PolypPal's Ultra-Custom 68g Acrylic AIO

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for my new 'big' tank, a custom 68g build I commissioned through John at Advanced Acrylics. It is roughly 60% larger in its dimensions than my other custom acrylic Zoa Garden tank. Tank is 30x26x20 and it holds approx 68g at water level.

Tank: Custom Advanced Acrylics AIO (30x26x20, Eurobraced, 6" rear reservoir, 1/2" thickness)
Stand: Custom Build 3030 T-Slot Aluminum
Lighting: Twin Kessil A160 w Spectral Controller
Filtration: Tunze Comline 9004, Bio-Pellet Reactor, Twin Carbon/GFO Reactor, Brightwell Xport
Waterflow: Tunze Turbelle DOC 6055, Multiple Sicce Syncras for returns/reactors
Dosing: Tune 3152, Bank 6 independent Kamoer X1 Dosing Pumps (some are in use on the nano around the corner)
Other: Advanced Acrylics 8g ATO and Dosing Reservoir
Aquascape: 30+lb Tropic Eden Tonga, 30lb Caribsea Tahitian Moon

Current Corals: (Chalice) WWC Avatar, WWC Cherry Garcia, WWC Stellaria, WWC Pink Boo-bz (Euphyllia) Dragon Soul Torch, Bicolor Frogspawn, Toxic Hammer, Gold Hammer (Goniopora) ARC Sunflower, ARC Green Glitter, TCK Rainbow, TCK Combustion, TSA Cotton Candy, WWC Cherry Red, various unnamed (Cyphastrea) RRC Polkaroo, ARC Skittlebomb, WWC Bizarro, ARC Zombie Eye, ARC Bling Bling (Favia) JF Fascination Favia, ARC Pacman, ARC Pineapple Express, WWC Yellow Submarine
Current Fishstock: Japanese Golden Hawkfish, Male Swallowtail Angel, Paired Picasso Clownfish

Stay tuned for updates!

Last edited:
OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thrilled with the quality of the tank, I had the rear section made especially wide to accommodate my Tunze 9004 or even a 9012 if I decide to go bigger in the future.

IMG_0186.jpeg IMG_0187.jpeg

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted to the 3030 T-Slot stand I built for this tank. It sits at 34" high, to be level with my desk. Underneath I mounted multiple reactors/dosing pumps and ATO/Dosing reservoirs. Note - my Zoa tank is right around the corner, its bio-pellet reactor and a couple of the dosing pumps for it are housed under this tank as well.

IMG_0183.jpeg 66372220861__659D140E-A1C0-47E7-AA7E-FE2751F9439F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the rockwork in the tank now, and using a preexisting Xport brick from my frag system, so cycle was pretty instantaneous. Gonna try to get my hands on another piece or two of the branch rock to provide some overhang/hiding area in the back for the fish. Otherwise, im happy with the aquascape.
IMG_0189.jpeg IMG_0205.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thrilled with the quality of the tank, I had the rear section made especially wide to accommodate my Tunze 9004 or even a 9012 if I decide to go bigger in the future.

IMG_0186.jpeg IMG_0187.jpeg
I like what you did here with the wider rear chambers. I wish my IM Lagoon 50 had another inch or two in the back. It would be a lot easier to work back there and have more space for a fuge or extra biological filtration. I’ve thought about what you did here, but on a 4’ peninsula tank and the rear chamber would be 8-10” wide. Basically a full sump in an AIO package.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you did here with the wider rear chambers. I wish my IM Lagoon 50 had another inch or two in the back. It would be a lot easier to work back there and have more space for a fuge or extra biological filtration. I’ve thought about what you did here, but on a 4’ peninsula tank and the rear chamber would be 8-10” wide. Basically a full sump in an AIO package.
Yeah I really hate below tank sumps, I find the AIO setups much quieter and simpler to work with.

I’m prob going to buy a place next year, if I do I’m gonna have a SPS peninsula built with like a 12” rear

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really hate below tank sumps, I find the AIO setups much quieter and simpler to work with.

I’m prob going to buy a place next year, if I do I’m gonna have a SPS peninsula built with like a 12” rear
I agree completely, I would much rather not be down on my hands and knees (I’m 6’4” 315) so a much larger AIO sump setup is very appealing. The only thing that’s stopping me from actually doing it is that we will be moving next year and a new larger tank will be in a living room where the aesthetics matter. I’ll be forced to get a traditional sump at that point because things like skimmers sticking up above the top of the tank will not fly. I will be watching for yours though, I bet it will be great.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted to the 3030 T-Slot stand I built for this tank. It sits at 34" high, to be level with my desk. Underneath I mounted multiple reactors/dosing pumps and ATO/Dosing reservoirs. Note - my Zoa tank is right around the corner, its bio-pellet reactor and a couple of the dosing pumps for it are housed under this tank as well.

IMG_0183.jpeg 66372220861__659D140E-A1C0-47E7-AA7E-FE2751F9439F.jpeg
This is amazing. Nice work.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some quick phone pics of recent additions to the tank:

Japanese Golden Hawkfish
Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish (Male)
Swissguard Basslet

With existing pair of Picassos, Im thinking I might leave it there. Lost both of my Tangs last week to a dosing pump malfunction :( and not sure if I want to get another Bristletooth for this display or not (feels pretty full with the Angel)

IMG_0262.jpeg
IMG_0266.jpeg
IMG_0268.jpeg
IMG_0272.jpeg
IMG_0275.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that Japanese Golden Hawkfish.
Thanks, I kinda just got him because I was able to get such a deal from the importer. But he looks much better in person and had a lot of personality - kinda like a hawkfish version of a borb anthias

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that stand you made!

What are Advanced Acrylics shipping times like? Do they keep a lot of tank inventory, or build to order? I'm not in a big hurry but I made an online purchase with them and just wondered how long it might take to get here.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that stand you made!

What are Advanced Acrylics shipping times like? Do they keep a lot of tank inventory, or build to order? I'm not in a big hurry but I made an online purchase with them and just wondered how long it might take to get here.
Thanks! They are mostly custom built tanks, I think they have very few in stock that aren't the frag tanks on BRS. My experience is about 1 1/2 months for med-larger projects.

Try communicating with them through the website 'contact us' form, I found it much more effective then trying to call the phone number.

Back