Powerhead Mounting Help

Samwel14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new to the hobby and am in the process of planning out my first reef tank. The tank that I have selected is 48" long and 24" wide and 20" tall with two flexible return pump discharge points in the middle back of the tank. I am very interested in the Vortech MP40 powerheads but I don't think I will like the look of the powerheads mounted to the side of the tank as I intend to put the tank in an area that will be frequently viewed from the front and both sides. I am really interested in mounting the powerheads to the back of the tank (which will be up against the wall). So here is my question. Will a mixed reef tank with the dimensions listed above be okay with running two powerheads on the back of the tank (will likely go with something like the Reef Breeders Reef Power RP-M V2 as the Vortech will be too thick to fit between the wall and my tank) or am I far better off by sucking it up and dealing with a little less visually pleasing look and mounting the two Vortechs to the sides of the tank? Also, the tank I am getting is "rimless" so if I do mount the powerheads to the sides I will want to run the chord down and not up. I would also love any tips on placement for mounting them to the the back (specifically height) or sides! Thank you!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 71" rimless and I went with a pair of Red Sea ReefWaves on either side (with the cord going on the inside and put the back).

You could certainly run the Vortechs (or any other powerhead) on the back of the tank (you may want to leave a bit of room for access, etc. anyway).

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Samwel14 my tank is of similar dimensions but 24” deep. I have a MP40 on the side and one on the backwall. Depending on your rockwork but two MP40s on the back wall will provide a lot of flow since it will reflect off the front. You might get some quiet spots in the back bottom corners but you should be fine.

OP
OP
S

Samwel14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Samwel14 my tank is of similar dimensions but 24” deep. I have a MP40 on the side and one on the backwall. Depending on your rockwork but two MP40s on the back wall will provide a lot of flow since it will reflect off the front. You might get some quiet spots in the back bottom corners but you should be fine.
Out of curiosity where do you have them positioned? How high on the tank are each of them and are they on the same end or opposite ends of the tank? Edit to add: and is the one one on the side more toward the front or back or the middle? And is the one on the back closer to the side or the middle of the back or in between?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back