Poor Crosshatch

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received a male crosshatch via Fed Ex. He has not been right since the beginning. He is very pale. I was initially bothered by this due to stress of shipping. During acclimation he also stayed in his side. Again not too alarming. When released into tank he wasn’t able to swim. If he actively swam he could a bit but as soon as he relaxed he would float up and be controlled by the current. I could use thoughts!!!

my thought is that he wasn’t adequately decompressed when collected which either gave him a swim bladder issue or decompression sickness. I have put him in an acclimation box for protection. He is still breathing but I am not optimistic. Let me know what you all think! Thanks so much!

0442F9E2-1CE6-4D77-BF68-BF1795ACAB8A.jpeg
B5024276-0671-4300-BE9F-4D0427D0AD26.jpeg
19D13CF4-9169-4ED7-9F2C-5F7BAC4B6021.jpeg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sure looks like decompression issue !!! Do you notice bloated belly ?

Depends if you want to go this route !!!
Since it’s a large fish , it will be a bit easier to perform the swim bladder operation with a 30 gauge syringe right behind the pectoral fin . Also you would need some kind to anti bacterial at hand to prevent infection as well iodine to disinfect the area . As you insert the syringe and pull it slowly , you will suck out gases but not too much so that the fish cannot swim and loose it’s buoyancy . If you perform it , the fish will definitely act like as if dead after the operation . It should be fine and can take upto a week to start eating .

You can try and move him to a smaller 20 gallon tank of its own and observe and do the operation as the last resort .

I have done it once and it’s no fun doing it :(

Good luck !

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swim bladder disorder
Symptoms: Fish swims vertically with its tail up. Basically, the back half of the fish will seem more buoyant than the front half, and the fish will swim in a way to compensate for that. The fish may also stay near the surface of the water (or even float), unable to swim downwards. A protrusion (i.e. gas bubble) may be visible near the swim bladder area. In most cases, swim bladder disorders are caused by improper decompression of deep water species of fish.
Treatment: If a gas bubble is present, you can lance the air out using a 30 gauge insulin syringe. For swim bladder infections, the following are possible treatment options:
(1) Dose magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salt) at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.
(2) Give the affected fish a 30 minute Methylene Blue bath.
(3) Dose Metronidazole in conjunction with Neomycin. (You can food soak this combination as well.)

That is from my book, I hope it helps.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sure looks like decompression issue !!! Do you notice bloated belly ?

Depends if you want to go this route !!!
Since it’s a large fish , it will be a bit easier to perform the swim bladder operation with a 30 gauge syringe right behind the pectoral fin . Also you would need some kind to anti bacterial at hand to prevent infection as well iodine to disinfect the area . As you insert the syringe and pull it slowly , you will suck out gases but not too much so that the fish cannot swim and loose it’s buoyancy . If you perform it , the fish will definitely act like as if dead after the operation . It should be fine and can take upto a week to start eating .

You can try and move him to a smaller 20 gallon tank of its own and observe and do the operation as the last resort .

I have done it once and it’s no fun doing it :(

Good luck !
Yep bloated belly

4FE41521-DECC-450A-9DF8-7582562330F0.jpeg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep bloated belly

4FE41521-DECC-450A-9DF8-7582562330F0.jpeg

Judging from the video and bloated belly - seems quite the decompression issue :(

You can observe and see if he comes back on his own in a couple of days or else you might need to bite the bullet and do the operation :(

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wont do anything tonight. Will set up a hospital tank tomorrow. Make sure I have all supplies. I am a doctor so one would think I would have them... really need to check size needles I have on hand. If still live tomorrow evening will give it a shot.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wont do anything tonight. Will set up a hospital tank tomorrow. Make sure I have all supplies. I am a doctor so one would think I would have them... really need to check size needles I have on hand. If still live tomorrow evening will give it a shot.

Sounds like a great plan ! Since you are a doc you will know way better than a novice like me :)

If you have to anesthetize it , you can use MS - 222 if you can provide it

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re a deeper water species so might be somewhat prone to this. If I were you for deep water species I’d certainly inspect them at an LFS instead of ordering them online, though now I know it’s difficult due to the virus situation. Best of luck with yours! They’re a beautiful fish.

In the future if you are ever interested in species like certain Genicanthus genus angelfish, especially Bellus and Watanabei’s, or any deep water species really, it could be better to inspect them up close and personal.

Good luck!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally use NFG - nitrofuracin green although have just procured Enrofloxacin as it’s said to be the most effective antibiotic . Will have to test it ..

If using above I would go broad spectrum with kanamycin , metronidazole and nitrofurazone

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've done the air release on freshwater frontosa a few times. But for them it's to release air they swallow from surface feeding. Definitely not fun, but you're way more experienced with those things than I am. Every time the fish was fine after a bit.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clove oil works too. need to educate myself better on it

Yeah clove oil contains Eugenol as the active ingredient . Works great in 40mg per liter ..

If using MS -222 , it will drop pH and hence sodium bicarbonate needs to be used to bring up the pH .

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this one of the fish that the supplier had for a while due to difficulties shipping to you? I don’t know when it was collected but would it take this long to show an issue?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this one of the fish that the supplier had for a while due to difficulties shipping to you? I don’t know when it was collected but would it take this long to show an issue?
Well there are several things about this whole transaction that I am unsure of. I ordered the fish on 2/10. Per complaint policy they would hand select the fish and then put through a two week QT. Well at the end or March/early April when COVID caused delta cargo to put an embargo on animals he supposedly wasn’t still ready to ship. That already was a five to six week window to procure the fish and pit through 2 week QT. He stated and it is stated in his site that he prefers delta cargo but also uses Fed Ex. When I tried getting him to use Fed Ex after delta shut down he stated that Fed Ex was too rough. I told him I have never had problems with Fed Ex. He still said he would prefer to wait. Over last few months I tried getting him to use UPS and Southwest cargo as I new from local LFS owners they were still shipping animals. He refused. Then about two weeks ago I told him that enough was enough and please just ship Fed Ex. He agreed but said it would be about two weeks because he had to order large boxes.
Long story short I don’t know when he actually got the fish. He states he got it back in February but I am not sure.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back