Poll: Most important factor in getting Coralline Algae to grow?

What is the most important factor in Coralline Algae growth?

• Lighting

Votes: 92 13.7%
  • Flow

Votes: 18 2.7%
  • Calcium

Votes: 167 24.9%
  • Alkalinity

Votes: 118 17.6%
  • Magnesium

Votes: 48 7.2%
  • No particular parameter, but stability in all of them

Votes: 241 35.9%
  • Time and patience

Votes: 153 22.8%
  • Luck

Votes: 45 6.7%
  • None of the above (discuss in thread)

Votes: 9 1.3%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago we did a poll on what folks do to control Coralline Algae in their systems. Another question often asked is how do I get Coralline Algae to grow? Let's take a look today at what you consider the most important factor in getting CA to grow. Feel free to discuss below.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the Pros and Cons of coralline algae?

I have done some research and seem to find many different angles, opinions, and almost no answers that I can be sure are what to go by... (what else is new in SW research)

Does it depend on your goal with the tank, or the type of coral you are growing? Is it sought after? Or needed but in moderation?

Any help or references to articles that are true and factual would be appreciated!

Thanks!

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of Urchins should be an option. I never really had great coralline in my tank at work, but when the urchin i had in there died, it really took off. Granted that also coincided with when I decided to start paying better attention to the tank, but I am sure it was a factor...

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the Pros and Cons of coralline algae?

I have done some research and seem to find many different angles, opinions, and almost no answers that I can be sure are what to go by... (what else is new in SW research)

Does it depend on your goal with the tank, or the type of coral you are growing? Is it sought after? Or needed but in moderation?

Any help or references to articles that are true and factual would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Poll is missing nutrients! A sterile tank won't grow coraline.

+ Makes tank look mature (opinion)
+ Helps prevent algae from growing slightly

- Uses calc, alk and mag
- Blocks porus structures on rock, reducing surface area for bacteria
- Increase maintenance due to scraping glass and equipment

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is just introducing it from the beginning along with stability. That being said, I do whatever I can to remove it lol. I don't like the way it looks and it uses up valuable nutrients :)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 factor in coral growth is WEEKLY WATER CHANGES

People dont want to do them bc:
- it's time consuming
- salt is expensive

In the big bad ocean, corals are getting water changes hourly with massive amts of NSW flowing in and out constantly.

So, people blow off WCs and corals dont get all the nutrients they need

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for calcium, alkalinity, and time. Before I started dosing 2 part I couldn't grow coraline to save my life. As soon as I started dosing 2 part my coraline has taken off and now my back wall has almost completely been covered. My guess is I didn't have enough cal and alk in the tank for the coraline to grow.

evolve29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago we did a poll on what folks do to control Coralline Algae in their systems. Another question often asked is how do I get Coralline Algae to grow? Let's take a look today at what you consider the most important factor in getting CA to grow. Feel free to discuss below.

I have to say lighting but they say Coraline Algae is a sign of a healthy tank. I got two LTs in my established tank doing incredible. I switched my light to the Orbit Marine LED light and my Coraline grower crazy to the front of the tank.
I don’t mind it just wished it wasn’t at front of tank.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great discussion. I have two rocks with coralline, which I bought that way. I was told to place them near other rock and it will help spread. I’ve had a lot of issues with cyano and hair algae, but I’m getting a handle on that. Also going to dose calcium weekly to ensure my zoas and palythoas thrive.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My coralline algae's a huge indicator for Calcium levels and and huge consumer of calcium as well. When I start to see white spots appear or sometimes little white blister looking shapes, it's telling me my Calcium's dropped below 380. When I keep my calcium levels consistently higher above 420 my coralline plates out and gets amazing deep purple colors that has a smooth almost shiny surface (clearly looks like a healthier form of coralline algae). That particular algae is extremely resistant to other harmful or unwanted algae's like hair and bubble algae. It put's a barrier on the rock that loves coral growth and keeps unwanted algae off my rocks.

This shows the smooth skin darker coralline on the bottom and another variety on the top that's lighter shade and this particular form is my Calcium level indicator. The darker shaded coralline seems to be less effected by lower calcium levels.
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

This was a healthy growing coralline plate with a smooth surface and all solid purple. My calcium levels have been on the low side 380ish for a few weeks and the plate stopped growing and now blistered with white spots. My calcium's back up but it will take a few weeks to see the plate recover and start growing again.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Last edited:

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coralline algae's a huge indicator for Calcium levels and and huge consumer of calcium as well. When I start to see white spots appear or sometimes little white blister looking shapes, it's telling me my Calcium's dropped below 380. When I keep my calcium levels consistently higher above 420 my coralline plates out and gets amazing deep purple colors that has a smooth almost shiny surface (clearly looks like a healthier form of coralline algae). That particular algae is extremely resistant to other harmful or unwanted algae's like hair and bubble algae. It put's a barrier on the rock that loves coral growth and keeps unwanted algae off my rocks.

