Powerheads Upgrade

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, I have a 55 Gallon, currently running 2 x rio 1200's - 1 on each end. and a couple small AQ30's from back to front to break up the flow.

It sucks basicly ... thin jets of flow .. I have been reading about these Hydor, and Tunze propeller deals.... They seem awsome.

ANyone have any experience with them, and whats the minimum that I can get away with that will still be better than my current setup ( I can add another one later - or leave my 1200's in there till then etc.)

I don't have much $ for it right now so I can't just go buy the 2 of the biggest tunze ones liek I want :) lol.

Any advice?

Thanks
Ryan

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would suggest the nano-stream line of tunze pumps.......IF they can freakin get their act together and make a pump that doesn't break.

they are still by far my most favorite pump, but b/c i'm on my 4th replacement set in the last 10months, i'm a little conflicted about it......

gm333

Reef drooler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the hydor korallia 4's for a couple of months now. I just had one go out on me this weekend. I have already contacted Hydor and they are sending me a new one. Other than that I have had no problems with them.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would suggest the nano-stream line of tunze pumps.......IF they can freakin get their act together and make a pump that doesn't break.

they are still by far my most favorite pump, but b/c i'm on my 4th replacement set in the last 10months, i'm a little conflicted about it......

ive just heard of the 6025's being the biggest problem.....he can use the 6045's(2).

Last edited:

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two moded mj and love them far better then the hydor 4 by all means. easy to put to gather. and the flow is awsome. i have one of each a 1500 gph mod and a 2400 gph mod i wouldnt change them for anything.

OP
OP
rpogge2

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two moded mj and love them far better then the hydor 4 by all means. easy to put to gather. and the flow is awsome. i have one of each a 1500 gph mod and a 2400 gph mod i wouldnt change them for anything.

What is a modded MJ please tell !

NM found mjmods.com via google!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rpogge2

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the mjmod.com page. Looks like the best option for me since I already own 2 x MJ1200's and I am on a budget. Problem is they are SOLD OUT of everything lol. Anyone know where I can pick up 2 mod kits other than thier website ? :)

Also with my 55gal tank, and 2 x MJ 1200's ... shoudl I go with the 1200GPH or the 2400GPH kits ... or one of each?

thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
rpogge2

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the new sureflow 1600 kit at Premium Aquatics if you can't find the mj mod kit.

ANyone have any experience with these. IM hesitant because it is alot cheaper than the MJ mods. Looks the same though to me.

I guess Im going to go ahead and order 2 of them, Ill report back with results!

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that one from Premium Aquatics looks nice . one not much to put together. two it comes with a mount . cant beat that i may have to get one just for the mount.

gm333

Reef drooler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^What happened to it? I've had both of mine for months and they are working perfectly.
Well I thought the magnet may have had too much gunk in it, I pulled it out cleaned it then put it back in and still didnt work. Have no idea I guess something went wrong on the motor end.
Hydor is sending me a whole new unit so no problem there, I just have to deal with a crappy powerhead from walmart till I get the new Hydor back.

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought the magnet may have had too much gunk in it, I pulled it out cleaned it then put it back in and still didnt work. Have no idea I guess something went wrong on the motor end.
Hydor is sending me a whole new unit so no problem there, I just have to deal with a crappy powerhead from walmart till I get the new Hydor back.

I see. No problems with mine.

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these mj mods work with wave makers. The impeller changes direction almost every time the mj turns on and off. Does that not mean that water will flow into the unit in stead of out sometimes. Are they only supposed to be used on continuous flow systems

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back