Potter Angelfish Foods

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten in my potters angel today and have heard they are finicky eaters. I’ve mysis in the tank and also San Francisco emerald entre but no luck yet. It’s only day 1 so not too worried yet but given their rep, I want to stock up on things that have been known to work. Any recommendations? Also have nori out but not sure if it likes the clip. Can try attaching it to a rock.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully yours is actively exploring and picking on rockwork as getting a healthy, hungry one seems to be half the battle!

Just keep experimenting with food types and forms. With mine, I tried just about everything from mysis, mass stick to fish eggs and it took mine about 2 weeks to recognize food in the water column.

Live blackworms really got him started, then he quickly transitioned to frozen and now eats everything. Seems like everything comes together once they make the connection.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully yours is actively exploring and picking on rockwork as getting a healthy, hungry one seems to be half the battle!

Just keep experimenting with food types and forms. With mine, I tried just about everything from mysis, mass stick to fish eggs and it took mine about 2 weeks to recognize food in the water column.

Live blackworms really got him started, then he quickly transitioned to frozen and now eats everything. Seems like everything comes together once they make the connection.
Yea he’s exploring a bit and looks pretty healthy. It was from divers den so should have been eating at some point. Not really sure where to get live black worms but I did order a couple more types of flakes, pellets, and garlic.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it say it was eating on the post? Because some specify they are eating and others do not. I don’t believe they hold all fish to make sure they are eating because they mailed me some scrawny ones before.

Mine didn’t eat for a month but had plenty of live rock to graze. It one day just decided to eat frozen. Eats everything offered now.

be sure to try LRS

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it say it was eating on the post? Because some specify they are eating and others do not. I don’t believe they hold all fish to make sure they are eating because they mailed me some scrawny ones before.

Mine didn’t eat for a month but had plenty of live rock to graze. It one day just decided to eat frozen. Eats everything offered now.

be sure to try LRS

I don’t think it said it specifically but per reading their standard procedures for divers den fish, it appears that they say they are eating. See excerpt below. Could be misunderstanding but this is what I saw.

“Once they start feeding, all new fish that enter our facility, and can be successfully weaned onto prepared foods, are de-wormed, via frozen food soaked in praziquantel, metronidazole, or piperazine.”

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EasternAquatics.com sells and ships live Blackworms. However it would be immensely cheaper if you have an LFS that sells them.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he’s picking at rocks which is good but ignores the nori clip. I’ve only had success of one of my algae eaters eating off of it (and that’s because I got it from a local reefer). What’s the approach to get them eating this? Rock with nori rubber banded to it?

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fish that seemed NOT to be eating nori off a clip actually be eating it when the tank was dark.. Also, All the finicky non eating fish I've had have begun eating by gobbleing down black worms no matter the size of the fish.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fish that seemed NOT to be eating nori off a clip actually be eating it when the tank was dark.. Also, All the finicky non eating fish I've had have begun eating by gobbleing down black worms no matter the size of the fish.
I’ll have to call around my LFS. I’m 0/3 right now based in San Diego.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes after all of the LRS frozen food and I feed once a day a mix of fresh shellfish chopped small with some type of white fish

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn’t eat the live black worms but was eating at some bite of mysis. Still picky but am trying to soak it in garlic.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back