This shows the smooth skin darker coralline on the bottom and another variety on the top that's lighter shade and this particular form is my Calcium level indicator. The darker shaded coralline seems to be less effected by lower calcium levels.
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

This was a healthy growing coralline plate with a smooth surface and all solid purple. My calcium levels have been on the low side 380ish for a few weeks and the plate stopped growing and now blistered with white spots. My calcium's back up but it will take a few weeks to see the plate recover and start growing again.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
That’s really interesting analysis, thanks!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good poll ! So far looks like stability is a strong leader. I get good coraline on the rocks but hardly on any glass. just a few spots. I do like the look on the back glass.
Also, I recently went BB on the 75 & would like some on the bottom glass.
My guess is I didn't have enough cal and alk in the tank for the coraline to grow.
Crabs ,remember what your lower Alk/Ca levels before You got good growth? Thanks

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had like 100x the coralline growth on my tank when I was new to the hobby just blindly dosing kent marine A and B and the tank being dirty than I do now with carefully monitored SPS parameters and a higher quality light. (old like was a cheap halide so maybe that was a factor) My tank was definitely not stable, lots of calcium (I assume as I didn't test) and lots of nutrients.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good poll ! So far looks like stability is a strong leader. I get good coraline on the rocks but hardly on any glass. just a few spots. I do like the look on the back glass.
Also, I recently went BB on the 75 & would like some on the bottom glass.

Crabs ,remember what your lower Alk/Ca levels before You got good growth? Thanks
Honestly, I don't have an exact number. Before switching to 2 part I was dosing alot of stuff I couldn't test for. And I was using an API test kit. Then I picked up the hannah alk checker and the salifert calcium checker, figured out my daily consumption, and dosed to get the levels up to where I wanted them which is alk around 8.5 and calcium around 450. and then dosing 38ml of each daily.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability of parameters is key, but in my experience growth will grind to a halt if surfaces are out-competed by other algae species. In my tank, coralline growth explodes when I consistently keep PO4 below 0.04ppm because that seems to be the limiting nutrient for nuisance algae with my setup. When PO4 is higher, coralline grows on the rocks, but not the powerhead/back wall. because the hermits can reach the rockwork in time to keep nuisance algae in check. Probably different in other setups.

IMO the biggest overlooked factor if you've stabilized parameters is to regularly seed coralline scrapings. Once every few weeks, I grab a coralline-covered rock, frag plug, or snail shell and use a razor to scrape all of the coralline off and into a little cup of tank water. Then I turn the return pump off for a bit and pour the mixture into my tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time believing lighting, simply because the first place I get coralline on new rocks is parts that are in the shade and out of the light. If lighting is important how does it grow in areas that aren't lit at all?

evolve29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time believing lighting, simply because the first place I get coralline on new rocks is parts that are in the shade and out of the light. If lighting is important how does it grow in areas that aren't lit at all?

Maybe other factors to consider but my tank didn’t have growth coraline especially in the front until I changed lighting. Something happened and that is the only thing I changed. It is literally covering the front of the tank. I am no expert on Coraline but when I changed my lighting and my lighting sits on tank and can move to direct light in front.
All my Coraline is in front of the tank as oppose to back where there is little light coverage.
It exploded in the front when it covers pretty the front of the tank where all my light is. I would like some insight on this. This is only one part of my tank right front area.
5066d103e7cb75d5e983b30dfbfc3818.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME coralline is about 1st, lower nutrients - specifically dissolved organic matter which I primarily gauge with bioload and other elevated nutrients along with hair algae outbreaks. Particularly elevated phosphate seems to inhibit coralline in my experience although I am sure there are exceptions. 2nd, lower light. The old days of PC lights or even just indirect fluorescent lighting coralline was crazy. My LFS is letting a tank sit plumbed up, empty (rock but no fish or coral) and just under overhead store lighting, no lights on the tank, and months later the coralline is so thick they had to sand the acrylic. With my tanks that have intense lighting the coralline mostly grows in the shade. 3rd, high alk - I have noticed in my systems that alk in the 10 to 11 range to really fuel growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back