Poor SPS Coloration, ICP Test & Pics Included

inh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I would try that again. I received my results within 10 days of sending my sample. I am curious to see how your salinity reads next time.

Test set in. This time I went directly to the post office to drop it off. Tracking shows it should arrive Friday. Will post results when I get them.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I want to follow along here. Are you guys satisfied with how the ATI ICP test compared to what you tested your salinity, alk and calc at with your home test kit?

inh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the ICP tests back. Either that mp40 was the source of my tin, or the ATI one was just way off.

upload_2017-9-25_14-39-48.png

inh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to follow along here. Are you guys satisfied with how the ATI ICP test compared to what you tested your salinity, alk and calc at with your home test kit?
I like the level of detail on the ATI test. However I question accuracy of it. I don't trust it completely, but I want to do it again and compare.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the level of detail on the ATI test. However I question accuracy of it. I don't trust it completely, but I want to do it again and compare.

Don't put any emphasis on their different reference values for real seawater samples. They do not make sense and should not be relied on.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added CupriSorb on Saturday, in a week I will send in my next ATI ICP test to see what my results are. I did however perform two 15 gallon water changes with Aquaforest Reef salt and a 10 gallon water change with Instant Ocean as I want to see if Aquaforest Reef salt is heavy in metals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By reference values you mean the various regions?

Yes. Even if the overall salinity varies, the ratios of the major elements (sulfate, calcium, chloride, magnesium, potassium etc.) do not change substantially between different parts of the open oceans. Since these ions move independently between the reference samples, I conclude there is likely some error associated with the measurements.

Additionally, they do not even say what the salinity was, and obviously it impacts every ion in any seawater sample.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes. Even if the overall salinity varies, the ratios of the major elements (sulfate, calcium, chloride, magnesium, potassium etc.) do not change substantially between different parts of the open oceans. Since these ions move independently between the reference samples, I conclude there is likely some error associated with the measurements.

Additionally, they do not even say what the salinity was, and obviously it impacts every ion in any seawater sample.

so pretty much you dont have that much confident as using ATI as an ICP test?

What would be your favorite? I was really leaning towards ATI for my ICP next month because they check your RO/DI water too which is nice

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so pretty much you dont have that much confident as using ATI as an ICP test?

What would be your favorite? I was really leaning towards ATI for my ICP next month because they check your RO/DI water too which is nice

I've not seen a check on the accuracy of it. The data I've seen published for Triton suggests it is reasonably accurate for the major ions (plus or minus a few percent).

inh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely. I would agree with that. Seeing other peoples results and the variants only reaffirm that.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent my ATI and MarinLab (Aquaforest) ICP samples in today. My last test comparing ATI to ICP Analysis had similar results. I prefer ATI because the ATI test results are in PPB versus PPM with ICP Analysis.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no improvement on the coloration of my acro's, two more peeled randomly.

After performing 55 gallons worth of water changes between August 21st and September 26th, below are my ICP values. I did add Seachem Cuprisorb three days prior to sending out the sample. As you can see, the Tin, Iron, Zinc and Aluminum values dropped. Possibly from the Cuprisorb or from performing five small water changes. The silicon values dropped as well after replacing my RO & DI filters, the previous test showed my make up water was 202.3 ug/L and after replacing the filters it dropped to 12.86 ug/L. JBNY brought up a good question on his thread on RC stating that as a tank matures in age that bacteria may play a role in the slow demise of a reef tank. Any thoughts on this?

120 Gallon Results
Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-05%2Bat%2B2.23.58%2BPM.png

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-05%2Bat%2B2.24.17%2BPM.png

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-05%2Bat%2B2.24.38%2BPM.png

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-05%2Bat%2B2.24.49%2BPM.png

RO Water Results
Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-05%2Bat%2B2.29.33%2BPM.png

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-05%2Bat%2B2.29.47%2BPM.png

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-05%2Bat%2B2.30.07%2BPM.png

I am still waiting for my MarinLab results.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered ATI icp. I did a triton test 2 months ago and came back with high Tin. Since then, I switched salt, went back to IO and ran cuprisorb twice. I was getting random tissue lost as well. But I think, things have improved since then. Curious to see where my Tin is at though.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered ATI icp. I did a triton test 2 months ago and came back with high Tin. Since then, I switched salt, went back to IO and ran cuprisorb twice. I was getting random tissue lost as well. But I think, things have improved since then. Curious to see where my Tin is at though.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, didn't you say in the first page that if you have a cut you get shocked with your hand in the aquarium? Doesn't that mean you have stray voltage in the water??? Yes it does. Maybe that is what's ******* off your corals.
https://www.thespruce.com/curing-stray-voltage-in-saltwater-aquarium-2924174

I have the same issue with my basement tank as well and the colors and growth are fine. I replaced the heaters and pumps and still have the issue so I gave up. I know it is a safety issue but I cannot figure out the issue. I even tried the titanium ground probe.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also switched back to Instant Ocean with the five small water changes and it helped bring down my trace elements.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my basement tank as well and the colors and growth are fine. I replaced the heaters and pumps and still have the issue so I gave up. I know it is a safety issue but I cannot figure out the issue. I even tried the titanium ground probe.
I wish you would follow the steps in the link and actually stop the stray voltage in your tank. You're telling me you have stray voltage in two tanks and that you've replaced every single piece of electrical item in the tank that could produce stray voltage? Things don't add up here. I don't understand that post by JB NY and how it related to your tank. Are you thinking now that it's just that you need to switch to Triton to get magic results he got?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back