Possible Ich?

zwschutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have had my Royal Gramma for almost a month and noticed this past week that it had starting getting fin/tail rot. My LFS recommended Furan-2 and said to just add it directly to the main DT. My Royal Gramma was responding well to the treatment the past few days until today which was the last day of medicine (day 4). He has not been as active and holed up in his cave and also noticed some white spots on his body and fins that were not there yesterday. Is this ich or possibly a side effect from the Furan-2? Below is a pic from yesterday and a few from today.

Yesterday:
upload_2019-3-12_18-50-59.png
Today:
upload_2019-3-12_18-52-26.png
upload_2019-3-12_18-53-35.png
upload_2019-3-12_18-54-11.png

Thanks,

Zach

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ich you’ll need to QT all the fish in your DT, treat with copper (preferably cheleted like copper power). Run your DT fallow for 76 days. Ideally keep the copper near 1.75ppm with a Hanna checker and I would definitely recommend the antibiotics for the tail. While mixing copper and ABX you’ll need heavy aeration and watch for a bacterial bloom. ABX should be run for 14 days and understand they are slow acting especially in copper as copper suppresses the immune system of fish.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ich, and a nasty bacterial infection. You'll need a QT to treat him effectively. I'd add kanaplex to your furan-2, and copper for the parasites. I'd also give him a 90-minute acriflavine bath en route to QT to help stall the infection.

OP
OP
zwschutz

zwschutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. I went out and got a QT tank last night and all set up. Dosed Dr Tims to speed things up and hoping to get the parameters good to go today to hopefully start moving over my fish. In the tank I also have a goby/pistol shrimp pair. Do I need to move the pistol shrimp to the QT as well?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. I went out and got a QT tank last night and all set up. Dosed Dr Tims to speed things up and hoping to get the parameters good to go today to hopefully start moving over my fish. In the tank I also have a goby/pistol shrimp pair. Do I need to move the pistol shrimp to the QT as well?

No the shrimp should stay in the DT

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 79 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back