Prazipro alternative (not available in my country)

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it looks like I've got flukes in the DT.
It'll be impossible to catch any fish at all, so I'll have to treat the DT.

Prazipro however isn't sold in my country (Netherlands). Did manage to order some on ebay, but shipping is at least 2 weeks from the US, possibly even longer.
So are there any coral and shrimp safe alternatives for prazipro?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally will treat gill flukes in a reef tank safely. Some corals may get a bit angry, but no harm long term.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can, but only as a dewormer for cats and dogs (Panacur), would that work as well?

Yes that’s what it’s used for here too but there are “fish” versions made as well. Check out the SDS , what else does it contain?

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internet says this for 500 mg pills:
Lactose 1 H2O, corn starch, silica, hydroxyethyl cellulose, sodium amylopectin glycate, magnesium stearate

The paste contains the following (1g of paste), in addition to 187,5 mg fenbendazole:
Methyl-4-hydroxybenzoat (1,7 mg), Propyl-4-hydroxybenzoat (0,16 mg), carbomer, propylene glycol, glycerol 85%, sorbitol, sodium hydroxide, purified water

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, so I realized I can get praziquantel as well, which is basically what prazipro is, right? Only available as dewormer for dogs and horses and contains pyrantel, febantel and pork for flavor.

Also came across Kusuri fluke p, which treats flukes in koi fish. Does anyone know anything about that? Contains oxydipropanol and praziquantel, though I'm not sure about quantities as it's not specified.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I looked it up Oxybis and Oxydi are the same thing. It's a chemical that keeps the praziquantel in solution. It's what's in PraziPro. Should work perfect for you.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I looked it up Oxybis and Oxydi are the same thing. It's a chemical that keeps the praziquantel in solution. It's what's in PraziPro. Should work perfect for you.
Thanks!

Just 1 more question though, stores are closed at the moment anyway so I can't buy anything.
I've read something about levamisole as a reefsafe treatment for flukes as well. Any thoughts on that? I have use that stuff in the past on freshwater fish. It was extremely effective but I'm not sure if corals, snails, shrimp etc. would survive a treatment.

Levamisole would be easier and a lot cheaper for me to get, because I can just get it at the vet on monday, instead of having it to order online.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kusuri fluke p is a 5% prazi by weight which is the same as Prazipro. Dosage should be the same.
Thanks!

Just 1 more question though, stores are closed at the moment anyway so I can't buy anything.
I've read something about levamisole as a reefsafe treatment for flukes as well. Any thoughts on that? I have use that stuff in the past on freshwater fish. It was extremely effective but I'm not sure if corals, snails, shrimp etc. would survive a treatment.

Levamisole would be easier and a lot cheaper for me to get, because I can just get it at the vet on monday, instead of having it to order online.
Levamisole would be bad news to any inverts in the tank. Corals and nems it seems to vary a bit depending on the dosage and the type of coral. I wouldn't recommend using it in anything other than a QT.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back