Poll: Mesh or Felt/Cloth? Which sock do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Roy 9121, Oct 26, 2017.

?
  1. Mesh

112 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Felt

245 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. I Don't Use Filter Socks!

182 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. Roy 9121

Roy 9121 Well-Known Member SCMAS Member

I was using clothe socks, but I was thinking of giving the mesh a try. What do you all think?

Tags:

2. Claus84

Claus84 Well-Known Member

Mesh, I find them less rigid and easier to clean

3. TbyZ

TbyZ Well-Known Member

I believe mesh is for chemical media, like activated carbon.

the socks are for filtering finer sediment - detritus.

Grey Guy likes this.
  4. Claus84

Claus84 Well-Known Member

I use either 100 or 200 micron mesh filter socks so it still catches the finer detritus

TbyZ likes this.
  5. Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer... R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

I just recently switched to mesh and haven't noticed a huge difference. I'm excited about not have to work so hard to get them clean!

TbyZ likes this.
  6. TbyZ

TbyZ Well-Known Member

Can i ask what micron your's is rated at, compared to you sock, & does it need changing as often?

7. mckinleyw

mckinleyw AIRBORNE REEFER R2R Supporter Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I normally use felt socks and yes they are a pain to clean. As of now I am sockless. seeing how this goes, I have a good size refugium and can easily suck detritus out if it gets too heavy for my liking. I kinda like not having to change out socks and no need to clean any either lol. I still like the felt over the mesh at this point IDK why though.

8. Radman73

Radman73 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Why not both? On my 60 I usually alternated. Mesh is definitely easier to clean but I always felt the felt "polished" the water better.

9. Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory Well-Known Member

Do the mesh socks stop microbubbles as well as the felt? I've been using a felt sock on my skimmer output to stop the bubbles, but would much rather use a mesh.

10. Todd31

Todd31 Well-Known Member

+1

11. RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I've always used felt socks until recently.
    removed my socks a couple weeks ago.

12. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

For those of you that used to use socks and are now running sockless, have you noticed any "build up" of the nasty's in the drain section of your sump? Do you simply clean it out regularly? I would love to forgo the socks but have always been worried to do so. My fear has always been the amount of "stuff" in the socks just ends up in the sump. Would love to hear from those that have transitioned.

jsker, RyanCSGO and zachxlutz like this.
  13. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have switched from using felt filter socks to using a filter pad between baffles after the drain lines. I haven't seen too much additional build up of detritus although I am due to clean and service my skimmer, so I'll be in there soon to see up close and personal how much detritus gets deposited in the drain chamber.

dbl likes this.
  14. Antics

Antics Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

It's been a long time since I've used mesh over felt. Back when I used mesh I thought they stayed cleaner longer and were easier to clean BECAUSE they didn't work as well as felt. Did this change?

15. RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

honestly yes, there is definitely more stuff collecting in the sock area. but I'm ok with the trade off of not having to swap socks in and out and wash and clean them.
    my skimmer pulls darker and more consistent as well as my chaeto reactor appears to be growing faster.
    N03 less than 5, P04 undetectable since pulling the socks.

EDIT: N03 and P04 was the same using socks as well.

dbl likes this.
  16. Greybeard

Greybeard Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

No socks, and a sump monster. Get a rock crab, big emerald, gorilla crab, even a sally lightfoot can work. Something that will dig around in the sump and break up that detritus as it builds up.

zachxlutz and RyanCSGO like this.
  17. Grey Guy

Grey Guy Well-Known Member

Can’t stand filter socks. Too hard to clean. I use homemade filter box with felt sheets, that change out and clean up easy.

CamG likes this.
  18. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

I don't use socks 90% of the time. if I'm gonna stir sand or blow off rocks i'll pop in a sock for a couple hours but that's about it..

RyanCSGO likes this.
  19. Brien

Brien Member

I have both mesh and felt socks. I have seen every little difference in the amount of detritus in my sump using the mesh over the felt. However, mesh socks are significantly easier to clean, which is why I'm using mesh only now.

20. Kman237

Kman237 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I actually use both on my big tank but I do prefer Felt over mesh. I make the felt ones myself and toss them as they get real dirty.

Draft saved Draft deleted