Powerheads and optimal flow for 30 gallon reef

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am starting to get into the more difficult to keep SPS corals and most likely need to increase the flow within my tank. I have an all in one system, and when I first started to get corals I got a simple powerhead. So far, it has accomplished the job. It was rather inexpensive at the fish store and has kept LPS happy, but I do not even know how many gallons per hour it is. How much flow should I have in my tank, as a rate (gallons per hour, etc)? Also, any recommendations for a powerhead that would accomplish the job of giving the adequate high flow in a smaller tank? I don't want to break the bank and get a super expensive one, and I also want to be informed to not buy the crazy high powered one that blasts my fish around. Thank you all!

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elle, I would suggest an Ecotech Vortech MP10. You can adjust the flow rate to meet your needs and it has different modes to alternate currents. They are quite silent and do not have wires inside the tank which is a bonus at least to me. They are workhorses and can often be found on the forums for sale used to save a few $$.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elle, I would suggest an Ecotech Vortech MP10. You can adjust the flow rate to meet your needs and it has different modes to alternate currents. They are quite silent and do not have wires inside the tank which is a bonus at least to me. They are workhorses and can often be found on the forums for sale used to save a few $$.

Thank you so much! I was looking at those because everyone seems to love them, but I had no idea if I could justify the price. I will be on the lookout though!

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao and Tunze are great cheaper versions. Also check in on Aqamai. Fairly new product but I havent heard anything bad so far, only great things.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 for that, I have one on my 30 gallon for almost 2 years now and no issues whatsoever. It only runs at about 50% but the different programs are great and easy to adjust.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for that, I have one on my 30 gallon for almost 2 years now and no issues whatsoever. It only runs at about 50% but the different programs are great and easy to adjust.
That's good! I just didn't know if it would be too powerful in my tank, or how adjustable it would be.

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good! I just didn't know if it would be too powerful in my tank, or how adjustable it would be.

It has a number of preset programs which is easy enough to set. It then has a dial to adjust the actual flow, really easy and simple to use.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a number of preset programs which is easy enough to set. It then has a dial to adjust the actual flow, really easy and simple to use.
I really like the idea of adjustability. I think it would make everything easier for sure.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Tunze and Jebao, what models do you guys recommend?
I use two Jebao PP-4 in my 30 gallon AIO. I've only ever used jebao on this tank so I couldn't comment on a comparison.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running Tunze 6025 on my 54 gallon corner FOWLR tank. However I am in the process of setting up a 29 gal nano mixed reef and I myself and going with the maxspect gyre xf230. Mainly because I like the fact that I can completely randomize the flow and I don't have to run the pump but at about half power... (40% honesly) and it will give the the effects of multiple powerheads without having a bunch of stuff inside my DT. Last but not least I like that it is thin and can be somewhat hide against the black background of my tank. Just my
.02 and the other suggestions up there are solid also. [emoji106][emoji106]

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light do you have? I have a Ecotech light as well and my understanding is that the two actually 'talk' to one another.
I have a JBJ light that came with my aquarium. It's an LED light that does the job, but you just plug it into the wall. Nothing fancy :)

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao wp10, works wonders, and for sps your gonna wanna upgrade that light. A black box led film eBay worked well on my jbj

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two Jebao PP-4 in my 30 gallon AIO. I've only ever used jebao on this tank so I couldn't comment on a comparison.

I will look into that one! What corals do you keep in it, and how much can you vary glow and the patterns of flow?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into that one! What corals do you keep in it, and how much can you vary glow and the patterns of flow?
I keep a mixed reef with SPS(stylo, acro, monti), LPS(acans, euphyllia, goniopora), Softies (zoas, clove polyps, toadstool leather). The PP-4's come with a controller that will pulse, constant and random(else mode). However, I purchased two Aqualink SL1 wifi controllers. The SL1 does the same plus gyre, two random modes, a mixed mode that goes through all of them and then a scheduler that allows you to program different modes in 24 hours. Both basic and SL1 controller has ups and downs.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao wp10, works wonders, and for sps your gonna wanna upgrade that light. A black box led film eBay worked well on my jbj

I have the JBJ lt-120 Orion. It came with the tank and seems like a good light with PAR at top around 300ish

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the JBJ lt-120 Orion. It came with the tank and seems like a good light with PAR at top around 300ish

It does the job, but for the higher light demanding sps youll give you're colors lacking the pop you bought them for, just muy 2 cents!

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running Tunze 6025 on my 54 gallon corner FOWLR tank. However I am in the process of setting up a 29 gal nano mixed reef and I myself and going with the maxspect gyre xf230. Mainly because I like the fact that I can completely randomize the flow and I don't have to run the pump but at about half power... (40% honesly) and it will give the the effects of multiple powerheads without having a bunch of stuff inside my DT. Last but not least I like that it is thin and can be somewhat hide against the black background of my tank. Just my
.02 and the other suggestions up there are solid also. [emoji106][emoji106]

I will look into this as well! Thank you for the suggestion.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back