Power outage here in CA. Police ask me to turn off my generator!

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share what just happen to me now. Due to the CA wild fire PG&E turned off our power as 3:30pm today. My back up generator is on rightaway until I got a police visit at around 8pm. Asked me to turn my power generator off. Reason was it's too loud which I understood. However, when he laughed at me when he found out that I was using it to keep a fish tank running. I was upset. With not choice, I now will have to watch my tank slowly crush...…....

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share what just happen to me now. Due to the CA wild fire PG&E turned off our power as 3:30pm today. My back up generator is on rightaway until I got a police visit at around 8pm. Asked me to turn my power generator off. Reason was it's too loud which I understood. However, when he laughed at me when he found out that I was using it to keep a fish tank running. I was upset. With not choice, I now will have to watch my tank slowly crush...…....

I just went thru an 8+ hour power outage. Do you have an aerator of any kind you can put in the tank? They sell them at any sporting goods store that are used in minnow buckets. You can also run a power inverter from your running car if needed.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id turn it back on... and I wouldnt have took that call. Generator is a Generator. is the city going to pay for all your loss food and fish? negative

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a time like this its understandable to have a generator running if PGE is shutting off the power. we cant have a generator for like 3 days...what a joke.. like i said. im not taking that call in times like this.. .if you were running it when we have power. and your trying to just lower your bill. ok id have you turn it down ... but this emergency..... call the PD.. talk to SGT. or watch commander and tell them. Fridge with food.. baby milk and a aquarium with thousands of livestock. i bet they ok it.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have laughed and shut the door when he asked me to shut it off.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do u have a commerical or a job site generator or the residential inverter quiet honda types?... again in this situation id say your fine... but after this blows over. if you dont, might look at saving for next fire season and get the honday eu3000is or eu7000is like im getting.

what a joke. this bothers me

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like when PGE shut power and that elder died because his oxygen. milk for infant is in fridge. they wont pay for rotten meat or fridge... id turn it on.

he might be a new boot. id call talk to who is in charge.. explain. expecially in a declared emergency.... makes no sense. this is what generators are for.... neighbor is upset because they dont have one lol

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the condo with neighbors. Also found out that there was a fire going out here in Milpitas. So far my mp40s are on backup battery since 8:30pm. Not sure when the power will be back on since the power were down too.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. What a great neighbor. I would run it as needed. Try to compromise a bit I guess.

I would also call the pd and talk to them about a compromise.

Or call some friends with harleys and buy cases of beer. Have them rev them in driveway and ride up and down the road.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
condo thats rough with a gene... but still ill take the heat to save thousands.and explain to my neighbors later.

I dont know anyone in milpitas area. sorry I cant help.
atleast you have battery backups... just watch temp too.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't expect to run a generator all night living in a condo. Sorry but there is no way that is ever going to work. How would you like it if your neighbors blasted their music next door all night? Battery backup is your best bet.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also now that you know your neighbors arent understanding in this situation. a non fuel generator might be the way to go for the current living situation. Ive looked at them. at 9am... run the generator.... charge the batteries and run what your doing now after 9pm...

as soon as the clock hits 9am. id fire it up.

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always built a sound proof box just in case if anything like this happens in future.

OP
OP
Leicobra

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can turn it back on in the morning again. Right now my only fear is the livestock in the tank. The tank is loaded with sps colonies. If anyone live in the area and willing to help. Please let me know. Much thanks!

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in a condo then you are really inconveniencing the neighbors. Your best bet is talk to your neighbors and explain the situation. This is only practical if we are talking about a few people. If there are hundreds within ear shot of your generator then the nights will be long and full of terror.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in a state of emergency put it on. I don’t know what police officer that has common sense would enforce a summons on noise during a power outage. Put it on if they come back you need power for medical conditions. Take the summons and see judge in court. That’s BS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back