POLL: VorTech vs. Gyre! Which one do you prefer.

POLL: VorTech vs. Gyre: Which one do you prefer?

  • Vortech

    Votes: 99 57.9%
  • Gyre

    Votes: 72 42.1%

  • Total voters
    171
If you plan to clean the pump every 1 month then go with gyre. Once algae grow onto, they will most likely dont pull much water out. i always preferred vortech so i can control it via apex.
 
If you plan to clean the pump every 1 month then go with gyre. Once algae grow onto, they will most likely dont pull much water out. i always preferred vortech so i can control it via apex.
Another thing about the gyre is one u take it apart to clean it seems like its never the same, but then again it comes with 2 extra replacements
 
It also matters what application it will be used on. This is a huge factor. If I'm housing just lps, I'm going vortech but if I'm doing sps or gigantea carpet tank (like mine) then I definitely go gyre. Honestly though I've said this numerous times, you can't go wrong with either both great pumps and great companies.
 
I have one of each :p I wish they made a smaller gyre for nano's
 
Update, my 3 month old completely non algae coated gyre just went out of service last week.

I'll be pulling it and contacting Jeremy this coming week.

I bought it at $299 just about a week before the price drop and getting the 10% was going to be too much trouble because it was via aquarium specialty via amazon.

It's never been disassembled either.

One side has flow, the other side doesnt.
 
hmm been a long time fan of vortech might have to try the gyre now.
 
VorTechs look better, have more features, are quieter (from what I've heard of them), have 10000000x better customer support behind them and are comparable in price when all factors are considered. If you have a grudge against VorTechs or EcoTech Marine, then the Gyre is for you. That's the only reason I could see to buy one. Besides that, VorTech/EcoTech Marine ALL THE WAY!
 
VorTechs look better, have more features, are quieter (from what I've heard of them), have 10000000x better customer support behind them and are comparable in price when all factors are considered. If you have a grudge against VorTechs or EcoTech Marine, then the Gyre is for you. That's the only reason I could see to buy one. Besides that, VorTech/EcoTech Marine ALL THE WAY!

I have nothing against VorTech/EcoTech Marine... I'm currently running 2 Radions and a Vectra and love them both. I'm just looking at other products to see what's out there.
 
Curious about the opinions of many. However, unfortunately, the gyre will not fit at the end of my bow.
 
I was debating the same thing about 2 months ago. Went with the gyre150 and have more than enough power ever needed. Can run pump on lower speed with the 150 putting less stress on the motor over time and it is absolutely quite. I love mine.
 
I have two gyre 130"s and mp40 use the 130" on the top of the take for water movement and the mp40 for movement in the center of the tank.
 
+1 vote for the gyre. As JBNY pointed out, I can barely see the gyres in my tank. The water flow is incredible and I have had no issues at all. Cleaning has more pieces than a vortech, but it's still easy to do. I love them, and my polyp extension is better than ever.
 
I bought two gyres when it was release.

I don't like them near as much as vortech. Have to constantly clean and pita with chord to wet side to dissamble 'wet' side. Also the chord sheathing is already cracked and starting to expose near the motor block on both. Can't see that they will last near as long as vortech.

I had four MP40 on 300gallon tank and not having two deal with the chord to clean is a plus. Had them for 4 years and no issues. Was able to seek them and upgraded all 4 to the quiet drive. QDs are awesome. Much quieter than the gyre in any mode.

I would not buy gyre again.
 
I run 3 mp10s on my tank never had a problem with them and ecotech marine has excellent customer service and the pumps are controllable via wirelessly
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new