Possible Nano Nem / QT Build?

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may or may not have been bit by the saltwater bug...

Thinking about setting up a Nano (10-15 Gal) tank of BTA and some clowns.
Would be using this as a QT tank for new frags (on a small rack) and keeping and propagating Nems.

In the long term is this possible? I would be able to set up the tank for under $100 because I have most the stuff already and it would be nice to have a QT tank.

Tank would consist of :
10-15 Gal Rimless Tank
Hipogero LED Light
Tidal 35 HOB Filter / Surface Skimmer
50w Heater
Previously cycled Live-rock
Previously cycled Live-sand
Jebao SOW-3 Wave Maker or equivalent (with guard of course)

How long do you think it would take for the tank to become stable enough for stocking nems? I know it would be jumpstarted with the live media, but I know how picky nems can be :rolleyes:

I know it won't be incredibly easy. Will be doing WC every week with no skimmer to start, and will add one if needed.

Thank you!

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems need absolute stability. The question is about if you are truly using the skip cycle method. I moved my 5 year old nano into a much larger tank and added fully cycled live rock (Which is the most important part. You have to know for sure how to identify fully cycled live rock) but you could possibly be able to add a nem in about 3 months if you test twice a week and see absolutely stable water. This goes against everything I would normally say about adding a nem after only about a year but there ARE ways to do it as long as you are following very careful rules pertaining to the skip cycle method and you dont seem to have any other "Outbreaks"

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems need absolute stability. The question is about if you are truly using the skip cycle method. I moved my 5 year old nano into a much larger tank and added fully cycled live rock (Which is the most important part. You have to know for sure how to identify fully cycled live rock) but you could possibly be able to add a nem in about 3 months if you test twice a week and see absolutely stable water. This goes against everything I would normally say about adding a nem after only about a year but there ARE ways to do it as long as you are following very careful rules pertaining to the skip cycle method and you dont seem to have any other "Outbreaks"
That is exactly what I am thinking. I will be paying very close attention to stability during first few months. Which parameters should I be paying MOST attention to? I know they love water clarity. My HOB will include cycled biomax, carbon and floss (possibly chemipure blue if that is a better option as well).

The rock is coming from my friends sump (which has been up for <5 years and my system about 1.5 years). The nems will start off housed in my 20 gal but separated from my display in a bin. I have the opportunity to buy RBTA's at 20 bucks a pop from a friend as well so I would like to scoop em up while I can.

Thanks for your help :)

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course no ammonia or nitrite but Temperature, Salinity, PH and alkalinity especially then nitrate and phosphate. If you have a little Nitra/Phos then that's good. You dont want it to spike or crash. Monitor calcium and magnesium as well but they aren't the most important for nems. your lighting will be the most important. I would check your par if you can rent / borrow a meter as well

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course no ammonia or nitrite but Temperature, Salinity, PH and alkalinity especially then nitrate and phosphate. If you have a little Nitra/Phos then that's good. You dont want it to spike or crash. Monitor calcium and magnesium as well but they aren't the most important for nems. your lighting will be the most important. I would check your par if you can rent / borrow a meter as well
Will do! I wasn't sure about alc or phos really with nems. Only have had them in my mixed reef so would like to get it dialed in for them.
Any recommendations for flow? Looking to get a more random flow with the HOB but I know that will be near impossible with a tiny wavemaker...

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! I wasn't sure about alc or phos really with nems. Only have had them in my mixed reef so would like to get it dialed in for them.
Any recommendations for flow? Looking to get a more random flow with the HOB but I know that will be near impossible with a tiny wavemaker...
Flow won't matter much as the nem will of course find its way to a place in your tank where it likes the flow. I have 2 mp40s in my tank and my sherman nem settled in the corner where there is the least flow. Each one is different and the important part is covering those pumps to protect them if they decide to go floating around. You want them to be lightly flowing but not blown harshly. Mine does enjoy the random flow even though it's in the corner my flow is variable.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back