Poor Trident..Just so much Disapointment...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title is overly dramatic. Stop complaining on a public forum and address the seller or manufacturer directly first.
Oh my goodness go watch Ophra.
IMG_9345.jpg

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worse than that, he knows as he stated "I love Neptune, and what they do for the hobby and have a ton of their equipment. LiveAquaria.... not so much" yet chose to disparage Neptune in the Title of the thread.

Title is overly dramatic. Stop complaining on a public forum and address the seller or manufacturer directly first.

I think this is a bit harsh, cut the guy some slack. I ordered mine from saltwatetaquarium a few weeks ago and it did come packed in a separate box to be fair.

I can understand being a little freaked out that after spending $600 the box is in tatters, the test results are suspect, and posting about it here. That said, I want to provide reassurance that there is very likely nothing wrong with it. Just calibrate it to your most reliable tests and everything will be fine. Mine arrived in perfect condition but I had to do the same thing. Or, don’t, and realize that no home test is scientifically perfect and just consider the average of all your tests together. Personally though, I’m fine if Trident just gives me the same results as my next best test for consistency.

In the future if you have concerns about package condition, refuse delivery (if possible), or reach out to the seller before you open the box.

Bottom line though: sounds like your Trident is fine, forget about the box damage.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would demand that LiveAquaria send you a replacemt for your broken one.

Vogg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of whether it's broken or not. There should be an extra box not only to help keep it safe during delivery, but to conceal the contents while its sitting at your door. Drives me nuts when I get home from work to see an original box sitting at my door screaming "I'm expensive! Please steal me!" It's also nice to have the original box in good condition if you ever want to sell it.

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold Live Aquaria responsible for the damage. When I ordered my Trident from Marine Depot and it was professionally packaged in an additional box for protection.

Regarding the Trident vs Hanna. I just went through this with Neptune and will provided my details to possibly save you & others angst.

I have a dominated SPS tank and I am diligent about keeping my Alk to my preferred level which is 8dkh. I have a Hanna along with the calibration fluid to make sure the Hanna is accurate. I used this prior to the Trident.
My Alk was slowly creeping up to 8.25 which for me was high... I grabbed my Hanna & tested with the calibration kit & it was spot on with the certified calibration kit. I then test my tank water with the Hanna and I get a reading of 9.2. I was in panic mode... I know 9.2 is not a huge deal to most but to me it is when I am trying to hold 8dkh.
I opened up a ticket with Neptune. Provided the details & photos of the test along with the calibration certificate from Hanna. They were very responsive & called me. After talking with them, I believe the Trident is a very accurate piece of equipment & I trust the Trident over the Hanna.

From my testing & conversation the Hanna will read .5 to 1 dkh difference vs your true DKH reading. The Neptune rep I discussed this with also performed the same test on his tank also utilizing the Hanna with a certification kit.
He nor I are saying that the Hanna isn't a quality test apparatus, it is & will help provide consistency. But it's not as precise as the Trident.
Even making sure you perform the Hanna test to the best of your ability it is going to read + - .5 according to their default measures.

The Trident is +- .05 & has a certified calibration solution that is sealed & spoils within 8 hours. Evaporation & ambient air will effect the Trident calibration solution along with the PH once opened effecting your readings after 8 hours.

One tip: Once you perform your Trident calibration use the excess solution and check your Hanna. It will help determine the correction factor vs your Trident for piece of mind moving forward. Based off this test I know my Hanna reads 1dkh higher than my Trident.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but hopefully it saves you & others questioning the Trident vs Hanna. Long story short, they are not going to read the same.

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of whether it's broken or not. There should be an extra box not only to help keep it safe during delivery, but to conceal the contents while its sitting at your door. Drives me nuts when I get home from work to see an original box sitting at my door screaming "I'm expensive! Please steal me!" It's also nice to have the original box in good condition if you ever want to sell it.

I would hold Live Aquaria responsible for the damage. When I ordered my Trident from Marine Depot and it was professionally packaged in an additional box for protection.

Regarding the Trident vs Hanna. I just went through this with Neptune and will provided my details to possibly save you & others angst.

I have a dominated SPS tank and I am diligent about keeping my Alk to my preferred level which is 8dkh. I have a Hanna along with the calibration fluid to make sure the Hanna is accurate. I used this prior to the Trident.
My Alk was slowly creeping up to 8.25 which for me was high... I grabbed my Hanna & tested with the calibration kit & it was spot on with the certified calibration kit. I then test my tank water with the Hanna and I get a reading of 9.2. I was in panic mode... I know 9.2 is not a huge deal to most but to me it is when I am trying to hold 8dkh.
I opened up a ticket with Neptune. Provided the details & photos of the test along with the calibration certificate from Hanna. They were very responsive & called me. After talking with them, I believe the Trident is a very accurate piece of equipment & I trust the Trident over the Hanna.

