Poll: Your take on shimmer effect?

What is your take on the shimmer effect from lighting?

• I like it and have achieved it

Votes: 332 53.4%
  • I like it and am looking for ways to add or enhance it

Votes: 94 15.1%
  • I don't like it and find it distracting

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • I have no opinion one way or the other

Votes: 139 22.3%
  • Other (discuss in thread)

Votes: 7 1.1%

• Total voters

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many natural reefs experience shimmer, so I think it is a worthwhile goal for the reef tank. ANY point-source light will produce shimmer IF there is water surface movement.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve storkled in the UK and Red Sea totally different but the shimmering effect underwater is so obvious and STUNNING! I never seen articfial light come close to it though unfortunately. My idea of heaven is swimming few meters down on a sunny day with those laser beams of light sparkling all around. Bliss

I use LED, Metal Halide and T5 over my display, I combined the lot as they all bring something but it’s still not close to what I’ve seen in nature sadly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cant beat Kessils, but also the new Fluval lighting and Halo lights offer great shimmer.

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run metal halides and led. Halides produce a more natural shimmer than the leds. Surface agitation is required for the shimmer effect.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils and T-5 over my 120. I took my kessils out to clean the fans the other day and just had the t-5 on and it looked fairly lifeless. LOVE the shimmer and it is also enhanced when you have some bright t-5(s) to supplement.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a little but some systems look like a strobe light. I actually use a florescent light defuser on my tank which has 4 black box lights. I dont get very mich shimmer needless to say, but than again my wrasse also stay in the tank too.

rockhead51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my phone, which doesn't do the poll thing, but I am a +1 for shimmer. I have been diving for 30 years, and yes, it does shimmer underwater, but not very deep (then again, my tank is about 2 feet deep, so.... LOL).
I am run in a BioCube 32 LED, but upgraded to Steve's LEDs, and the shimmer is awesome. It IS most definitely "smaller" (if that makes sense) than the natural sunlight on waves/chop, but I think that is to be expected....

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like shimmer, but haven’t been able to get the look I like. I like MH the best. I’d love to get the full natural shimmer look...with distinguishable lines. I’ve never seen anything that can do it though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back