Polyp bail out?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently been dealing with my LPS and polyp bail out. A little history being all of my SPS died after a phosphate spike (.13 to .26) overnight. This was a few months ago. My SPS have since all died and now slowly all of my high end torches and frogs pawns heads keep falling out. I’m not sure if this is a result of the phosphate spike. I tried dosing polyp booster and it crashed my tank. Never saw any polyp extension either while using it. What a waste! Anyways….

my parameters as of last night were
Alk - 7.3dkh
Phosphate - .09
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1500
Nitrates - 12
Salinity 1.025

I’m currently dosing Bionic 2 part at 8ml alk and 8 ml calcium daily. My system is a 120 gallon 4x2x2 with a 36 gallon sump. Lighting is 2 x hydra 32’s with T-5 in an aquatic life hybrid fixture. It should be noted that All of these corals were thriving prior to the spike, however now that my parameters are stable nothing is getting better. Slowly all my LPS are going. Zoanthids and Ricordia mushrooms look fine. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alk low
Mag high
nitrates a bit high
Phosphate very high

I have listed below recommended ranges. What test kits are you using ?
If API, you may be getting false readings producing what you are seeing.
Also are you using tap water from faucet OR RODI water ?

One thing that will help with your Phosphate and nitrate issue is Addition of a large pouch of CjemiPure Blue or Elite which will curb both and keep them in check
Also assure moderate light and water flow provided As Too strong of light or water flow will contribute to bailout.

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .5
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-10
CA 440

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk low
Mag high
nitrates a bit high
Phosphate very high

I have listed below recommended ranges. What test kits are you using ?
If API, you may be getting false readings producing what you are seeing.
Also are you using tap water from faucet OR RODI water ?

One thing that will help with your Phosphate and nitrate issue is Addition of a large pouch of CjemiPure Blue or Elite which will curb both and keep them in check
Also assure moderate light and water flow provided As Too strong of light or water flow will contribute to bailout.

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .5
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-10
CA 440
So I use Hanna checkers for alk and phosphates. Nyos for nitrates, Red Sea pro for magnesium and salifert for calcium. My temperature has been high around 81 (tank set to 78) which always happens in the summer but was never an issue. I had a dinos break out earlier in the year when I was testing phosphates at .04. I sent out an ICP test and it tested at .01. So now I run phosphates between .09-.13. Thinking my test kit was off. I was also under the impression that this range of phosphates was good. I don’t dose magnesium, only alk and calcium. Since my calcium is good, how do I lower magnesium?

Again… these corals were thriving prior to the phosphate spike. Could this just be the lingering affects? I can try the chemical pure. I usually throw a couple reusable bags of carbon in my sump.
I also think because of all the coral die off that my phosphates were taking a while to stabilize.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I use Hanna checkers for alk and phosphates. Nyos for nitrates, Red Sea pro for magnesium and salifert for calcium. My temperature has been high around 81 (tank set to 78) which always happens in the summer but was never an issue. I had a dinos break out earlier in the year when I was testing phosphates at .04. I sent out an ICP test and it tested at .01. So now I run phosphates between .09-.13. Thinking my test kit was off. I was also under the impression that this range of phosphates was good. I don’t dose magnesium, only alk and calcium. Since my calcium is good, how do I lower magnesium?

Again… these corals were thriving prior to the phosphate spike. Could this just be the lingering affects? I can try the chemical pure. I usually throw a couple reusable bags of carbon in my sump.
I also think because of all the coral die off that my phosphates were taking a while to stabilize.
Phosphates cause major issues

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back