Potential emergency - alkalinity

cohojoe412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well instead of a build thread I get to do a panic as my first post…

I’m new to the hobby and recently discovered my Alk was low at ~7.0 dkh so went to LFS and they recommended seachem buffer. So went home and did some terrible math reading units incorrectly.

I have now spiked the alk to 11.4 then realized my mistake. I did one water change to get down to 10.4, currently mixing more water as of course my storage was low. I’m hoping next change gets me to 9.4 then one more to 8.4.

Is this going to impact my fish and the few corals I have? Is there anything else I can do to low the alk to reduce the spike duration? Am I over worrying?

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people shoot for 7.5-9 as a general number. Everyone will tell you stability is more important than an actually number value assuming it’s in range. What are your calcium and mag at?

OP
OP
C

cohojoe412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have kits for those yet, I forgot them when I picked up others. They’re on the list for tomorrow.
Ph is 8.4

OP
OP
C

cohojoe412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people shoot for 7.5-9 as a general number. Everyone will tell you stability is more important than an actually number value assuming it’s in range. What are your calcium and mag at?
I don’t have kits for those yet, I forgot them when I picked up others. They’re on the list for tomorrow.
Ph is 8.4

Quote Reply

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well instead of a build thread I get to do a panic as my first post…

I’m new to the hobby and recently discovered my Alk was low at ~7.0 dkh so went to LFS and they recommended seachem buffer. So went home and did some terrible math reading units incorrectly.

I have now spiked the alk to 11.4 then realized my mistake. I did one water change to get down to 10.4, currently mixing more water as of course my storage was low. I’m hoping next change gets me to 9.4 then one more to 8.4.

Is this going to impact my fish and the few corals I have? Is there anything else I can do to low the alk to reduce the spike duration? Am I over worrying?

First, Alk of around 7 is not low, it is close to normal seawater which coral grow in.

Unless you have seen a lot of precipitation and cloudiness, just leave it be and it will drop back on it's own.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back