Powerhead recommendation MP40 or Gyre

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few years I upgraded from a Red Sea 45 to a IM 100 INT. In that process I up graded to the Neptune WAVs and took my two existing MP10s and put them in the back bottom corner of the tank. Of the years since the thickness of the glass is outside the MP 10s specs 9.5mm for the MPs with glass thickness of 19mm the heads occasionally fall off. While this hasn’t been a problem one of the heads is starting to do it more frequently and is becoming a issue.

I’m trying to decided if I should go with two new MP40s to replace theMP10s or go a different direction and move the WAV heads to where the MP10s currently sit and go with maxspect gyre (or something sim like icecap or redsea). Or do I just get two more WAVs. I like the AI Nero (solely based on cost)but I think I will have the same issues like the MP10s as the glass thickness is outside the AI Specs.

Thoughts???

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think gryes would be really nice. I had decided on them for my 112g but they ended up being too wide because of my overflow boxes

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyres are nice but require more upkeep and I suffer from LARS badly. An MP40 with an extra wetside would be my vote. If you don't have an issue with LARS then gyres would be the way to go and add the WAVS to the bottom of the tank as well.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my gyres on a 6' tank but you need to break them down every 4 months for optimal performance.
With my MP40's, I can go much longer plus it's 50x easier to clean an MP40 wetside then any version of the gyres.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyres are nice but require more upkeep and I suffer from LARS badly. An MP40 with an extra wetside would be my vote. If you don't have an issue with LARS then gyres would be the way to go and add the WAVS to the bottom of the tank as well.
Ah lars, I know it well. Been having a pretty bad flare up for the past 6 or 7 years now

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge fan of the ReefWave 45 Gyres. Using two to handle most of my turbulence needs in the CADE 1500.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah lars, I know it well. Been having a pretty bad flare up for the past 6 or 7 years now
Only two things you can do about it, quit the hobby in disgrace or wholeheartedly embrace it and learn how to deal with the myriad of issues that it will cause.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Maspect Gyre +1 . Throw them in alternating synchronized mode no dead spots . Will not regret

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back