Post tips on how to keep Moorish Idols

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most people, I have had no luck. Before I make one last try...I still have a female presently, I have a chance to get one that is super nice with the perfect extra long streamer. I'm determined to give it one last chance with a pair. Can anyone recommend any tips? What do you use to feed them? How many times? I believe I'm just doing something wrong or leaving out something.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackworms, nori, mixed frozen foods soaked in garlic and Selcon.

I bought mine from divers den. He ate in minutes and hasn't stopped since. Fat little turd.

It's all about the specimen and I am very very lucky

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from the Baench Marine Atlas. Maybe this info can help you a little.
Screenshot_2015-07-24-17-46-00.png

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two that ate from day one. Then all of a sudden they stopped and we're dead by the next day.

I've seen the photos of your fish though - they were very thin. Spine was showing and they were noticeably skinny. Mine came fat and ate from day one. Perhaps that's the reason for my success thus far.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria.com probably only sells healthy, well-eating specimens. You should buy from them if you want to try again. A suggestion anyway.

Honestly live aquaria just sources from quality marine, which several other vendors do as well. This is no guarantee at all, as a result.

Divers den are conditioned and eating and you have better odds. Even still, my guess is that you have a 75-90% chance of failure within the first year.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I attribute much of my success to the fact that mine eats tons of nori. I feed 3 half sheets, (what most fish nori is sold as) or more of mixed nori EVERY day. He is the first to start picking at it. The Angels eat it too but IMO of your idol doesn't eat nori prior to purchase you have virtually no chance. I feed mine 2-5 times per day small meals of mixed frozen foods he chows down but he grazes on Nori to fatten him up.

My guess is that nori is a huge differentiator, in short.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the photos of your fish though - they were very thin. Spine was showing and they were noticeably skinny. Mine came fat and ate from day one. Perhaps that's the reason for my success thus far.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too, but the first one had, was super fat.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I attribute much of my success to the fact that mine eats tons of nori. I feed 3 half sheets, (what most fish nori is sold as) or more of mixed nori EVERY day. He is the first to start picking at it. The Angels eat it too but IMO of your idol doesn't eat nori prior to purchase you have virtually no chance. I feed mine 2-5 times per day small meals of mixed frozen foods he chows down but he grazes on Nori to fatten him up.

My guess is that nori is a huge differentiator, in short.

I just lost the one this morning. He was eating nori, the thing is, he ate in the afternoon, then I noticed he was hiding behind a rock. I fed again at night and left nori out, he wasn't interested. I knew he was a goner at that point.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's no guarantee just because they're fat and eating. They're notorious for dropping dead seemingly for no reason.

What's amazing is that mine is going through his second round of copper without issue as well. I would expect more trouble from a fragile fish. Levels are high too for cupramine, roughly .7 ppm at it the highest.

7 angels are also seemingly unaffected.

Last edited:

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, this is just my opinion, and it doesn't really matter but I think Moorish idols should just left in the ocean. It seems like their almost impossible to keep except for some advanced aquarist or some people who get lucky it seems.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, this is just my opinion, and it doesn't really matter but I think Moorish idols should just left in the ocean. It seems like their almost impossible to keep except for some advanced aquarist or some people who get lucky it seems.
I agree.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should be, but if passionate aquarists dont buy them, someone else will anyway.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If they don't sell, they'll stop collecting them. This business model is a "pull" model. Customers pull what they want. Supply and demand.

Not saying you should stop, but it is my opinion that 99/100 this fish should be left in the ocean.

Doesn't mean it's the right opinion. I bought one, I'm no better lol

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right, but if in a dream world people would just see how hard they are to keep, and demand would go down. Then price would go down,they would stop importing them.
But people are visual, they only see what they want. Idk....

Back