Powder blue tang

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue tang, reef safe?
How is it with other tangs? Ideally regal tang and yellow tang?
I really want to get one but considering if it would be good with my livestock.
So want to make sure corals are safe and that it would be happy in my tank.
What are people's opinions/experiences? As I have heard fee different opinions.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What kind of tank will this PB tang be diving into size wise? Never heard of a PB or any other of the more popular tangs bothering coral so I think your safe there.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of tank will this PB tang be diving into size wise?
Also, what fish are already in the tank? I don''t think that adding ANY tang into a tank that is housing other ESTABLISHED tangs is a good idea. Even when introduced at the same time, there can be issues with aggression and Powder Blue's are one of the more aggressive species. Established Yellow tangs can be serious bullies as well.

Aggression aside, PBT are reef safe and make a beautiful and active addition to a large reef.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Powder Blue to my tank which currently has a Purple Tang. The Purple tang immediately puffed out all his fins... acted like he was the big man on campus. Not outright aggression, but he definitely let the PB know who was boss.

My PB has not been eating any nori offered, but I'm not sure if that's due to intimidation from the Purple or what, but he spends a lot of time grazing. Only been one week, but so far they seem to be making it work.

I check on them multiple times during the day, so I would say no matter what, keep close attention as they get used to each other.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally reef safe.

They are very active, and some specimens can be quite aggressive with other fish, especially tangs. The situation can be improved with a large tang with lots of swimming room, high flow, and lots of food.

Also, QT is a must.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to encounter any kind of tang that wasn't reef safe. Corals and inverts are fine. Other tangs, on the other hand...this is much less predictable. It will depend a lot on how large your tank is, as well as which other tangs you wish to keep. Powder Blues are in the Acanthurus group, which includes all powder types (brown, blue, gold rim, Achilles, etc), Orange Shoulder, Chocolate (mimic). No tangs are generally recommended for mixing with other tangs, especially with other tangs with similarly shaped bodies.

That being said, I have 5 tangs in a 300 gallon system...a yellow, a Desjardini (both Zebrasoma family), an Orange Shoulder, a half black mimic (both Acanthurus), and a blue (Dory). All coexist pretty well. Lots of swimming room, lots of rocks, and the smaller "guys" were added first. Powder Blues are notorious for aggression, especially after they've grown...so if you decide to go with one, it should be added to the system last.

Also, all tangs have thinner slime coats than many other fish species, and are much more susceptible to parasitic infections (ich), powder types being the most susceptible of all. Make sure to quarantine any new additions to give them the best chance of success. And keep them well fed...less hunger often leads to less competition, which can help with aggression.

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what fish are already in the tank? I don''t think that adding ANY tang into a tank that is housing other ESTABLISHED tangs is a good idea. Even when introduced at the same time, there can be issues with aggression and Powder Blue's are one of the more aggressive species. Established Yellow tangs can be serious bullies as well.

Aggression aside, PBT are reef safe and make a beautiful and active addition to a large reef.
The only tang that is already in the tank is Regal Tang which is still very small.
If I decide to add the yellow tang and PBT which one would be better to be added first?

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to encounter any kind of tang that wasn't reef safe. Corals and inverts are fine. Other tangs, on the other hand...this is much less predictable. It will depend a lot on how large your tank is, as well as which other tangs you wish to keep. Powder Blues are in the Acanthurus group, which includes all powder types (brown, blue, gold rim, Achilles, etc), Orange Shoulder, Chocolate (mimic). No tangs are generally recommended for mixing with other tangs, especially with other tangs with similarly shaped bodies.

That being said, I have 5 tangs in a 300 gallon system...a yellow, a Desjardini (both Zebrasoma family), an Orange Shoulder, a half black mimic (both Acanthurus), and a blue (Dory). All coexist pretty well. Lots of swimming room, lots of rocks, and the smaller "guys" were added first. Powder Blues are notorious for aggression, especially after they've grown...so if you decide to go with one, it should be added to the system last.

Also, all tangs have thinner slime coats than many other fish species, and are much more susceptible to parasitic infections (ich), powder types being the most susceptible of all. Make sure to quarantine any new additions to give them the best chance of success. And keep them well fed...less hunger often leads to less competition, which can help with aggression.
Thanks for the advice

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pretty small 2.5" - 3" PBT to my 300g that already has a Blue Hippo(5"), Blonde Naso(6.5"), and Fowleri(5.5") .... the PBT became the bully pretty much instantly. Flared right away at the blue hippo. He doesn't bother the Fowleri as much and leaves the Blonde Naso alone probably due to his size. PBTs are beautiful but quite aggressive.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PB will end up ruling that tank, maybe not as juvie, but when Acanthurus tangs hit sexual maturity that's when their claws (or in this case shanks) come out. Coral wise PBs are completely safe, paraacanthurus heptus (regal) are usually not as aggressive with other tangs as PB/Acanthurus tangs are BUT Regals are the only tangs that I have seen eat zoanthids both in person and hearing/reading of other regal/hippo owners having the same issue, not common place, but it happens.

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the tank size?
It is currently 100g. I will be upgrading to a bigger one pretty soon around 200g. So probably I will wait before adding the PBT or yellow tang if I decide to do so.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back