my glass even 2 weeks or whenever somebody is coming by to buy coral or used aquarium hardware.

6. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Daily for me, but I'm also picky. I could let it go two or three days, but my OCD kicks in and I have to clean it daily ;Hilarious (I'm kidding I don't really have OCD.....or do I?)

kajam, DraggingTail, najer and 10 others like this.
  7. Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman Active Member

I’m cleaning every few days, but my tank is also young at 7 months old.

Does anyone clean the back glass panel? My mindset is to leave that for the snails, but the front and side panels need to be clean to keep the tank looking nice.

I’m beginning to have coralline develop on the back panel, which I am super stoked about. Hopefully it fills the entire back panel. I’ll be keeping it off the sides and front with my clipper cleaner, but my personal tastes love a coralline covered back panel! I’m getting purple and green!

8. Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer Been there done that.. R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I clean mine maybe once a week but they really don’t need it, I’m trying to bump up my feeding as I feel my tanks are to clean and the lack of any algae growing on glass is probably a good indication of this.

9. WV Reefer

WV Reefer I do what I want! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My small tank is 2 1/2 years old and has basically no algae so I can go almost two weeks with nothing on the glass. My larger reef is younger and needs it every day.

10. andrewkw

andrewkw Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I probably clean mine 5 days a week. I don't actually have to, but as soon as I see a spot I'll wipe it. I mean I'm looking at the tank I can take 3 seconds to move my 12 year old magfloat across the glass. If it improves the view even 1% might as well. This year I finally replaced the pads on it.

najer, mike werner, Adele and 3 others like this.
  11. joseph scott

joseph scott Member

I used to have to clean the glass every day. Tank sits in front of large picture window. Vinegar dosing has me doing it only every 2-3 days and then it’s not algae that I’m removing, it’s a haze of bacterial film and that very easy to remove.

12. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Once a week... with my Tunze magnet. Takes all of 5 minutes, and that's with a 140g peninsula, cleaning three sides.

13. vector824

vector824 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Mine was every other day but then I started dosing NoPox and it dramatically decreased even after adding T5 lighting.

14. spyder813

spyder813 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I clean the front and sides every other day but I leave the back glass untouched so my Coral beauty and yellow tang pick algae and pods . Also, I have like a brown film (like powder) that I hate to see there.

mike werner, Adele, GoVols and 2 others like this.
  15. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

2 to 3 days, I need a Rumba for my glass;):D

najer, mike werner, Adele and 3 others like this.
  16. doughboy

doughboy Active Member

Did you check your nitrates?
    I find that the higher the nitrates, the more often you will need to clean the glass.
    So you pretty much can get away with not testing for nitrates, just use algae on glass as an indicator of nitrate level.

najer, mike werner and GoVols like this.
  17. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

You know, they do actually make one of those...

https://www.moaidevices.com/

18. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Just went on my Christmas list, thank you sir

mike werner and GoVols like this.
  19. siggy

siggy Which way do I go R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

My son is good with that, he will hit it every day if it needs it, now if he would just do the outside. I have a Shark and it works well

20. skimjim

skimjim Well-Known Member

Isnt algae build up on glass a sign that either your NO3 and/or PO4 is higher than it should be and its producing this unwanted algae????

@Randy Holmes-Farley plz put on your "Super Hero Super Suit" and give us your thoughts:)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    najer and GoVols like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted