• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to add a flame angel to my reef at some point and understand the risk..... Hoping this thread can help with a solid answer.

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe “so far” should be an option…I have a coral beauty for a few months that has been the most active algae grazer I’ve ever seen but hasn’t bothered any corals, so far

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to add a flame angel to my reef at some point and understand the risk..... Hoping this thread can help with a solid answer.
I would just go for it, I would say only 1-2 out of 10 actually nip. It Usually happens when you add Corals to a tank that already has an angel. Just keep it well fed and you will probably be fine. You can even make a deal with your lfs that if it nips you will bring him back.

Last edited:

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my flame hasn’t nipped any coral (or not that I’ve seen)

edit: I’ve had him for somewhere around 8 months (It somewhere around that mark not 100% sure just a guess for how long I’ve had him)

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you''re keeping bunch of scolys, acans, brains, chalice... i wouldn't take a chance

if you got zoas, euphylia, sps... I would take a chance but keep a close eye.

my flame doesn't touch any corals. I don't keep any meaty corals

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is currently reef safe however I don’t have many corals in with him and of the corals I do have, a lot of them are repeating species - Duncans, Hammers, Frogspawn, Mushrooms, Leathers, Chilli.

I do have 2 other angels with the Coral Beauty - A Regal Angel (3-4” transitioning to adult) and a Majestic Angel (1.5-2” Juvenile transitioning to adult)

realwizer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my dwarfs (different tanks) have been fine with all coral.

Coral beauty - SPS, LPS, Zoas, Clam.

Flame - SPS, LPS (including button scolys), Zoas

Even with a poll though, fish vary and you will not get a 100% certain answer.

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to create a thread asking which of the dwarfs angel were the most reef safe......

I have a 60g with mainly LPS corals - a couple of soft (leather) and a couple of zoas.

The dwarfs that I narrowed it down to were: flame, coral beauty, pygmy (cherub) or a flameback.

Does anyone know which of those would be the best choice?

Flames are ridiculously expensive in Australia, whereas the coral beauty is much much cheaper (like 1/4 to 1/5 of the price). Don't see pygmy or flamebacks too often.

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine enjoyed Sps polyps so I ended up giving it away. It didn’t bother the Sps to the point where they were dying but many of my Sps had retracted polyps. Not long after I got rid of him did I see polyp extension again from my sps

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back