Pomacentrus allenI (allens damsel)

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has one in stock and the colour is striking, I've tried to search peoples experiences with them and I've not found much information,

What are these like temperament? Are they more mellow compared to the usual damsel fish?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allens damsels are one of the best reef damsels and there are few that could be considered more peaceful. They adapt to groups as well whereas some of the other good damsels are better as pairs. Springers damsels are another possible species but not quite as colourful.
The usual rules should be considered however, as in don't add them before more peaceful species and it's best to avoid more timid species as well. I have a group of 5 and they bicker a little with themselves (only to establish hierarchy and no physical damage is done) and the only time I see them bother other fish is when they are breeding but this again isn't anything more than moving them on.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice, as much as the fish was striking, I'm worried about upsetting the balance of the community in my tank. It's so peaceful there's not so much as any chasing or dominant Behaviour.

In my 150g when I sold my purple tang the coral beauty became the dominant fish in tank and would harass the other fish to the point they all seemed to be on edge.

I think I will pass on the damsel, intact I may even pass on getting another fish full stop while the harmony in my tank is so good.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice, as much as the fish was striking, I'm worried about upsetting the balance of the community in my tank. It's so peaceful there's not so much as any chasing or dominant Behaviour.

In my 150g when I sold my purple tang the coral beauty became the dominant fish in tank and would harass the other fish to the point they all seemed to be on edge.

I think I will pass on the damsel, intact I may even pass on getting another fish full stop while the harmony in my tank is so good.

This is what I have done. The few fish that I have get on so well that I don't want to add anything to change things. It might mean I have a lightly stocked tank but it the most stressed free and harmonious tank I've ever kept.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back