Poll: Most important factor in getting Coralline Algae to grow?

What is the most important factor in Coralline Algae growth?

• Lighting

Votes: 92 13.7%
  • Flow

Votes: 18 2.7%
  • Calcium

Votes: 167 24.9%
  • Alkalinity

Votes: 118 17.6%
  • Magnesium

Votes: 48 7.2%
  • No particular parameter, but stability in all of them

Votes: 241 35.9%
  • Time and patience

Votes: 153 22.8%
  • Luck

Votes: 45 6.7%
  • None of the above (discuss in thread)

Votes: 9 1.3%

• Total voters

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of Urchins should be an option. I never really had great coralline in my tank at work, but when the urchin i had in there died, it really took off. Granted that also coincided with when I decided to start paying better attention to the tank, but I am sure it was a factor...
i have a very busy urchin and lots coraline growing having to scrape it off the glass!

Also i believe mine has took off after dosing kh blend 2 or 3 times a week before that nothing.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting. Put on white lighting and watch it grow out of control. Switching in a single ATI Aquablue Special made my coraline growth explode. Removing my T5 for LED made coraline non-existant. Turning up the white on my radion brings some coraline back.

Seeing that my display struggles to grow coraline, but my sump with a single white LED light grows way too much coraline -- self contained experiment. It's lighting.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who wants coraline algae?

"Not I" ....said the blindnan....it gets everywhere.

You want LR covered with corals....not coralline algae.

Unless you love razorblading all internal areas of your tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any coraline algae when I used just the plain IO salt. I changed nothing else except I switched to IO reef crystals and immediately coraline algae began to grow. That's why I think calcium is a big contributor.

WVfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until this year I did not believe you could have a reef tank without coralline algae. All the previous reef tanks I've seen/owned/set up - all of them - had pink coralline. But when I finally set up a reef FOR ME (bucket list, older guy) I used naked white live rock from the 55 gal refugium of a 75 gal quarantine tank. No coralline introduced, none has grown, despite very rapid coral growth. And that's something else I was unprepared for; having a tank of thriving SPS corals after only four months. You can almost watch the montiporas, scrolls, etc., grow. Thumbnail-sizes frags have grown to be six - seven inches across since February. I've seen rapid growth with leathers, etc. but not SPS. Weird.

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha ok. I guess if the salifert test says so, you must be at absolute zero phosphate.
No but id say it is pretty low so u saying phospate is more than likely the cause of growth unlikely. My phos is so low nopox wouldnt even work!

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was really excited to get corraline algae growing all over my rocks. But now i'm with @skimjim and I just wish it didn't grow in my tank at all. I'm tired of cleaning it off of everything. I don't know if it actually grows faster on glass and plastic than anywhere else, but it sure feels that way when i'm cleaning.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience

High Ph tanks seem to grow a ton more
LED only tanks very often seem to be less likely to grow coralline. Whereas hybrid, halide or t5 tanks have no issue.
Well maintained alkalinity. Any tank where the alkalinity is allowed to drop frequently seems to have real issues.

Anecdotally I will say kalkwasser tanks aways seem to have solid coralline coverage.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on keeping urchin out of the tank

I have steady C.A growth and fairly neutral to my desire vs hate for it. I don't mind scraping glass and the color is nice in places, but not seeking it out. I will share that I didn't realize how much C.A. an urchin can consume. For me it was a plus bc my CA went down and thus demand for ALK. My Alk started rising with the same dose which tells me my consumption is going down... = urchin eating up CA? Maybe.. But now saving money on ALK lol

Joshuafisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME coralline is about 1st, lower nutrients - specifically dissolved organic matter which I primarily gauge with bioload and other elevated nutrients along with hair algae outbreaks. Particularly elevated phosphate seems to inhibit coralline in my experience although I am sure there are exceptions. 2nd, lower light. The old days of PC lights or even just indirect fluorescent lighting coralline was crazy. My LFS is letting a tank sit plumbed up, empty (rock but no fish or coral) and just under overhead store lighting, no lights on the tank, and months later the coralline is so thick they had to sand the acrylic. With my tanks that have intense lighting the coralline mostly grows in the shade. 3rd, high alk - I have noticed in my systems that alk in the 10 to 11 range to really fuel growth.

I 100% agree. My old salt mix was 11.5alk and after about 6 months I started to get specks everywhere. I got few more corals got new salt which is 8.0 alk then added sump and I haven’t seen any since it’s been about a year now. Parameters are good some hair algae still exists on one rock and no coralline. I lean to higher alkalinity.

John in Duluth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Calcium is a little over 600 in a FOWLR with snails tank. I am wondering if by seeding coraline algae, will it lower my calcium levels back down to normal. Also, I have a lobster tank - its Calcium level is also a little over 600. Thoughts?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back