Polyp extension w/biopellet and phos remover

OMG Corals

meat popsicle
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
257
Reaction score
2
Location
Ocala, fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have problems with PE when using biopellets with phos removers and carbon. I'm thinking I'm starving things or causing a po4 deficiancy. I've read some articles on this and some have the problem, some don't. I feed pretty heavily and my params are great. I use Chemi pure elite and Aluminum oxide for phos/silicate removal. I think it may be too much. Skimmer is working great.

PO4 : undetectable
nitrate : 0
Alk 9dkh
sal : 1.026
cal : 390-400
mag : 1280
ph : 8.2

Any feedback?
 
i havent had any issues, just had my alk drop a little bit.
How big is your system and how many biopellets did you use (yes an exact count 546084 or? haha how many cups etc)
 
I had some corals that werent giving as much PE but after adjusting my pellect reactor output to my main system (instead of the skimmer) I noticed alot of the harder coral where then giving much better PE. I feed pretty heavily using a mixture of golden pearls, cyclopese, esv plankton (all dry stuff), mixed in with amino acids and other frozen fish food. I only get a chance to feed once a day so it is pretty heavy each day. If I dont feed I do see my corals get lighter.
 
System is 250 gallons total volume including sump/fuge and I used about 125 grams of Brightwell Katalyst. It recommends 1 gram per 2 gals. So that seemed right to me.

I was thinking of moving the output to away from the skimmer but was affraid to do that. I think i'm gonna try to remove the phos remover and the carbon and go from there. Maybe just run Chemipure elites 2 or 3 days before water change and then remove it after the water change.
 
Well I removed the carbon and the phosphate remover and things are looking much better even after a couple days. Polyps are extending much better and the night extension is amazing. Also seeing a increase in coloration. Also added a new amino acid/recovery supplement, seems to be helping alot. Guess I was starving things and they were not getting enough nutrients. We'll shall see....
 
I think you just had too many phosphate removers with the Chemipure Elite, Aluminum oxide and the pellets. Low phosphates are a good thing but zero is not. It also depends on if you just started all 3 together. If you drop the phosphates too quickly it can cause stress on the corals.

Also found this on aluminum oxide:

"have avoided using this type of phosphate remover because they use aluminum oxides to bind the phosphate. Aluminum oxide does remove phosphate, but isn't an ideal product for a reef tank."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm
 
I think you just had too many phosphate removers with the Chemipure Elite, Aluminum oxide and the pellets. Low phosphates are a good thing but zero is not. It also depends on if you just started all 3 together. If you drop the phosphates too quickly it can cause stress on the corals.

Also found this on aluminum oxide:

"have avoided using this type of phosphate remover because they use aluminum oxides to bind the phosphate. Aluminum oxide does remove phosphate, but isn't an ideal product for a reef tank."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm

I didn't start them all at once but, i do agree. It was too much. I preffer aluminum oxide because it does not affect ph like gfo does. The only thing I've found bad about it is it does leach after it is exausted. I usually only run it for about 10 days. This time I had seen some unwanted algae do to an overfeeding. So, I ran it longer. I think I'll go with water changes next time!!:smile:
 
test your alkalinity, I just read an article in Coral Magazine that stated you needed to make sure you run near NSW levels 7 dkh when you are running bio pellets, don't know the scientific reasoning behind it but many reefers stated that higher alk levels and they had issues with there SPS
 
test your alkalinity, I just read an article in Coral Magazine that stated you needed to make sure you run near NSW levels 7 dkh when you are running bio pellets, don't know the scientific reasoning behind it but many reefers stated that higher alk levels and they had issues with there SPS

Was that the current issue? I'm going to have to check that one out. I have been running EcoBack since June with alk around 9-10 with no issues. I just want to make sure I won't have any down the road.
 
I think we need to set-up a poll for all current bio-pellet users (of any brand) to see what others are keeping their alk at. I currently keep mine right around 9 and have been running ecobak for over 2 months now, fwiw.
 
You know I think it has more to do with a bacteria driven system and not just that they are pellets. I heard the same thing when I dosed vodka for over 2 years. "If you run your alk too high you will get alk burn". I'm not saying it doesn't or didn't happen just that I never had any issues and came across many people that never did either. dunno.
 
Interesting theory on the alk burn. I may let it drop to 7 and see what happens. I tested it last night and it was 2.9 meq/ltr or 8.12 dkh. I will watch to see how they do. Thanks for the comments.
 
Ok almost a month late and a total difference. Keeping alk at 7.5 dkh, using Brightwell Restor, and removed all PO4 removers. Polyps are out and extended nicely and the colors are amazing. So, I guess that confirms it: Run bio pellets - keep alk on the low side and don't use phosphate removers.

I'm also keeping mag at 1300 and calcium at 450. This also seems to be helping. Just started this part about a week ago.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new