OP
G

GuyWalker1219

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info on both the flatworm (I never heard of and now will watch for) and Bayer Advanced! Since I don't have a real local LFS less than an hour away to get Coral RX the Bayer is readily available in a 5 minute drive away :) Thanks!

No problem Im glad you enjoyed it.

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

GuyWalker1219

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert this thread has become pretty awesome mostly due to your following up with everybody's questions and all the added information that you have provided for that I also would like to thank you.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to you both, it IS probably, IMO, one of- if not the top, best threads for me. I have a huge problem with bristle worms, tiny flatworms that won't die and I've seen some zoa eating stars lately. My tank is Very clean but yet they're there. I think most all came from one acro that later died. The bristleworms came from a LFS.

I would like to dip all my rock and have 2 or 3 trash cans of fresh sw to rinse them in afterwards. I know some will be in my sb so I'm debating on replacing it. Unless I can rehome my snails, hermits, sandsifting star and brittke star until the coast is clear. I just think it might be safer to replace the sb. What do you think?

Jackie

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert this thread has become pretty awesome mostly due to your following up with everybody's questions and all the added information that you have provided for that I also would like to thank you.

Thank you Sir ... I appreciate the kind words

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to you both, it IS probably, IMO, one of- if not the top, best threads for me. I have a huge problem with bristle worms, tiny flatworms that won't die and I've seen some zoa eating stars lately. My tank is Very clean but yet they're there. I think most all came from one acro that later died. The bristleworms came from a LFS.

I would like to dip all my rock and have 2 or 3 trash cans of fresh sw to rinse them in afterwards. I know some will be in my sb so I'm debating on replacing it. Unless I can rehome my snails, hermits, sandsifting star and brittke star until the coast is clear. I just think it might be safer to replace the sb. What do you think?

Jackie

I prefer natural methods if at all possible over others. Your small red bugs can be dealt with by using for instance a six line wrasse, the Bristleworms are typically detrivores and not harmful but if you have Fireworms then that it another story and you would need to either use a trap to catch them (with food inside) and they would be caught at night, as that is when they come out.

Do you have a picture of the Zoa eating stars ? If they are white Asterina stars they are not eating your Zoas but you may have Nudibranchs in the tank that do and again you would only see those at night with for instance one of the Red LED Critter Torches or you may have small spiders that feed on them ... again a Picture would help ...

Try to post some pics or describe them more in detail and Guy and I may be able to help ... if you cannot take pics look on the net in e.g. images.google and see if you can find what looks like what you have by searching for Zoa eating Nudibranchs, or Zoa eating spiders, or terms to that effect.

An on the Bristleworms .. you say you have many ... what do you consider many and have you actually seen them do any damage to anything ?

Albert

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer natural methods if at all possible over others. Your small red bugs can be dealt with by using for instance a six line wrasse, the Bristleworms are typically detrivores and not harmful but if you have Fireworms then that it another story and you would need to either use a trap to catch them (with food inside) and they would be caught at night, as that is when they come out.

I have a 6 line wrasse and agree natural methods are best. But too many flatworms so I used flatworm exit. It seemed to do the job then a week later more were on the glass. The bristleworms are mainly 4" or less and there are what seems to be a hundred or two. These look like common bristleworms in comparison to online pictures. I can't keep acros or clams at all and my perimeters, lighting and all are good. This tank is 2+ years established also. Even though I've emptied it before of its rock and coral to place a sraybar return on the sb under the rock ridge I did not disturb the sb other than removing and putting the rock/corals back in. (That spraybar return works great btw)

Do you have a picture of the Zoa eating stars ? If they are white Asterina stars they are not eating your Zoas but you may have Nudibranchs in the tank that do and again you would only see those at night with for instance one of the Red LED Critter Torches or you may have small spiders that feed on them ... again a Picture would help ...

Yes, they are white asterina stars. I've looked nightly with a red light and haven't seen spiders or any nudibranches of any kind. I do have some very large ampipods though. Almost look like tiny shrimp without color.

Try to post some pics or describe them more in detail and Guy and I may be able to help ... if you cannot take pics look on the net in e.g. images.google and see if you can find what looks like what you have by searching for Zoa eating Nudibranchs, or Zoa eating spiders, or terms to that effect.
Thank you :D
1393785275652.jpg

An on the Bristleworms .. you say you have many ... what do you consider many and have you actually seen them do any damage to anything

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess they did show up.... sorry about that. They appeared broken on my phone. I do have something else in my tank I believed to be a good thing but maybe not. I'll add that picture now
20140131_174343.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, don't know why the images are broken. May be my phone I'll repost them with my laptop.

OK I will look again when I get a notification ... as I would like to see the attachments ...

I will then reply to the rest of your message as well, either this evening or in the morning

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed with my large laptop screen you can see some flatworms on the image of the bristle worm!

Well let me try and figure out what is going on here as there are several pics and several statements and I need to try and make sense out of what may be going on.

Those white Asterina star btw do NOT eat Zoathinds ... in fact most of those Asterina get eaten by corals so there has to be something else in that tank ...

You sent me a single picture (lots of blue) but it is hard to make out what that could be .. I used my magnifying glass and it looks like I see two small protrusions at the front but I cannot quite make out the rest of the body is that part right behind it is actually the body ... do I see a hairy mass there ? Can you describe what that is maybe ?

Be back

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1393788622984.jpg

Here is a much better pic of the flatworm

Yes I see the flatworms and you will need to get those out by using the six line and siphoning out as many as you can. Note that when you kill too many in one session they release a toxin that can affect your fish and corals so you have to be careful when using additives to kill them off and those look to me like normal red bugs which do not harm anything but when there are many they can shield a coral from the light to the point where it cannot photosynthesize ... other than that they are not known to cause any damage ... based on what I see they are not carnivorous flatworms ...

Be back later

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1393788622984.jpg

Here is a much better pic of the flatworm

Here is an article on how to deal with your Flatworms .... Also let me know whether those are the ones you have and it appears to me that they are ... but that pic is so small that it is hard to tell but if they congregate on a coral for instance you would have dozens and dozens of them on that same coral

http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

More later

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let me try and figure out what is going on here as there are several pics and several statements and I need to try and make sense out of what may be going on.

Those white Asterina star btw do NOT eat Zoathinds ... in fact most of those Asterina get eaten by corals so there has to be something else in that tank ...

You sent me a single picture (lots of blue) but it is hard to make out what that could be .. I used my magnifying glass and it looks like I see two small protrusions at the front but I cannot quite make out the rest of the body is that part right behind it is actually the body ... do I see a hairy mass there ? Can you describe what that is maybe ?

Be back

I think maybe you're talking about the picture with what I think is a snail of sorts. Or is it the one that's cloudy? The cloudy one is of the flatworms before I treated it the 1st time. I'll see if I can find a better picture of the snail or try to edit the blue to help identify it. AI Sol Blues are creating all the blue you see and my phone camera loves to pick it up. :squigglemouth:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140201_103447.jpg 20131210_231858.jpg Thank you Albert :)

What I see here could be hydroids and those are a lot more difficult to deal with as they are not only destructive but very hard to get out of one's tank ... let me look at this some more. I am going to put the pic in Photoshop and see if I can make out better what is on the glass

be back

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back