OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a mixed reef with SPS(stylo, acro, monti), LPS(acans, euphyllia, goniopora), Softies (zoas, clove polyps, toadstool leather). The PP-4's come with a controller that will pulse, constant and random(else mode). However, I purchased two Aqualink SL1 wifi controllers. The SL1 does the same plus gyre, two random modes, a mixed mode that goes through all of them and then a scheduler that allows you to program different modes in 24 hours. Both basic and SL1 controller has ups and downs.

Wow.... that's weird. I'm collecting the exact same corals as you! I know they're common but thats the exact list I have both in my tank, and that I am trying to grab whenever I can find them lol. If you find that keeps everything happy, I will really think about that as an option. Have you noticed good PE from your Acropora and everything? I'm getting some now, I'm still in the process of moving them up the tank, but I need more and better flow to I think accomplish what everything needs.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does the job, but for the higher light demanding sps youll give you're colors lacking the pop you bought them for, just muy 2 cents!
Yeah it does the job I need it to right now. Any options that you recommend that also will not break the bank? (student budget but with a desire for pretty corals :) ) I know this started as a flow and powerhead thread, but all of your suggestions seem really knowledgable and I'm hoping to learn from everyone!

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it does the job I need it to right now. Any options that you recommend that also will not break the bank? (student budget but with a desire for pretty corals :) ) I know this started as a flow and powerhead thread, but all of your suggestions seem really knowledgable and I'm hoping to learn from everyone!

I use the black box leds, like mars aqua. Between 60 and 80 bucks, and can how anything you can throw at it.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... that's weird. I'm collecting the exact same corals as you! I know they're common but thats the exact list I have both in my tank, and that I am trying to grab whenever I can find them lol. If you find that keeps everything happy, I will really think about that as an option. Have you noticed good PE from your Acropora and everything? I'm getting some now, I'm still in the process of moving them up the tank, but I need more and better flow to I think accomplish what everything needs.
Jebao's pump are decent pumps. Their only stink is quality control and possible longevity. I have one pump that is sometimes difficult to break apart for cleaning and another I couldn't complain about. In a freshwater tank, I have an older model pump that only works in pulse mode and has only worked in pulse mode for almost 3 years now. Luckily, the powerheads are cheap... having two of them for $100+/- can provide more than enough flow. Two controllers can communicate for more random flow. If one fails, the other is strong enough at 100% to keep your water moving. You can't beat that unless you go controller-less.

I use the black box leds, like mars aqua. Between 60 and 80 bucks, and can how anything you can throw at it.
+1

Great lights for the cost. Can easily change out lenses or led chips if you have to. I run a similar one on my 30.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao's pump are decent pumps. Their only stink is quality control and possible longevity. I have one pump that is sometimes difficult to break apart for cleaning and another I couldn't complain about. In a freshwater tank, I have an older model pump that only works in pulse mode and has only worked in pulse mode for almost 3 years now. Luckily, the powerheads are cheap... having two of them for $100+/- can provide more than enough flow. Two controllers can communicate for more random flow. If one fails, the other is strong enough at 100% to keep your water moving. You can't beat that unless you go controller-less.

+1

Great lights for the cost. Can easily change out lenses or led chips if you have to. I run a similar one on my 30.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I am really thinking about the Jebao ones. They are the price range I am looking for and if everyone is recommending them, then it goes with me basing my purchase off of others' experiences. I will also look at the Mars Aqua lights. Will any one of them work, or is there a specific model that everyone seems to love about these ones?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a comparison thread of the RW-4(model before the PP-4) and the WP-10. The PP-4 was improved over the RW-4 or RW series pumps.
http://www.3reef.com/threads/jebao-rw-4-wp10-comparison.155092/

I will also look at the Mars Aqua lights. Will any one of them work, or is there a specific model that everyone seems to love about these ones?
This model or the 165w model
https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dimmable-Aquarium-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B017GWDF7E

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MarsAqua-Di...181094&hash=item3a8e50f63d:g:JJcAAOSw-3FZKQXL

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a comparison thread of the RW-4(model before the PP-4) and the WP-10. The PP-4 was improved over the RW-4 or RW series pumps.
http://www.3reef.com/threads/jebao-rw-4-wp10-comparison.155092/

This model or the 165w model
https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dimmable-Aquarium-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B017GWDF7E

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MarsAqua-Di...181094&hash=item3a8e50f63d:g:JJcAAOSw-3FZKQXL

That article makes a lot of sense to me- I believe I will end up going with the pp4 after some more research! I will also try and save up for that Mars Aqua light. If I try it out and I like it a lot like everyone recommends, I will probably end up selling my old one. New powerhead is first, light is second. Thank you so much for all of the help!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get 2x Jebao PP-4s. They are cheap (money wise) but last long, work great, and are very customizable. You can easily adjust pulse rate and speed. I have one on my 20 gallon and I love it. When I upgrade soon to a 30 gal I plan to have 2 of them, and will sinc them up to each other to create alternating flow. Can't be them for the price, really.

SIJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 tunze 6055 for my 30g frag tank and absolutely love them compared to my old mp10. They are quieter and in my opinion produce more flow plus better direction functionality.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get 2x Jebao PP-4s. They are cheap (money wise) but last long, work great, and are very customizable. You can easily adjust pulse rate and speed. I have one on my 20 gallon and I love it. When I upgrade soon to a 30 gal I plan to have 2 of them, and will sinc them up to each other to create alternating flow. Can't be them for the price, really.
I think this is the long term plan. My plan is to get a new one and see how I like it, and use it in conjunction with my old one. If I like it, I will save for the second one!

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 tunze 6055 for my 30g frag tank and absolutely love them compared to my old mp10. They are quieter and in my opinion produce more flow plus better direction functionality.
I also really like the look and the descriptions of the tunzes, so I think the final decision will come between this tunze and the jebao pp4. Thank you for the input!

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I commented on this once before but I have changed my mind and the pumps in my tank. Check out Rossmont. Its an Italian company and all of there pumps are sold in pairs, with the cheapest being $80 for 900gph. The only bad thing is that the controller to make it WiFi compatible is $199, however, with the controller it'll have presets for you to use as well as being 100% customizable.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I commented on this once before but I have changed my mind and the pumps in my tank. Check out Rossmont. Its an Italian company and all of there pumps are sold in pairs, with the cheapest being $80 for 900gph. The only bad thing is that the controller to make it WiFi compatible is $199, however, with the controller it'll have presets for you to use as well as being 100% customizable.
Thank you for another recommendation! Have you had experience with these powerheads or do you know someone who has used them?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back