From my testing & conversation the Hanna will read .5 to 1 dkh difference vs your true DKH reading. The Neptune rep I discussed this with also performed the same test on his tank also utilizing the Hanna with a certification kit.
He nor I are saying that the Hanna isn't a quality test apparatus, it is & will help provide consistency. But it's not as precise as the Trident.
Even making sure you perform the Hanna test to the best of your ability it is going to read + - .5 according to their default measures.

The Trident is +- .05 & has a certified calibration solution that is sealed & spoils within 8 hours. Evaporation & ambient air will effect the Trident calibration solution along with the PH once opened effecting your readings after 8 hours.

One tip: Once you perform your Trident calibration use the excess solution and check your Hanna. It will help determine the correction factor vs your Trident for piece of mind moving forward. Based off this test I know my Hanna reads 1dkh higher than my Trident.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but hopefully it saves you & others questioning the Trident vs Hanna. Long story short, they are not going to read the same.
I feel that the hanna was definitely way over, considering i do know my tank and how things react and from testing. The trident is reading pretty steady today and hasnt shot any error codes or crazy numbers but i agree that as long as its somewhat stable and reading stable it should be fine, just hear alot of people trying to "test" the "tester" persay

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed quite a few companies ship in the original box for quite a few things now.

My wife bought a dyson vacuum, shipped in original box. Bought a nero 3, shipped in original box. And countless other things, all shipped in original box. Seems to be the new way to ship things to save on the extra box.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Hold live aquaria resposible for the damage"

Yea thats not really how it works.

The buyer is actually the one responsible for filing a dispute with the shipping company, as they 'approved' live aquaria to use fedex and ship it through them

Live aquaria dont have ta do ****.

However...

If youre nice you can get them to send a replacement and they will give you a shipping label to return it to them so they can file a dispute on your behalf.

Just kidding.
They should have packaged it way better. So give em hell :D the shipping company is always the one to bite the bullet in the end anyways. Dont let them get away with that crappy packaging job. They wouldnt ship a graphics card or cpu that way. Actually...

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regarding the hanna, their "calibration" kits only test the device, they don't test the vials you are using for the actual tests, the chemicals you would be using for the actual test, or the way you are doing the actual tests. If there's a problem and you get wrong test results due to any of those three things, the calibration thing will probably still say everything about the device is perfect, since the problem isn't with the device itself.

You'd need to test with a normal reference solution with known alkalinity and go through a normal test to check if there's a problem at any point of using the hanna, and then you can use their calibration vials to check if the problem is with the device or with those other 3 things.

In general, I would never go for the average between two tests, or wonder which one is more accurate, just use a proper reference and get the answer. Helpful in particular when a test gives you a number you don't like and you are torn whether to upend your tank because of it or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like LA customer service is going to make it right, got a shipping label, and a new trident will be sent out tomorrow, the woman said that it never should have happened and they took fault for it

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the replacement be like a lemon right out of the box...

:eek:

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has no one else seen the true Elephant in the room here...?!! Its obvious what happened to this package.
Copied from the OP:
”Yesterday FedEx dropped it off before i got home and the Wife received it all good.. ”

So the Trident arrived just fine, until his wife went bat ish crazy on the package when she found out how much of their hard earned money he spent on yet another tank item!!!

Im in the packaging industry, and this is the responsibility of the seller of the item in this case, as your agreement within the sale was with LA, not FedEx. It’s the responsibility of LA to refund/replace an item if applicable to their return process, and for LA to seek an insurance claim with FedEx; which I’d assume will fail any claim as the box without a master shipper in this case would not be supported within claims in most situations.

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the hanna, their "calibration" kits only test the device, they don't test the vials you are using for the actual tests, the chemicals you would be using for the actual test, or the way you are doing the actual tests. If there's a problem and you get wrong test results due to any of those three things, the calibration thing will probably still say everything about the device is perfect, since the problem isn't with the device itself.

You'd need to test with a normal reference solution with known alkalinity and go through a normal test to check if there's a problem at any point of using the hanna, and then you can use their calibration vials to check if the problem is with the device or with those other 3 things.

In general, I would never go for the average between two tests, or wonder which one is more accurate, just use a proper reference and get the answer. Helpful in particular when a test gives you a number you don't like and you are torn whether to upend your tank because of it or not.
Yes correct I agree with you. That's why I mentioned using the remaining Trident calibration solution as a reference to determine what your Hanna is stating vs the Trident.
I know my Hanna is calibrated correctly because I used the calibration kit.
When I used the Trident Calibration solution in my Hanna it read exactly 1DKH over what the Trident calibration solution was.
To your point, the Hanna has variables that can change the reading. Too much water, not enough reagent, bad reagent, etc...

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jser388 Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to work through this situation with you yesterday. Again, we sincerely apologize for the condition of your shipment of the Neptune Trident. A new one is being shipped today, with delivery to you tomorrow! Have a great day and please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always ticked me off when sellers dont box an item. I've had amazon deliver things to my front door when I'm at work and the whole world knows what it is... I live in a good neighborhood but you never know.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back