Prazipro with Leopard and Dot Dash wrasse

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue star leopard wrasse and an absolutely beautiful dot dash flasher wrasse in QT. Both fish were eating great yesterday. So I dosed prazipro last night. Now today the leopard wrasse has not come out of the sand and the Dot Dash flasher is laying inside of the PVC and not swimming around anymore. I dosed a little BioSpira yesterday before dosing the prazi. Is this normal after dosing prazipro and should I be concerned? These are both awesome fish and I do not want to lose anymore wrasse. I may even just put them in the DT after this since I'm so sick of wrasse dying in QT despite all my efforts

20190331_130610.jpg

Resized_20190401_100730.jpeg

20190323_092948.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the dose was right for actual water volume? Wrasses are a bit sensitive to over-dosing prazi... with them it’s better to slightly under-dose rather than over dose.

Also, how is your O2? Powerhead aimed at the surface?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the dose was right for actual water volume? Wrasses are a bit sensitive to over-dosing prazi... with them it’s better to slightly under-dose rather than over dose.

Also, how is your O2? Powerhead aimed at the surface?
It's likely an oxygen issue. Increase aeration as much as possible at the surface.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 20 gallon Qt tank so I dosed 1 teaspoon measured into the tank last night at like 7pm. I have a HOB filter and also a sponge filter with air bubbles going through it for oxygenation.

So add more air pumps with air stones? I have a small power head I could throw in too but I dont want to stress them out

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a small powerhead laying around you could throw in, I would do that... the dose mentioned should have been fine. You can’t “over-oxygenate” a medicated QT :)

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just threw in a small powerhead and pointed it straight at the surface of the water. Fingers crossed this helps!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they still looked stressed this evening, you can go ahead and do a water change. 24 hours is plenty of time for the prazi to do its job. They will still need a second dose in 5-7 days, though.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I've got water on standby just in case. Do you treat all your wrasse with copper or is it not worth it? I've lost 5 wrasse now so I'm weighing if it's worth skipping the copper to go into my DT after 2nd round of prazi

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the dot dash wrasse is already swimming around again and acting normal! Thank you so much for the tip, I would have though I had plenty of oxygen

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I've got water on standby just in case. Do you treat all your wrasse with copper or is it not worth it? I've lost 5 wrasse now so I'm weighing if it's worth skipping the copper to go into my DT after 2nd round of prazi

I treat all of my wrasses with copper, yes. Just ramp up the level VERY slowly, over at least 4-5 days. I’ve only had one copper-sensitive fairy wrasse, in his case I had to lower the copper for a couple of days and bring it back up even more slowly.

I also use cupramine, since it’s what I have and I’ve used it forever. Others have had better luck with chelated copper and sensitive fish.

OP
OP
Mrcote1

Mrcote1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I have one more question in regards to the flasher wrasse, a couple of its filaments lost their color, then a day later broke off (about half of the filament). This happened to 2 of the filaments. The leopard wrasse definitely did not do it. Is this really bad? And will the filaments come back?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back