Possible fish/ inverts/corals

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m looking for suggestions on what to stock my 30 gallon tall tank with, I have rock up the back of the tank and, I’m looking for some soft, bright corals ( that will pop under the black light) that will grow outwards instead of upwards. I’m also looking for interesting and bright fish to stock this tank with. I’m planning on doing the traditional clown pair but I’m looking for some other very brightly colored fish & inverts that would be compatable. Oddballs or non-common/ non-traditional are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleaner wrasse that I absolutely love, very pretty blue with black stripes on it. They eat parasites as well as ich! Clean fish and pick at algea. Lots of energy and cool personality
I wouldn’t go with a cleaner wrasse in a 30 gallon. They can get big and like to swim (weirdly, no funky) all over. Live Aquaria recommends a 90 gallon.

You can get a neon cleaner goby, they are recommended in 10 gallon tank.

Last edited:

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info
Sure ! That’s what we’re all here for. Not sure if you will see above, I added to the comment that a neon cleaner goby would work out (10 gallon recommended).

I love gobies for small tanks. My diamond watchman works all day sifting the sand.

For corals, I like the rock flower anemones and Florida ricordea.

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m looking for suggestions on what to stock my 30 gallon tall tank with, I have rock up the back of the tank and, I’m looking for some soft, bright corals ( that will pop under the black light) that will grow outwards instead of upwards. I’m also looking for interesting and bright fish to stock this tank with. I’m planning on doing the traditional clown pair but I’m looking for some other very brightly colored fish & inverts that would be compatable. Oddballs or non-common/ non-traditional are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
Court jester Goby is bright colored and loves to eat hair algae. Halloween Hermit crab is another that looks good under actinic lighting. Which is the spectrum I think you mean when you said black light.

Corals, I would definitely check out Zoanthid, Cloves, Duncan, Micromusa Lord, and mushrooms. Florida recordia is bright. Some Leathers are nice. Kenya tree is pretty. Toadstools are nice but can get really big. GSP is also great but can be plague like so put it on a rock by itself. Same for cloves.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again Tangs-a-lot

Corals I enjoy leptoseris. Can get some bright colored ones and they just encrust everything. Gsp always adds some color and movement as well. Grows fast so be careful where you put it. Cyphastrea is another encruster with little polyps all over it that adds some good colors, getter a bigger color wheel with them as well. And can't go wrong with zoas imo. All colors and different sized coralites that will make that tank glow.

An urchin might be a cool addition as well, they are a bit of a bulldozer so make sure you glue and epoxy your corals down but they'll clean all those nooks and crannys. Chromis add some color and could put a few in there. Shrimp are always a go to, peppermint are awesome work horses and take care of cleaning fish and aptaisia.

Hope I've helped a little! Big thing is to get stuff you like to look at and don't break the bank. Whenever I need some inspiration I go and look at worldwide corals and ora. They always have great stuff and give you an idea of what to look for at your lfs

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again Tangs-a-lot

Corals I enjoy leptoseris. Can get some bright colored ones and they just encrust everything. Gsp always adds some color and movement as well. Grows fast so be careful where you put it. Cyphastrea is another encruster with little polyps all over it that adds some good colors, getter a bigger color wheel with them as well. And can't go wrong with zoas imo. All colors and different sized coralites that will make that tank glow.

An urchin might be a cool addition as well, they are a bit of a bulldozer so make sure you glue and epoxy your corals down but they'll clean all those nooks and crannys. Chromis add some color and could put a few in there. Shrimp are always a go to, peppermint are awesome work horses and take care of cleaning fish and aptaisia.

Hope I've helped a little! Big thing is to get stuff you like to look at and don't break the bank. Whenever I need some inspiration I go and look at worldwide corals and ora. They always have great stuff and give you an idea of what to look for at your lfs
I agree, but SPS corals are very demanding on your parameters. For someone new I'd stick with Softie and LPS to start. Once they get into regular testing and maintenance then go for some SPS. Stylocoeniella is my favorite encrusting SPS. But can be super finicky if your levels are off.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.
You're not going to find a lot of coral that doesn't grow toward the light... At least not ones good for a beginner with a new tank.

