Porcupine puffer

oxide30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everybody.
My favorite fish is the porcupine puffer!

I have a 200g aquarium.
I already have a porcupine puffer of 2 '', he has been there for 10 days. it is possible to add a second porcupine of 1-1 / 2 ''?
Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible, I have seen porcs form bonds, so at that size in that size tank you have a shot at a cute couple. With that said, fish are people too, meaning keep a close eye and be prepared if it doesnt work out.

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my pair (at least they act like a pair) for going on 3 years. It's been very entertaining watching them interact. They are rarely more than a foot or two from each other, the exception being at feeding time. One interesting thing that I've noticed with them is that they will change their color and pattern to signal one another. The change happens within a matter of seconds, and is usually followed by touching or a brief chase around the pool.
porcs2.JPG

Here's a pic of them doing a color and pattern change. They have other configurations as well, but this is the most common. After a few minutes, they'll go back to normal.
Porcs.JPG

Here is how they look 90% of the time.
I had an incident last year when one of my triggers turned to the dark side and chewed one of their tails down to the caudal peduncle (Trigger was rehomed of course). While the puffer that had it's tail bitten off laid at the bottom of the pool recovering, the other one would not leave it's side. It would constantly rest on top of or directly next to it's injured buddy. Not sure if it was for protection, or to take advantage of an opportunity to establish dominance, but it was very cute. For almost an entire month while the injured one was recovering, the other one wouldn't even leave to eat. I'm happy to say that the injured fish is now completely recovered, minus a bit of it's caudal fin.
porc.JPG

This one got a NLS pellet stuck on one of his spines, and swam around with it attached for a good 30 minutes.
pool2.JPG

Here's a pic of one of them doing it's speedboat impression across the pool thinking it's feeding time.
Anyway... it's definitely worth a shot trying to keep a pair together. Based on my experiences, I would give you pretty good odds given the size that you are considering adding them at (Mine were both around the 2" mark when I got them). You might want to try an acclimation box or tank divider at first to let them get used to one another.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

OP
OP
oxide30

oxide30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice
Yhanks you very much
Nice experience

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has to be the smallest porc I've seen! Hows he doing? Have you tried introducing the two yet?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on them?

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has to be the smallest porc I've seen! Hows he doing? Have you tried introducing the two yet?

That is super cute! Cheilinus, you're right near me in Canton, aren't you? That pond and porcs look very familiar.

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re adorable!!!! I want one so bad!
I saw this guy while snorkeling in Belize he stayed close and danced all around, seemed to be the happiest fish.
849641A1-9DCD-4541-9556-B6570A5C7A27.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back