Poll: Mesh or Felt/Cloth? Which sock do you prefer?

Mesh or Felt Socks - Which Do You Prefer

• Mesh

Votes: 114 20.9%
  • Felt

Votes: 249 45.7%
  • I Don't Use Filter Socks!

Votes: 182 33.4%

• Total voters

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. The mesh are much easier to clean because they do not catch as much as the felt. I can see the difference in the water and what collects in the sump. I always use felt when cleaning the tank. Clears the water a lot faster and gives it a polished look.That being said, I usually run mesh just because they are so much easier to switch out I do it more often.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that used to use socks and are now running sockless, have you noticed any "build up" of the nasty's in the drain section of your sump? Do you simply clean it out regularly? I would love to forgo the socks but have always been worried to do so. My fear has always been the amount of "stuff" in the socks just ends up in the sump. Would love to hear from those that have transitioned.

I make my own filter socks and used to change them every 2 to 3 days. I pulled the filter socks two weeks ago because I felt the socks were trapping nutrients and driving my phosphates and nitrate levels up. I have notice my glass does not need cleaning every couple of day. I will give it another week, then I can really tell if there is a difference.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would anyone use felt anymore when there's mesh socks? Better yet get yourself a media cup that fits into the sock holder. Fill it with floss and whatever else you want. Just toss the contents into the trash when it's dirty

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some sweet felt(ish) socks on amazon's market. They're a bit stiff, but there isn't any stitching - they're heat seals, which is AWESOME b/c most of my filter socks get pitched due to the stitching coming apart with wear and tear. I use 'em when I need them and always after a WC or major tank maint when I'm kicking up a bunch of kaka.

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love 200 micron felt socks, but have switched to no filter socks and the triton method. I am much happier know I am not cleaning filter socks all the time.

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both.

4 pairs of 100 micron felt, and 2 pairs of 200 mesh.

Believe it or not, the felt get clogged in 3 days, and the mesh in 1 or 2 days.

The felt can be washed in the washer.
The mesh have to bee cleaned by hand.

Hence i prefer felt.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i ask what micron your's is rated at, compared to you sock, & does it need changing as often?
Sorry it took so long to reply. I use the BRS 200 micron mesh sock. I just changed them for the first time after being in for about two weeks and oddly enough I feel like they plugged up faster than the felt ones did. I'll keep a closer eye on it this time and actually pay attention to how long it takes. Either way, cleaning them was literally 10 times faster than the quickest felt sock cleaning!

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would anyone use felt anymore when there's mesh socks? Better yet get yourself a media cup that fits into the sock holder. Fill it with floss and whatever else you want. Just toss the contents into the trash when it's dirty
I just started doing this. Using just a bit of floss to avoid fast clogging.

After 2 days the cup was clogged, and had to change and refill with new floss. As time consuming as changing socks, just with the advantage of not having to wash.

Im just waiting for my Chaeto to grow to go sockless.

This is definitely my least favorite thing about the hobby.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started doing this. Using just a bit of floss to avoid fast clogging.

After 2 days the cup was clogged, and had to change and refill with new floss. As time consuming as changing socks, just with the advantage of not having to wash.

Im just waiting for my Chaeto to grow to go sockless.

This is definitely my least favorite thing about the hobby.

I use loosely packed Tunze Macro Wadding. It's coarser than regular floss and lasts more than a week if I let it. Fine floss only gets deployed during sand bed maintenance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back