Porcupine Puffer

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love Porcupine Puffers. What’s the minimum tank size for them.thanks much

F5AA4329-9007-4663-A440-FC8A3343A1C3.jpeg

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria recommends a minimum of 180 gallons as they do get to about a foot in length. You could however keep it in a smaller tank and then when it grows, house it in a larger tank if you would like to upgrade. If not, then I would make sure you have a person that can take care of it once it grows out your tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
125-150g

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria recommends a minimum of 180 gallons as they do get to about a foot in length. You could however keep it in a smaller tank and then when it grows, house it in a larger tank if you would like to upgrade. If not, then I would make sure you have a person that can take care of it once it grows out your tank.
Bit of a heartbreak because the only tank I have room for is a 36gal. Thanks much

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to keep him for a month or two but after that he will be quite cramped in that size tank.... Do you plan to upgrade?
Thanks much. I only have room for the tank I have. I’d feel selfish just keeping it for a few months. Any fish you go with that a 36gal. tank can house?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. 36-gallons, reef-safe. What fish are in the tank already, or are you starting at zero? And do you prefer lots of smaller fish, or two or three somewhat larger "pet" fish?

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. 36-gallons, reef-safe. What fish are in the tank already, or are you starting at zero? And do you prefer lots of smaller fish, or two or three somewhat larger "pet" fish?
I’m starting from scratch. No fish added yet.As far as my preference for fish size I’d have to see it first before I buy it. Although from the fish I’ve seen I’d have to say I like the larger ones best.Like the Porcupine Puffers. I absolutely love the look of them. Thanks much.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would love a Flame Hawk. It has no swim bladder, so it hops from the sand, to the rock, even up to the top of a powerhead. Amazing color— your friends probably will ask about it first, before any other fish. But It could make a meal of ornamental shrimp. It’s a bit pricey unless you have experience keeping fish alive.

A great beginner fish would be the Pink Skunk Clownfish.

Also here is a list:

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would love a Flame Hawk. It has no swim bladder, so it hops from the sand, to the rock, even up to the top of a powerhead. Amazing color— your friends probably will ask about it first, before any other fish. But It could make a meal of ornamental shrimp. It’s a bit pricey unless you have experience keeping fish alive.

A great beginner fish would be the Pink Skunk Clownfish.

Also here is a list:

Thanks so much for the link. I just got done researching and narrowed it down to 2 fish which I’m all excited about...below

1) Signal Goby
2) Spotted Mandarin

Can both of these species coexist in the same tank?
thanks again

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read where it says they aren’t aggressive towards other fish. Is this accurate? thanks again.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected this little 1/2" burfish (which is similar to a porcupine) in the sea.

In less than a year he grew to 5" and I gave him to the New York Aquarium.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected this little 1/2" burfish (which is similar to a porcupine) in the sea.

In less than a year he grew to 5" and I gave him to the New York Aquarium.

Hey, thanks much.
I really like the burfish in the photo you posted and I tried googling for other pics of the species and they look totally different. I’m totally crushing on the Signal Goby and Spotted Mandarin as well. Can the two reside in the same tank?thanks.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is a little bigger. Very cool fish

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back