Poll: What do you do with your old saltwater?

What do you do with your old saltwater after a water change?

• Dump it

Votes: 636 91.1%
  • Use it to kick start another tank

Votes: 28 4.0%
  • Use it to kick start a QT tank

Votes: 41 5.9%
  • Use it to cure rocks

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Use it to store live rocks not currently being used

Votes: 20 2.9%
  • Other - discuss in thread

Votes: 31 4.4%

• Total voters

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes down the drain.
I have an AWC so it's only little bits at a time.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no chemist, but I believe the synthetic salt we use for our aquariums is rich in Mag, which I find is usually a good plant fertilizer, or most fertilizers have some amount of it in them. Not to mention the added nutrients, which works as a fertilizer as well. I’ve been doing this for a long time, my tomatoes and roses love the skimmate. But don’t hold me to it.

2567FBEF-22B4-438B-A456-BF38578C9545.jpeg

This surprises me. I once used a bunch of clippings from house plants in my fuge... just put them in their and allowed them to hang to over the top. I figured it would provide nutrients to the clippings. Well... they didn't die, but they clearly didn't like being in the salt water.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This surprises me. I once used a bunch of clippings from house plants in my fuge... just put them in their and allowed them to hang to over the top. I figured it would provide nutrients to the clippings. Well... they didn't die, but they clearly didn't like being in the salt water.

I don’t know about clippings, if you do plan on trying this, I would suggest doing it on something that is planted in the ground, is a well rooted plant/grass, and also something that has some form of irrigation, so the salt water doesn’t just sit there, but actually gets watered into the soil.
Again, don’t hold me to it, it’s just Something I’ve been doing for a couple of years, and I’m also a gardener by trade, so I have
Experience with Plants etc.
Everyone’s results will be different,
Depending on there situation.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250 gallon water tank and put it in there with the rain water I catch. I was originally using the water to mix with my fertilizer for the pastures and then stopped doing that. The tank now connects to hoses buried in my garden that are connected to small faucets used to water the plants. My peppers and tomatoes have doubled fruit production since doing this. I also have one hose the runs to a water trough for my goats. The trough was originally a place to store my cheato when I thinned it out since it was being used for treats for the goats. Well a kid left the gate open and they ate all the cheato and drank most the water. Come to find out goats prefer the salt water over the trough with fresh well water. The vet told me goats prefer salt water over fresh as it aids in digestion of things they eat. After finding that out and doing some research to make sure it wasn’t bovine scatology from the vet, I snagged a float valve so the trough stays full and moved into the field. Haven’t lost a goat yet and they all are doing great. Do have to say that the tank stays about empty now as it is summer and the garden needs more then I change out. The goats are also cut off right now lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If Im removing it, its for a reason, so I would therefore not save it Unless an urgent need is in place

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 150 gallons a week. I got this planter/ garden, whatever outside my pool cage that grows ridiculous weeds. I was bout over the roundup, yard guys didn’t care so now I dump my saltwater on the weeds. Better than Roundup. Swing.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I use the leftover water to hatch brine shrimp to feed to my fish and corals.

milkman754

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the winter i dump it on my driveway. It melts the ice instantly being it’s over 70 degrees and salty as hell

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump most of mine, but always keep a few gallons of old water in gallon water bottles for emergency use. If there's ever an emergency and I don't have enough new water mixed, at least I have something that I know isn't tainted.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back