Post your DIY additives here!

M5 Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to boost my fluoride levels with this recipe and wondering if anyone sees a problem with the info below?

Sodium Fluoride – NaF is 45% fluoride by weight?

Dissolve 10g of NaF in 1 L of RO/DI. That solution contains 4.5 g/L of fluoride or 4.5 mg/ml.

Adding 10 mL (45mg) to 300 L (80 gallons) of tank water will boost aquarium Fluoride levels by 0.15 mg/l
Following for the fluoride mix hopefully get a reply

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi randy, infusion by triton https://www.triton-reagents.de/en/corechem/infusion It is used to complement the traces, since its mean of the reactor is somewhat similar to limestone.
It’s trace elements that feed a fuge.

It’s made to support algae growth without using Triton’s core 7 dosing products.

That’s why they mention using it with a cal reactor to support a fuge

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) from Loudwolf. Is it OK for Molybdenum dosing? What would be the recipe? Thank you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) from Loudwolf. Is it OK for Molybdenum dosing? What would be the recipe? Thank you.

NO. It is not soluble in water. Look for a molybdate salt, such as sodium molybdate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sodium orthovanadate mix up yellow ? The triton vanadium I have right now is blue

Color is tricky because the color of many materials comes from impurities, but orthovanadate is likely yellowish and VO++ solutions are typically blue.

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color is tricky because the color of many materials comes from impurities, but orthovanadate is likely yellowish and VO++ solutions are typically blue.
I haven’t seen a diy recipe on a blue solution do you know what form triton uses I’d like to keep using the same form as it gets taken up and seems to work unless it’s just oxidizing away not sure . Is “VO++” found in seawater ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen a diy recipe on a blue solution do you know what form triton uses I’d like to keep using the same form as it gets taken up and seems to work unless it’s just oxidizing away not sure . Is “VO++” found in seawater ?

Triton says it is vanadium (V). That is vanadium in the +5 oxidation state, like VO2+. It should be yellowish, unless there is more to it that they are not indicating, such as an organic chelator.

Wikipedia has a picture of the colors as vanadium (V) is reduced to other oxidation states:

As to the form in seawater:

"In seawater, vanadium ions are in the +5 (V V ) oxidation state as HVO 4 2-or as H 2 VO 4-ions, at very low (35nM) concentrations."

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton says it is vanadium (V). That is vanadium in the +5 oxidation state, like VO2+. It should be yellowish, unless there is more to it that they are not indicating, such as an organic chelator.

Wikipedia has a picture of the colors as vanadium (V) is reduced to other oxidation states:

"In seawater, vanadium ions are in the +5 (V V ) oxidation state as HVO 4 2-or as H 2 VO 4-ions, at very low (35nM) concentrations."

I’m looking to do the same thing that triton uses

I’m looking to use the same that triton uses but saw that people recommend sodium orthovanadate now I realize that’s oxidation states is 4 so what chemical compound would I be looking for as vanadium in the “+5 (v v ) oxidation state “ would I be better off just buying the 100 ml bottle for 30$ from triton about every 6 months ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to use the same that triton uses but saw that people recommend sodium orthovanadate now I realize that’s oxidation states is 4 so what chemical compound would I be looking for as vanadium in the “+5 (v v ) oxidation state “ would I be better off just buying the 100 ml bottle for 30$ from triton about every 6 months ?

Why try to match the triton oxidation state? You may not adequately know what exactly is in it, and they may pick it for reasons other than being the most natural form (such as cost).

If I were to make a vanadium (V) solution, I'd probably start with vanadium pentoxide (V2O5 and dissolve it in water).

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me out determine the recipe using those 100mcg molybdenum glycinate chelate pills or capsules. Thanks I’m advance!
Please let me know if my assumptions are right:

If my system is 225 liters and my ICP states that my system is 8ug/l low in Molybdenum. If each pill of Molybdenum Glycinate Chelate is 100mcg (is that 100mcg Molybdenum?), then I need 18 pills?

8ug/l x 225l = 1,800ug.
1,800ug / 100ug = 18 pills.

I'm also assuming mcg = ug.

ATI recommended splitting it in two days (obviously using their molybdenum supplement).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know if my assumptions are right:

If my system is 225 liters and my ICP states that my system is 8ug/l low in Molybdenum. If each pill of Molybdenum Glycinate Chelate is 100mcg (is that 100mcg Molybdenum?), then I need 18 pills?

8ug/l x 225l = 1,800ug.
1,800ug / 100ug = 18 pills.

I'm also assuming mcg = ug.

ATI recommended splitting it in two days (obviously using their molybdenum supplement).

Yes, that looks correct.

I'd try to open the capsule and use just the contents, if possible. No sense it getting extra capsule material since that's quite a few. There will still be some insoluble stuff inside the capsule, so don't worry about it. No need to dose it. Just pour the capsule contents in some RO/DI swirl for a bit to mix well, and let the insoluble material settle out.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that looks correct.

I'd try to open the capsule and use just the contents, if possible. No sense it getting extra capsule material since that's quite a few. There will still be some insoluble stuff inside the capsule, so don't worry about it. No need to dose it. Just pour the capsule contents in some RO/DI swirl for a bit to mix well, and let the insoluble material settle out.
Thanks Randy.

I wanted to validate because I was making a few assumptions and also 18 capsules seemed like a lot to me. Thanks again.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that looks correct.

It seems that the capsules contain some Silica. Do you think it could be significant?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the capsules contain some Silica. Do you think it could be significant?

Likely no issue. What exactly does it say?

This is not the Kirkman one on the page you linked? It doesn't show silica.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely no issue. What exactly does it say?

This is not the Kirkman one on the page you linked? It doesn't show silica.
Good point. I was now looking at another product that is 500mcg.

Seeking Health Molybdenum 500 – Molybdenum Glycinate Chelate – Supports Metabolism and Iron Utilization* - Metabolism Supplement - 90 Vegetarian Capsules

Ingredients :

Molybdenum (as TRAACS® molybdenum glycinate chelate), Microcrystalline cellulose, HPMC (capsule), L-leucine, and silica.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back