Polyclad Flatworm (P.Mopsus) The Clam Killer

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed with my large laptop screen you can see some flatworms on the image of the bristle worm!

Do you see anything that looks like this ... if you do they are Hydroids ...

hydroids.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the second one many times on the glass but so far not the 1st. Did you also see this on the bristle worm picture?

Those are Hydroids ... and they are tough to get rid of ... and about the only way I Know of that is guaranteed is manual removal and many use tweezers to do it and then scrape the base of the rock where they removed one ... it is tedious and takes a long time and has to be repeated over and over till they are all gone ...

No real predators either that eat them.

And some suggest using kalkwasser and injecting them with that but I can assure you that does not work ...

Manual removal is the only way .. (unfortunately)

Now if you can get the rock out where there are many you can scrape them off in a separate container making sure you really scrape the base where they were to really kill them off

The ones on the glass you should be able to siphon out but you may have to use a scraper to loosen them and then suck them up with the syphon hose that is help really close by.

Sorry ... I know that is not good news but there really is no other way I know of

Albert

PS still looking at what I have not responded to, but I have tons of other email too .. so I need to try to balance things out if you know what I mean :) but I will get back to you

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Albert, I appreciate all of your help and understand :)

So hydroids are bad for the corals? I'm glad you noticed it then. Someone else said they were harmless ... I first saw them at the same times as the flatworms.

So I guess then I have a question pertaining to this thread and Bayer treatment.

If I treated whatever these hitchhiked in on, it would not have killed the flatworms or hydroids? I used Coral Rx but after doing so I realzed it was out dated.

Jackie

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. Just got another picture of the bristle worm un curled if that helps but then noticed the pod up near his bend. This is the pod that gets pretty big.
1393795902144.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Albert, I appreciate all of your help and understand :)

So hydroids are bad for the corals? I'm glad you noticed it then. Someone else said they were harmless ... I first saw them at the same times as the flatworms.

So I guess then I have a question pertaining to this thread and Bayer treatment.

If I treated whatever these hitchhiked in on, it would not have killed the flatworms or hydroids? I used Coral Rx but after doing so I realzed it was out dated.

Jackie

Yes Hydroids are bad and you will need to try and get them out manually as I mentioned.. I know it is a lot of work but that is the only way and no Coral Rx will not kill them and the Bayer product is a dip product not one you add to the aquarium, but all it takes is when you did that the piece as some spores on it or eggs and the dip will not kill those or if it does it may only kill some so when that piece then goes in the tank over time the spores give rise to the Hydroids and the eggs may give rise to whatever they were eggs of ... so yes dipping helps but you need to inspect the coral or piece of rock carefully and look for egg masses that may be present and get those off (scrape) before you put the piece in the tank.

Does that guarantee that you will not have any of this happen ? No but it greatly reduces the chances ...

Right now you are going to have to do a lot of maintenance to slowly clean up the tank and get rid of all the nuisance stuff you have in the tank

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. Just got another picture of the bristle worm un curled if that helps but then noticed the pod up near his bend. This is the pod that gets pretty big.
1393795902144.jpg

Well if that worm is about 4 inches as you mentioned then that pod is small ... but how big does it get and do you see it on corals or on fish ? Do you have many of those or is that just one you saw and have you seen fish eating them ?

If the fish eat them I would not worry about them but if they do not then it could a parasitic isopod of some sort and then it needs to come out of the tank ...

You can read this to learn more about pods ..

Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Albert

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Ok. I somehow knew you were going to say that. Well, time to get to work then. At least I just made another 30g of fresh SW. I really am pretty consistent with wc and maintenence. My tank is my baby lol!

Thank you :D
uploadfromtaptalk1393800411558.jpg

Jackie

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if that worm is about 4 inches as you mentioned then that pod is small ... but how big does it get and do you see it on corals or on fish ? Do you have many of those or is that just one you saw and have you seen fish eating them ?

If the fish eat them I would not worry about them but if they do not then it could a parasitic isopod of some sort and then it needs to come out of the tank ...

You can read this to learn more about pods ..

Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Albert

This worm is 1 1/2" and that pod is average but there are bigger ones like it. I've seen them at night all over the coral and rock. I didn't actually see them eating at anything however. I will do some reading on the article you linked. Thanks again Albert :D

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Ok. I somehow knew you were going to say that. Well, time to get to work then. At least I just made another 30g of fresh SW. I really am pretty consistent with wc and maintenence. My tank is my baby lol!

Thank you :D
uploadfromtaptalk1393800411558.jpg

Jackie

You are welcome Jackie and more tomorrow as I have to get ready for my weekly radio show on WM Aquaculture Blogtalk radio tonight .. You can see more details on it on my FB page ajthiel1 where the info is posted and you can listen to it live or after the fact anytime as it is recorded. Here is the link to my FB page : https://www.facebook.com/ajthiel1

Be back with some more info for you tomorrow ... AND nice looking tank you have there !

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Albert :)

I added you on FB but still trying to figure out how to hear your radio broadcast, never tried to do that before. Sounds so interesting!

Jackie

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I added you on FB but still trying to figure out how to hear your radio broadcast, never tried to do that before. Sounds so interesting!

Jackie

When you see the announcement there is a link ... and when you click on that link you should be taken to the Radio show ... but it is on your PC and you need speakers on it or earphones to listen.

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jackie

I think except for that snail if it is one we covered the issues you had and that you need to deal with and hopefully I gave you enough info so you know what to do .. but if not let me know ... TKS

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both :) I'll be working on ridding the pests this week and next. Don't want to do too much at once and upset the balance in the tank. There are waaaay too many bristleworms for my liking as well so that will also be delt with. I don't mind some as they can be beneficial but too many can also be a problem.

Back