Power outage planning

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the bad weather has been making me want to get some power outage protection because I don't have a generator, I don't have corals but would I am most likely going to in the upcoming months and want to be ready. So if you think I should get a battery back up should it need to run just the powerhead if it is oxygenating the tank or the return pump too? (Also I was thinking about getting a nero 3 when the time comes but I'm not sure yet and I am open to suggestions) And having them run for at least 10 hors would be good so I don't have to worry about it overnight. Also if the battery back up is over kill I know I can get a battery operated airstone? how long will corals be ok without any flow and could I provide it myself? Final question is if the coral can go a few days without any flow, can I get a cheaper battery back up that can be charged with a car or solar, run it over night, charge it in the morning then run the airstone for oxygen? until night come again?
Sorry for the long questions and thanks for all the help

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bite the bullet and get a whole home generator. Usually for 6-800$ you can take care of everything, not just the tank.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homelite maybe? Old work generator so the paint is gone

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house generators are running 5k+ for generac I sell at work, no way you’re getting one that can power your house for 6-800.

And he's talking about back-feeding into a 240V outlet but skipping about 10 very important steps to avoid killing people.

Or you can spend about $400 and but a Wen 2200 watt inverter generator that is very quiet and sips fuel and will be able to safely run your aquarium.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house generators are running 5k+ for generac I sell at work, no way you’re getting one that can power your house for 6-800.
You don't need one of those. You get a portable generator from home depot.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he's talking about back-feeding into a 240V outlet but skipping about 10 very important steps to avoid killing people.

Or you can spend about $400 and but a Wen 2200 watt inverter generator that is very quiet and sips fuel and will be able to safely run your aquarium.
You shut off the main breaker, start generator, plug it in. Not rocket science.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a few days, get a Honda inverter/generator, 2kw at least.
They're more money, but quieter and easier on electronics.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bite the bullet and get a whole home generator. Usually for 6-800$ you can take care of everything, not just the tank.
Is there any way I could just swing my idea in the question, I don't know if that's in the budget. I just the rechargeable battery back up possibly paired with an airstone would be good for me. The only reason I am hesitant to get the battery is because I don't know how long a powerhead will last on it.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you said though, get a couple of battery powered airstones. They provide some gas exchange and water movement, which might be all you need for a few hours.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you said though, get a couple of battery powered airstones. They provide some gas exchange and water movement, which might be all you need for a few hours.
So the airstoneshould be enough and I shouldn't be worried about flow? I was thinking about trying to go the route of enough to get me through a week possibly.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way I could just swing my idea in the question, I don't know if that's in the budget. I just the rechargeable battery back up possibly paired with an airstone would be good for me. The only reason I am hesitant to get the battery is because I don't know how long a powerhead will last on it.
Get a marine battery and this

Most dc powerheads can run at reduced speed on 12v. With a good marine battery ($120), it'll last 3 or 4 days at least, longer if intermittent.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a marine battery and this

Most dc powerheads can run at reduced speed on 12v. With a good marine battery ($120), it'll last 3 or 4 days at least, longer if intermittent.

sounds good. does brs or swa.com sell any?

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap, eco tech and others make battery backups specifically for aquarium pumps, look them up on bulk reef supply, specs are listed. Battery powered air pumps are awesome but loud, just stock up on batteries.
As far as how long livestock can survive without flow, I’d say a few hours tops, after that things start going south fast, best to be prepared for sure.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good. does brs or swa.com sell any?
Batteries plus
Look for sales.
This battery has 90 amp×hour capacity, so if your powerhead draws 1 amp it will last almost 4 days running continuously.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading various threads here (and heeding the good advice given), I bought a generator and had a power transfer switch installed in my house. The total cost was about $2000, as I live in a small town in northern (or, to be more accurate, central) Canada. It was pricey, but I thought it was a wise move in an area where winter minimums can (and did, last winter) reach -45C.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back