OP
OP
prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleaner wrasse that I absolutely love, very pretty blue with black stripes on it. They eat parasites as well as ich! Clean fish and pick at algea. Lots of energy and cool personality
I saw those but I didn’t know if they’d be compatible with my tank size

OP
OP
prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure ! That’s what we’re all here for. Not sure if you will see above, I added to the comment that a neon cleaner goby would work out (10 gallon recommended).

I love gobies for small tanks. My diamond watchman works all day sifting the sand.

For corals, I like the rock flower anemones and Florida ricordea.
Florida Ricordea is one of my favorites! And I’m thinking a goby but not sure which one

OP
OP
prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Court jester Goby is bright colored and loves to eat hair algae. Halloween Hermit crab is another that looks good under actinic lighting. Which is the spectrum I think you mean when you said black light.

Corals, I would definitely check out Zoanthid, Cloves, Duncan, Micromusa Lord, and mushrooms. Florida recordia is bright. Some Leathers are nice. Kenya tree is pretty. Toadstools are nice but can get really big. GSP is also great but can be plague like so put it on a rock by itself. Same for cloves.
Every coral you said is one I was considering I especially like cloves, Florida ricordea, Duncan, and Kenyan tree. Overall I think I’m a big fan of the soft coral group and the the Halloween hermit crab I’m sure will be added at some point too as my daughter really wants me to add one

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.
I know you want bright but nothing beats a Pink Streaked Wrasse in the perfect set up - surrounded by bright corals, these guys glow. Here was my mature male before he passed - I currently have a pair in a 3’ long tank and the breeding male is beautiful.
IMG_0182.jpeg

As for coral, why not go for a Cabbage Leather? They’re vibrant greens and look great coming off of a rock.
Also, I agree with Ricordea mushrooms, in your space I’d go for a Florida over the Yuma but if you have a large area, Yuma is gorgeous. I have a 10”x9” rock covered in them (and they continue to climb down onto other rocks). These often fool people as they look like anemones.
This is an old photo of one of my larger polyps - it’s probably doubled in size now. Some of the larger polyps are around 6-8” in diameter for a size. In the other hand, my Floridas seem to be 4” at tops, most of them are probably closer to 2 inches though.
IMG_2507.jpeg

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.
Just a thought, what is the foot print of your 30 gallon tall tank? A pair of clowns can get pretty territorial and down right mean sometimes with tank mates that encroach on their space. You may want to consider a single clown.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.
Jaw fish are bright but dig a lot. last fish

Attachments

• IMG_9664.jpeg
    IMG_9664.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9672.jpeg
    IMG_9672.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 17

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, my Duncan is real nice, however their colors are a bit muted compared to my Alveopora and candy canes. Here’s my RFA’s, Florida ricordea & Christmas worm rock.
IMG_5232.jpeg
1DACEB7D-5D0E-4907-BDB1-DC044C7377C5.jpeg
BA6297D2-82AA-4ACA-9622-59C2404729C8.jpeg

Love the Blue Dot, it’s on the list. Make sure you have a lid.
That rock flower is pretty

OP
OP
prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you want bright but nothing beats a Pink Streaked Wrasse in the perfect set up - surrounded by bright corals, these guys glow. Here was my mature male before he passed - I currently have a pair in a 3’ long tank and the breeding male is beautiful.
IMG_0182.jpeg

As for coral, why not go for a Cabbage Leather? They’re vibrant greens and look great coming off of a rock.
Also, I agree with Ricordea mushrooms, in your space I’d go for a Florida over the Yuma but if you have a large area, Yuma is gorgeous. I have a 10”x9” rock covered in them (and they continue to climb down onto other rocks). These often fool people as they look like anemones.
This is an old photo of one of my larger polyps - it’s probably doubled in size now. Some of the larger polyps are around 6-8” in diameter for a size. In the other hand, my Floridas seem to be 4” at tops, most of them are probably closer to 2 inches though.
IMG_2507.jpeg
The wrasse looks amazing as well as the coral and yeah I’m think Florida might be a bit better

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back