Possible velvet

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clown has velvet. Issue is, I don’t have a quarantine tank. What would you guys recommend I do? Is there a quick type of QT tank I can setup? I have corals so I can't really dose directly in the tank they're in without killing them.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.MOV
    5.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clown has velvet. Issue is, I don’t have a quarantine tank. What would you guys recommend I do? Is there a quick type of QT tank I can setup? I have corals so I can't really dose directly in the tank they're in without killing them.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

From what I could see (it was a very short video) your clown has an advanced case of marine ich. It is unlikely that any of the "reef safe" medications would work fast enough to save it. Setting up a quarantine tank on the fly can be done, but it's a bit tricky.

Are there any other fish in the tank? They would need to be treated also.

You could possibly treat this fish in the Tank Transfer Method, and that uses buckets, not a tank, however, you will need to keep all fish out of your tank for 45+ days to allow the ich remaining in the tank to die out.

So - a treatment tank and Coppersafe is your best option. You'll need a small tank, some non-calcium hiding places, a heater, filter and some "bacteria in a bottle" like Dr. Tim's to control the ammonia levels. You should also have some ammonia remover on hand in case the bacteria can't keep up. You'll also need an ammonia and a copper test kit.

Jay

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

From what I could see (it was a very short video) your clown has an advanced case of marine ich. It is unlikely that any of the "reef safe" medications would work fast enough to save it. Setting up a quarantine tank on the fly can be done, but it's a bit tricky.

Are there any other fish in the tank? They would need to be treated also.

You could possibly treat this fish in the Tank Transfer Method, and that uses buckets, not a tank, however, you will need to keep all fish out of your tank for 45+ days to allow the ich remaining in the tank to die out.

So - a treatment tank and Coppersafe is your best option. You'll need a small tank, some non-calcium hiding places, a heater, filter and some "bacteria in a bottle" like Dr. Tim's to control the ammonia levels. You should also have some ammonia remover on hand in case the bacteria can't keep up. You'll also need an ammonia and a copper test kit.

Jay
Thanks Jay for your detailed yet quick response. I do have another clown, as well as a royal gamma. This has to have happened incredibly quickly as I didn't notice it a day or two ago. I have a spare heater, and HOB filter which I can throw a little bit of my filter media in from my DT to help with the ammonia mitigation. I'm going to hopefully try and a 10gal tank or something after work along with the coppersafe and Dr Tims/Frittz pro start. I have ammonia test kits but not copper so I'll look for that too.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay for your detailed yet quick response. I do have another clown, as well as a royal gamma. This has to have happened incredibly quickly as I didn't notice it a day or two ago. I have a spare heater, and HOB filter which I can throw a little bit of my filter media in from my DT to help with the ammonia mitigation. I'm going to hopefully try and a 10gal tank or something after work along with the coppersafe and Dr Tims/Frittz pro start. I have ammonia test kits but not copper so I'll look for that too.
It is possible to dose coppersafe without a test kit, but you need to know the exact volume you are dosing for. For example, a ten gallon tank might only hold 8.5 gallons.

I do have one concern with my diagnosis though - if it is ich, I’m surprised that the other clown and gramma don’t also have spots.
Jay

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, went and picked up a 10gal tank (wanted 20 but that’s all they had). Got some frittz and some hiding places. No copper test kits at my LFS so I’ll overnight one with the power of the internet. Got the tank setup with some filter media from my display tank. They didn’t have coppersafe so I got some copperpower on their recommendation.

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to dose coppersafe without a test kit, but you need to know the exact volume you are dosing for. For example, a ten gallon tank might only hold 8.5 gallons.

I do have one concern with my diagnosis though - if it is ich, I’m surprised that the other clown and gramma don’t also have spots.
Jay
I don't really notice any on the gamma, but on my traditional clown there are a few subtle spots. Nothing to the extent of the midnight clown though.

Seriously.. thank you. Praying this does the trick. Got the tank all setup and have to step out for a couple of hours. Gonna let the filter run its course and move them over when I get back so I can also make sure the water is up to temp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright, went and picked up a 10gal tank (wanted 20 but that’s all they had). Got some frittz and some hiding places. No copper test kits at my LFS so I’ll overnight one with the power of the internet. Got the tank setup with some filter media from my display tank. They didn’t have coppersafe so I got some copperpower on their recommendation.
Did you try best fish ? If so, fish factory and aquatics unlimited Off Hwy 45 and Oklahoma

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try best fish ? If so, fish factory and aquatics unlimited Off Hwy 45 and Oklahoma
I did not - I actually regularly visit Aquatics Unlimited, which is where I got everything. I'll check other stores if they're open after an event I signed up for. I've gotten most of my fish related hobby things from there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back