Poor Trident..Just so much Disapointment...

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start off by saying I love Neptune, and what they do for the hobby and have a ton of their equipment. LiveAquaria.... not so much

Last week i decided it was time to buy myself a Trident, Looked around and pretty much everywhere is the same on pricing, I had about 100 bucks in store credit from LiveAquaria and said what the heck why not.. Yesterday FedEx dropped it off before i got home and the Wife received it all good.. i get home and the box is smashed to hell, every flap and cut has been tapped almost as it was pre owned or opened and to top it off it came in the original packaging! they couldn't even bother to pack it safe in another box, this is what chaps my behind the most...

I am beyond disappointed after spending this much for an item that's supposed to hold accuracy and such a delicate item, i did a quick test with my hanna and i was about .8 dkh off from what the trident said, but i wont know if its a false reading until i do the actual calibration, Is there anything that i should be worried about after having the box/trident possibly abused?

Is there anything i should do period? I was pretty excited to get/own a trident but now im not so sure i even want to trust this thing.

File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg File_002.jpeg File_003.jpeg File_004.jpeg File_000 (1).jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like shipper damage and taping is something fedex does when they batter packaging

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can get that, but its not even in a box that it should be in to begin with like what zoa was saying
I wonder if liveaquria drop shipped it and their partner handling vmi is just shady. I would call so they are aware

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blame the vendor who didn't have the common sense to put it in another box. The trident box isn't exactly shipping worthy.
I filed a "claim" and they said they would get back to me, when i called well within their operation hours it said they were closed lol

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're questioning the reliability of the Trident and Neptune because the shipper messed the box up and you haven't calibrated it yet? Am I missing something?

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're questioning the reliability of the Trident and Neptune because the shipper messed the box up and you haven't calibrated it yet? Am I missing something?
Get that thing calibrated, run a few auto tests and check with a Hanna or something similar and move on. If it is wildly inaccurate & not precise (giving same answer within tolerance) THEN file a claim. Its not as delicate as you may think. Its a bunch of vials, lights, and hoses in the back of the unit.

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going by what neptune states, which is letting it run for 2 days and it wasnt so much as a claim, more of an insurance incase they try to get one over on me

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thinking is more along these lines. The box damage is pretty disappointing but the Trident is packaged well enough I’d be surprised if it’s damaged. When I first got my Trident it was like a full dKH+ different from Red Sea. It was consistent though, and that’s really what’s important.

I didn’t do the calibration solution because the instructions and videos repeatedly warn it’s factory calibrated and will not likely change the results.

So I just used the calibration option to calibrate it to my Red Sea tests. That way things will be consistent across the tests I have available. Since what we’re going for is more stability than anything else, this is good enough for me! Also, have you waited 48 hours yet? The manual suggests before doing any calibration to wait 48 hours for the Trident to settle in.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA should send you a new one, and probably give you a label to return it so they can file a claim with fedex

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It worse than that, he knows as he stated "I love Neptune, and what they do for the hobby and have a ton of their equipment. LiveAquaria.... not so much" yet chose to disparage Neptune in the Title of the thread.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, that Hanna and trident are off by 0.8 does not necessarily mean the latter is damaged. There have been countless report by reefer of differences. No way to know whether one is accurate versus the other .... or whether they are both wrong.

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title is overly dramatic. Stop complaining on a public forum and address the seller or manufacturer directly first.
Might be, but when you save your hard earned money, and then receive something like that, and then ask questions as to what you should do, thats being dramatic?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait for conclusions after you actually callibrate it. My apex is consistently off from my Hannah around .3dkh. but that's also the accuracy range advertised for the Hannah so for all I know they could be exactly the same. As long as the alk in my neptune is consistent I don't mind to much about the actual value
Now, the packaging on that just looked awful, shameless.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 65 75.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back