Popeye

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clowns has popeye by the looks of it. What is course of action. Hasnt seemed to have gotten any worse but has been constant for about two weeks now.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom Salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons should clear it up :)

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameter? Any other stress signs on the clown? Popeye tends to be an indicator of other problems in my experience. I would quickly check alk & no3 with a good test kit, if you have probes, make sure those are calibrated in order to check if anything is off balance that might induce stress. If everything checks out, inspect for any tiny marks around it’s fins & body, that can tell you if it’s an internal or external illness. Again, it helps to know water parameter & a little background on the fish i.e. feeding regiment, date of purchase, tank mates, even temps & light cycle. Good luck.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add this while currently medicating Prazi? Or copper?
Good Question.... I've only ever used it for a clown out of QT in my reeftank already.

Let's see if the #reefsquad knows the answer to this one :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, epsom salt is fine to use with other medications. If the fish is in QT for copper/prazi treatment anyway, might be helpful to add in an antibiotic. Kanaplex + furan-2 are my go to’s for use with copper, although the *best* antibiotic for eye infections is maracyn (erythromycin).

Have you checked the fish for flukes via freshwater dip? Or is the prazi a preventative? I only ask because flukes are often the root cause of these eye issues.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, epsom salt is fine to use with other medications. If the fish is in QT for copper/prazi treatment anyway, might be helpful to add in an antibiotic. Kanaplex + furan-2 are my go to’s for use with copper, although the *best* antibiotic for eye infections is maracyn (erythromycin).

Have you checked the fish for flukes via freshwater dip? Or is the prazi a preventative? I only ask because flukes are often the root cause of these eye issues.

I had done FW dips, as I had a fish come in with flukes. FW dipped every fish. My fish are on second round of prazi, and now They seem to have ich, which i plan on starting copper as soon as praziopro is done. ( you commented on my build, and I asked another question regarding substrate and prazi, you may have not noticed).
In Canada, we regulated some stupid items, yet you can blaze a joint wherever you want. Furan 2 and kanaplex are impossible to find as their regulated. I've ordered both already, and waiting to see if I actually will receive them in the next week or two.
Are there any alternatives if I cant get my hands on those two?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be more helpful to say which antibiotics ARE available in your area, rather than have me rattle off a whole list that are not lol

If you can get acriflavine, or methylene blue... you could give it an antiseptic bath and see if that helps, while you wait for the other meds to arrive.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be more helpful to say which antibiotics ARE available in your area, rather than have me rattle off a whole list that are not lol

If you can get acriflavine, or methylene blue... you could give it an antiseptic bath and see if that helps, while you wait for the other meds to arrive.

@JoshH @andrewkw do you guys know which I would have best access to for this?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back